ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

How can I know Im Irish or British? Im from N. Ireland.

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ZCNCIE
Newly Registered

How can I know Im Irish or British? Im from N. Ireland.

Post by ZCNCIE » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:40 pm

Hello, first at all, thanks for readig this post. I just have one question about nationality and citizen.

My husband he is from N. Ireland, he sees himself as a Irih, and all his family number are local Irish, but he holds Irish and British passports.
So is he Irish only, or British only, or dual Irish, British citizenship?
Or he is Irish nationality, British nationality, or dual Irish, British nationalities?

I mixed this up, hope someone smart can explain this to me.
Thank you very very much!

Z.

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by chaoclive » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:58 pm

Obviously he, like myself, is a dual national with 2 citizenships (Irish/British). I'm guessing you're thinking about the EEA Treaty Rights... If so, after the results of McCarthy, he would not be able to rely on his Irish citizenship to help you apply for a visa in the UK. Nor would he be able to rely on his British citizenship in Ireland for the same. He has not MOVED if he is a citizen of the country in which he lives and works. Moving to another EU country would be an option (e.g. Spain/France); obviously he has to work/be self-employed/be self-sufficient/study etc. Please note that there are different requirements for students/self-sufficient people (i.e. medical insurance). He could then apply under Surinder Singh.

I'm in the same situation and am considering renouncing Irish citizenship and moving to find a job in Dublin. This is a complex area at the moment and it is the only time I've came across when being a dual Irish/British citizen is actually a MAJOR disadvantage.

Best best would be to contact the Law Centre NI (in Belfast and Derry~Londonderry). They have a website which states the relevant details and have a helpline. You call them and they ask a lawyer to call you back with details.

www.lawcentreni.org:
124 Donegall Street
Belfast BT1 2GY
Telephone: 028 9024 4401

Hope this helps.
C

EUsmileWEallsmile

Re: How can I know Im Irish or British? Im from N. Ireland.

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:14 am

ZCNCIE wrote:Hello, first at all, thanks for readig this post. I just have one question about nationality and citizen.

My husband he is from N. Ireland, he sees himself as a Irih, and all his family number are local Irish, but he holds Irish and British passports.
So is he Irish only, or British only, or dual Irish, British citizenship?
Or he is Irish nationality, British nationality, or dual Irish, British nationalities?

I mixed this up, hope someone smart can explain this to me.
Thank you very very much!

Z.
I think the answer to your question is contained in your post (dual).

The real question is why is it an issue for you?