ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Last minute Tier 1 to Tier 2 Switch

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

tavish911

Last minute Tier 1 to Tier 2 Switch

Post by tavish911 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:33 am

Hello, I'm new here so I do apologize if this is a redundant post.

I am on a Tier 1 PSW expiring 30th Aug 2013 - 3 weeks from now.

I have been given a verbal offer by a company who DO NOT have a Tier 2 Sponsor License yet but had already applied when I was giving the interview - which was two weeks back. It's now been 3 weeks since they applied and as per UK BA there are no current backlogs and average turnaround time is 4 weeks for license issuing. Now by that theory about next week they should have a license and I can apply for a visa with 2 weeks to spare but that's all theory. I understand that once I apply, that will extend my current visa till the date of conclusion of the Tier 2 application.

I am a bit worried (!!) and I am wondering if there is something that I should know? The sort of thing I might look back and say "I wish I knew that back then"?

The company say that as of yesterday, the UK BA asked them for further documents and they are not sure if the 4 weeks is from date of application or from date of final document submission. If it's four weeks from yesterday, I'm screwed!

The company is a legitimate international SME with everything in place so there shouldn't really be a problem

What is the worst case scenario if they get a license after my visa expires? Is it much worse to apply from home (Bombay)?

Is there a grace period where I can stay here till they get a license?

In summary, I am presenting y situation and looking for some expert opinion on the matter.

Thank you in advance everyone

iworker
Diamond Member
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by iworker » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:55 pm

good news:
since ukba has asked for docs, it means that the case is under process and not in the pile.. so the outcome can be expected soon. (i also recomend that the company sends as email to case worker to expedite the process since they have to employ a person whose visa is expiring. they should have a direct contact of the case woker if they have received a request of further docs).

applying from india:
if u apply within uk, since u are on psw, u will need un restricted cos which is fairly easy to get. If u apply from india, then not only that the company needs to issue u with restricted cos (whoese quoa is limited ), they will also have to undergo a RLMT.. which is cumbersome process of advertising the job for so many days and in so many sources.

things u should know now than later:
if u do not have a bank statement of £900 (if u are applying alone) for the last 3 months ready, then u need to ask emplyer that once they are issuing u the cos, they should click on the maintaince tab to certify that they will support u for the first month if required.

tavish911

Post by tavish911 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:22 pm

Thank you!

Nothing as of yet - so a bit unnerving but should be okay.

Anyone been in a similar situation before?

tavish911

Update..

Post by tavish911 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:57 pm

Guess what - I noticed that since yesterday the company's name is listed in the publicly available list of sponsors - but when I contacted the copany they said they have not heard anything!

Today, still nothing and they said that they have WRITTEN to the UK BA asking them about the inclusion and if they can provide the CoS soon as they can only WRITE to them not call anyone up. They take 'up to 48 hours' to reply so hopefully something should come up tomorrow.

Sigh.. I've got 15 days left on my visa and no formal offer letter till they get a license.. this is getting scary.

manci
Respected Guru

Post by manci » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:40 pm

if the company is on the list of registered sponsors, which is updated daily, they got the licence, However the Level 1 user will only receive one piece of information enabling him/her to access the SMS by post and this will take some time to come. CoSs cannot be assigned until there is a Level 1 user who can access the SMS.

Check with the employer that when applying for the licence they have also requested at least one unrestricted CoS allocation (for you).

There is a telephone helpline for employers: 0300 123 4699.

Suggest the employer emails the HO asking for the information enabling the Level 1 user to access the SMS urgently on the grounds that a migrant's visa to whom the CoS will be assigned is expiring within (1 week?).

tavish911

Post by tavish911 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:35 am

Thank you Manci.

You seem to know the minor details of the process so I appreciate your detailed reply.

Th company applied for the license a week BEFORE my interview so I don't think they would have asked for an allocation for me but would that be a problem?

