ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Invalid appelication and ILR ( lawfull gap)

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

carl2000
Newly Registered

Invalid appelication and ILR ( lawfull gap)

Post by carl2000 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:22 pm

Hello,I'm new to this forum . It would be sincerely appreciated if any one you guys can help me answer the questions I have.
My question is about 10 year long residency and 'gap in lawful residency'.
In 2012 , 31th may my visa was finished and I applied for extension same day (by royal mail next day service) .11th June 2012 my application was returned as invalid . I failed to fill up a mandatory section. By 28th June I applied again for extension .28th August 2012 I got extension ( issue date was 28th August)
My question is how it will effect if I apply for ILR?
How long is my gap? Will it be count from 1st June to 28th August (3 month gap) Or 1st June to 28th June (28 days gap)
Can I apply for ILR?
Thanks

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:28 pm

You should be ok given that you reapplied within 28 days of a decision of invalidity of an in time application.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

carl2000
Newly Registered

Post by carl2000 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:53 pm

Thank you guru, for prompt answer. when I applied on 28th June I did not have any valid leave . Is it deemed as out of time application? tnx

vinny

Re: Lawful gap for 10 years ILR

Post by vinny » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:45 am

carl2000 wrote:Hello,I'm new to this forum . It would be sincerely appreciated if any one you guys can help me answer the questions I have.
In 2012 , 31th may my visa was finished and I applied for extension same day (by royal mail next day service) .11th June 2012 my application was returned as invalid . I failed to fill up a mandatory section. By 28th June I applied again for extension .28th August 2012 I got extension ( issue date was 28th August)
How long is my gap? Will it be count from 1st June to 28th August (3 month gap) Or 1st June to 28th June (28 days gap)
Can I apply for ILR?
Thanks
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:17 am

carl2000 wrote:Thank you guru, for prompt answer. when I applied on 28th June I did not have any valid leave . Is it deemed as out of time application? tnx
Yes.

However, as Amber stated, this shouldn't be a problem for your Long residence application.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.

Soban

Re: Invalid appelication and ILR ( lawfull gap)

Post by Soban » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:28 pm

carl2000 wrote:Hello,I'm new to this forum . It would be sincerely appreciated if any one you guys can help me answer the questions I have.
Can I apply for ILR?
Thanks
Hi Carl2000. It's a tricky question. I find myself in the same situation as you. I submitted an in time application but it was returned to me within the next few days due to invalid bank card details. And By the time I reapplied, my current leave had expired by 17 days.

According to UKBA's guidance notes all absences less than 28 days will be disregarded. Now this sounds encouraging but they also say the following:

If a person submits an out-of-time application, they will have a gap in continuous lawful residence, from the date their leave expired until the date they are next granted leave, regardless of how long it takes for the decision to be made. For an example of this, see example 5 in related link: Examples of continuous lawful residence

So according to the above paragraph you and me have had absences of more than 28 days. But one can still be optimistic and hopeful as their guidance notes also state that absences of more than 28 days may be disregarded in exceptional circumstances.

Lets hope the gaps in continuous residency are seen as "accidental" and allowable.
--

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:00 am

What do you mean by 'invalid bank card details'? See also Invalid application due to payment problems?

Soban

Post by Soban » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:56 pm

vinny wrote:What do you mean by 'invalid bank card details'? See also Invalid application due to payment problems?
Hi Vinny,

They weren't able to debit my acc for the required application fees amount. This was back in 2007, so I can't remember if they marked my application as invalid or not. All I remember is getting all documents back by post and re applying soon after that.

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:05 pm

They may be unable to prove that your application was invalid.