ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

WTC

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

sapnic
Newly Registered

WTC

Post by sapnic » Thu May 16, 2013 4:36 pm

I'm on spouse visa and restricted to public fund, both I and my wife working full time, my wife recently applied for WTC and the form asked about my details so she provided all my details.

she is receiving approximately 114 pounds per month from two/tree months.
she received a letter from that as I am under restriction so I will not get any benefits but based on her income they have judged our case and granted her this amount as WTC...

we are moving and thinking to claim HB/ CTB while my wife will search for a job obviously till she get her job she would claim JSA

will this affect when I will apply for ILR march next year ?

we hope we will not need to take these benefits for long time though

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Thu May 16, 2013 4:49 pm

Tax benefits have to be claimed in joint names. When applying for Housing Benefit your wife must notify the authorities that you are under immigration control. The claim will then be based on her and any children in your family.

sapnic
Newly Registered

Post by sapnic » Thu May 16, 2013 4:55 pm

thank you very much for your reply ...

can she claim council tax benefits as well ?

do we need to go to council and discuss before we claim these benefits as often online application are quite confusing and misleading,

so do you think it's okay that she's getting WTC benefit ?

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Thu May 16, 2013 5:05 pm

sapnic wrote:thank you very much for your reply ...

can she claim council tax benefits as well ?

do we need to go to council and discuss before we claim these benefits as often online application are quite confusing and misleading,

so do you think it's okay that she's getting WTC benefit ?
You can claim tax credits providing it is a joint claim. You can claim housing benefit and council tax reduction/benefit, the claim must be joint, however, the award for housing benefit and council tax reduction/benefit must be a single person amount not a couple amount as you are subject to immigration control. Going into see them would be better than an online application if possible.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

sapnic
Newly Registered

Post by sapnic » Thu May 16, 2013 5:19 pm

thanks,

when she will start claiming JSA then will automatically our WTC will get stopped as she is not working ?

can she apply for HB and CT reduction benefits same time as she will claim her JSA. I believe it would be automatically the contribution based JSA as she is working for 4/5 years and didn't claimed any benefits.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Thu May 16, 2013 5:54 pm

sapnic wrote:thanks,

when she will start claiming JSA then will automatically our WTC will get stopped as she is not working ?

can she apply for HB and CT reduction benefits same time as she will claim her JSA. I believe it would be automatically the contribution based JSA as she is working for 4/5 years and didn't claimed any benefits.
If you are working the required number of hours, the wtc may continue. The JSA claim will be contribution based for 6 months if your wife meets the NI requirements. Whether it is contribution or income based it should only be a single person amount (£7x per week) as you are subject to immigration control.

You need to apply for hb and ctb at the council offices to ensure it is done correctly and your income is included in the calculation.
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

djchoclate

amount of working tax credit for full time couple

Post by djchoclate » Mon May 20, 2013 10:07 am

Hi, i am eea2 holder and my partner is eu national and we both work full time together (at least 60hours a week) and our annual income is about 16000 together. and we have a one child as well. Can we apply for working tax credit??? if yes, how much will we get??? Will we be able to get the basic amount which is £1920.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: amount of working tax credit for full time couple

Post by Amber » Mon May 20, 2013 10:31 am

djchoclate wrote:Hi, i am eea2 holder and my partner is eu national and we both work full time together (at least 60hours a week) and our annual income is about 16000 together. and we have a one child as well. Can we apply for working tax credit??? if yes, how much will we get??? Will we be able to get the basic amount which is £1920.
Continue in your other thread http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=135340 please

sapnic
Newly Registered

JSA and WTC same time

Post by sapnic » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:49 am

I'm working part time 20 hours per week (6.30 per hour) also working as a self employed taxi driver same time working 25 hours approx weekly and earning 120/130 per week (after all the deduction just profit) yearly all together my total earning is appox 12 to 13 K
We recently relocated and my wife was looking for job and taking contribution based JSA what she claimed as single as I'm under immigration control.

she is two months pregnant and don't want to look for job anymore, she worked for the previous co for nine months and left the co. end of may and since she's claiming JSA.

we are recieving WTC based on the past calculation while we both use to work.

What benifits we can claim ?

We are moving to a house rent is £775 PCM and we would need to claim HB & CT reduction benifits as with my total wage it would be difficult to survive ... On top of our general expenses we have a handsome amount of monthly payment of bank loan

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:13 am

It is not one of the purposes of this board to give you details about the quantum of the benefits might receive, but as regards :-
we are recieving WTC based on the past calculation while we both use to work.
-: notify the change of circumstances to the Tax Credits office and given what you have posted they might start to pay more.
John

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:32 am

You should use the benefits calculator here (click)

When the contribution based JSA stops (after 6 months) then claim can then be Income Based JSA subject to income, capital and circumstances, again this should be a joint claim but only a single applicable amount paid though if you're earning as above your wife may not get anything.

You may be entitled to Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit/Reduction, this again needs to be a joint claim but a single amount paid. If you receive Income Based JSA it would be full HB and CTB/CTR subject to the LHA limits.

The HMRC needs to be informed that your wife has ceased working otherwise you'll face an overpayment. Remember if you're self-employed you can use time doing admin etc towards the number of hours, on your own you do not work enough at the moment unless your admin is ~10 hrs a week.

Once the child is born benefits should include Child Benefit, Child Tax Credits and possibly the Sure Start Maternity grant.

This is just a rough guide as it's subject to circumstances which I will not go into on this forum.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:54 pm

sapnic,are you working 20 + 25 = 45 hours per week? Or have I misunderstood what you have posted?
D4109125 wrote:The HMRC needs to be informed that your wife has ceased working otherwise you'll face an overpayment.
Certainly the Tax Credits office need to be told, but there would not necessarily be an overpayment. After all the wife's earnings have now ceased = family income has gone down.
John

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:44 pm

John wrote:sapnic,are you working 20 + 25 = 45 hours per week? Or have I misunderstood what you have posted?
D4109125 wrote:The HMRC needs to be informed that your wife has ceased working otherwise you'll face an overpayment.
Certainly the Tax Credits office need to be told, but there would not necessarily be an overpayment. After all the wife's earnings have now ceased = family income has gone down.
I read that he was only working 25 hours per week and thus was not entitled to tax credits thus an overpayment. My mistake as it appears he's working 45 hours I missed the other job. However, if one member of a couple stops working you are required to inform HMRC within one month otherwise you can face a penalty.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:54 pm

D4109125, indeed so,
John