ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Passport Return

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

vinayunited

Passport Return

Post by vinayunited » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:31 am

If I apply for an EEA2 in October. How soon can i request my passport back from the Home Office to travel.

If i ask for my passport to be returned will that stop my application.

Would I be able to travel even if the home office is reviewing my application.

Thanks

obormot
Member of Standing
France

Post by obormot » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:08 am

- people request passports as soon as they apply (or as soon as they see that application reached UKBA). I requested it about two weeks after sending application, and got it about a week later:
App. sent on 17.07, got letter confirming that they got my app. on 23.07, passports requested (applicant + sponsor) on 31.07, passports returned on 08.08, COA received on the same day 08.08.
- returning your passport will not stop your EEA application
- if you have valid EEA Family Permit in your passport, you can travel. If you do not, UKBA advises you to get a new one before returning (in the letter they send you when they return your passport they say "if you travel you will need to apply for EEA family permit before returning; it is free, but you have to supply all the supporting evidence").
Many people say you can return with just with COA + (better!) supporting documents (i.e. you are better off if you can obtain yet another original of your marriage or birth certificate, payslips, etc., apart form those UKBA will keep while considering your app.). Hoverer, if you are a visa national, you will not be allowed to board the plain without visa, so I guess this is a way for people who can enter UK without visa (like those with US passport).

vinayunited

Post by vinayunited » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:30 am

I am presuming it was much easier for you as you already were a European citizen looking for an EEA2 for your mother.

I don't have an EEA family permit but I do have a work visa until February so I guess I should be able to travel for Christmas and come back in January without much hassle as long as they return my passport back in time.

obormot
Member of Standing
France

Post by obormot » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:48 pm

Well, my issue is with my mother who will need to travel (on Russian passport).. She has her Family permit till mid-January, but I am concerned she will need to travel exactly around that time and will not be able to return before the end of Family permit.
My hope is that by that time they will send us her Residence (on a separate paper), I will pass it to her, and then she will re-enter UK using it.

I would recommend to check on whether your work visa will be OK to use for re-entry still, even after you apply for EEA2 (my guess it should be). Take COA + copies of all the file you submitted to UKBA (and your sponsor in person, if possible!), to show at the border if asked.