ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can't apply to college while waiting for UKBA?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

studu
Newly Registered

Can't apply to college while waiting for UKBA?

Post by studu » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:10 pm

I've been living in the UK for nearly 8 years as an EEA family member. I have applied for Permanent Residence Card (EEA4) at the end of December and received my Certificate of Application on the 22nd of January so it's been 6.5 months.

The issue at hand is that the college is claiming that I can't begin my course unless I have proof that I'm allowed to live in the UK for the duration of the course (which is at least 1 year).

However, one would expect that their life would continue as normal rather than having it frozen for over 6 months.

The question is, can the college deny to offer me the course under those grounds?

I understand their situation and they have been very helpful and understanding. But the college has its financial and legal obligations as well, so it's perfectly understandable.

askmeplz82
Diamond Member

Re: Can't apply to college while waiting for UKBA?

Post by askmeplz82 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:17 pm

studu wrote:I've been living in the UK for nearly 8 years as an EEA family member. I have applied for Permanent Residence Card (EEA4) at the end of December and received my Certificate of Application on the 22nd of January so it's been 6.5 months.

The issue at hand is that the college is claiming that I can't begin my course unless I have proof that I'm allowed to live in the UK for the duration of the course (which is at least 1 year).

However, one would expect that their life would continue as normal rather than having it frozen for over 6 months.

The question is, can the college deny to offer me the course under those grounds?

I understand their situation and they have been very helpful and understanding. But the college has its financial and legal obligations as well, so it's perfectly understandable.
AGREE: can't complain they are worried if they are fined by UKBA. you may want to defer your study next semester. They may accept it. By the way you know as an EU family member you will be paying EU/UK STUDENT FEES not international

studu
Newly Registered

Post by studu » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:21 pm

I've been aware of that since I became interested in studying again. Another issue is the student loan which will most likely also require this decision by the UKBA. My case is very straightforward, I can't believe their officials could really spend more than a couple of hours checking my background.

This is a nightmare.

askmeplz82
Diamond Member

Post by askmeplz82 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:23 pm

studu wrote:I've been aware of that since I became interested in studying again. Another issue is the student loan which will most likely also require this decision by the UKBA. My case is very straightforward, I can't believe their officials could really spend more than a couple of hours checking my background.

This is a nightmare.
PR 5 -10 months

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:29 pm

Make a claim against UKBA for damages for breach of 18(2)?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

studu
Newly Registered

Post by studu » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:47 pm

vinny wrote:Make a claim against UKBA for damages for breach of 18(2)?
That's very helpful. Thank you.

What worries the most is staying one year away. The money not so much. That claim seems to be more of an afterwards thing. I still don't know how to go by suing them when I didn't actually lose money since I have and will be working this whole time.

wiggsy

Post by wiggsy » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:05 am

studu wrote:
vinny wrote:Make a claim against UKBA for damages for breach of 18(2)?
That's very helpful. Thank you.

What worries the most is staying one year away. The money not so much. That claim seems to be more of an afterwards thing. I still don't know how to go by suing them when I didn't actually lose money since I have and will be working this whole time.
loss of potential earnings from the pay rise you will get from your increased knowledge after completing your course...

what is the difference in pay between what you earn now, and what you can earn with your new qualification?

Perhaps if your current boss suggested the course for a pay rise upon completion or something? :)

studu
Newly Registered

Post by studu » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:06 am

This is a job I'll quit if I go back to study. So the situation is complicated in many ways. As for potential earnings, I doubt there's much of a difference considering how graduating won't give me an edge over my current experience (they are two different areas). I wanna study for the sheer wish to improve myself, not the job prospects.