As of today I have ten calendar days on my Tier 1 Visa left and they have not heard anything at all. They say that the phone number does not provide them with any particular information, only general help - and that specific information needs to be inquired in writing.

grif-fin

Post by grif-fin » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:39 am

Hi tavish911, have you got your cases sorted? did it work for you after you asked for expediting the licencing procedure?

manci
Respected Guru

Post by manci » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:32 am

tavish911 wrote:Thank you Manci.

You seem to know the minor details of the process so I appreciate your detailed reply.

Th company applied for the license a week BEFORE my interview so I don't think they would have asked for an allocation for me but would that be a problem? Yes it would be, the company wouldn't be able to assign a CoS unless they had an allocation of unrestricted CoSs. Normally when licences are applied for at least one CoS allocation is also requested. Check with the company.

As of today I have ten calendar days on my Tier 1 Visa left and they have not heard anything at all. They say that the phone number does not provide them with any particular information, only general help - and that specific information needs to be inquired in writing.
ask the company to email requesting urgent treatment:
sponsorlicensing.support@ukba.gsi.gov.uk
SponsorProgress@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk
and enclose a copy of your visa with the email

tavish911

Post by tavish911 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:19 pm

Thank you Manci.

I will check with them.

They did have a license earlier but it expired so they do know the procedure.

I will keep you updated with the progress.

regards

tavish911

Post by tavish911 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:08 pm

They have apparently asked for two certificates to start with so that's covered.

However, still no news! This is 5 days after the public document of sponsors has their name on it.

More waiting...

Also.. VERY IMPORTANT.. Since I will have absolutely no room for error, what do I need to submit for application when I finally get CoS?

The financial bit is taken care of by the company who will put a tick in the box to say they will cover my expenses for the 1st months etc.

The English language bit - I have a UK based MSc

The passport...

Anything else?

Also, is there an appointment involved? An interview or such? Will I need payslips? I have not been employed for the past few months.

manci
Respected Guru

Post by manci » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:51 pm

go through the application form and most of your questions will be answered:
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... nform1.pdf
there is also guidance at the end of the form.

tavish911

Post by tavish911 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:41 pm

Thank you. Its incredible how helpful this place is.

I read through the whole document and don't foresee any problems.

I have two queries though -

1. When they ask me how I claim English language points, they list Tier 1 Visa as an option. Does having a Tier PSW mean that qualifies me for English language points? Or should I choose the part that says I claim points due to having done a MSc in UK? I had done IELTS about 4 years back but that's obviously expired now.

2. Still no word form UK BA. Is there any concrete information on how long it usually takes from being listed in the public list of sponsors to actually getting L1 authorization? It's been a full week so far. And 9 days to go on visa.

I don't mean to ask for spoonfed information, I have searched through the forums and have not come across the information.

Thank you again guys, you're awesome!

manci
Respected Guru

Post by manci » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:28 am

tavish911 wrote:Thank you. Its incredible how helpful this place is.

I read through the whole document and don't foresee any problems.

I have two queries though -

1. When they ask me how I claim English language points, they list Tier 1 Visa as an option. Does having a Tier PSW mean that qualifies me for English language points? Or should I choose the part that says I claim points due to having done a MSc in UK? I had done IELTS about 4 years back but that's obviously expired now. The reference on the form is to T1G which you don't have. You have T1 PSW. If you have a UK degree tick the second box at N2

2. Still no word form UK BA. Is there any concrete information on how long it usually takes from being listed in the public list of sponsors to actually getting L1 authorization? It's been a full week so far. And 9 days to go on visa. Your employer should keep nudging the HO (email addresses above)
I don't mean to ask for spoonfed information, I have searched through the forums and have not come across the information.

Thank you again guys, you're awesome!

tavish911

CoS number received

Post by tavish911 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:54 pm

Thank you.

The post finally arrived yesterday evening and I have the CoS number today (22nd Aug).

Just wanted to thank you all for everything, especially Manci.

I will keep you guys updated.

regards