ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Visit West Bengal

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ric1982
Member of Standing

Post by ric1982 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:59 am

really no one!!?

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:29 pm

Why do you think an IO will allow a "foreign national" to enter India on a 6 months visitor visa without evidence that the traveler has intentions of exiting before the 6 months are up?

Why can't your wife buy a open ticket?
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:54 pm

As per information published at BOI website - Requirements during arrival of Foreigners in India return ticket is not something checked by an Immigration officer. Possesion of a return ticket doesn't guarantee return and moreover it can be purchased prior departure.
If the traveller is a foreigner of indian origin, wish to apply for OCI in india and has no intention to leave within 6 months, why do you think a return ticket would be required?

On a separate note 2 one way tickets normally cost more than a return ticket (generally one date change for return journey is allowed free of charge) - so return ticket is normally preferred option if the proposed return date is within a year or so.

ric1982
Member of Standing

Post by ric1982 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:15 pm

sushdmehta wrote: Why can't your wife buy a open ticket?
Thats what I thought as well except now a days you dont see many (in fact I havent seen any) open tickets. If you know how to find it then post it here or pm me please

Thanks,

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:44 pm

Visit any travel agent.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:56 pm

ban.s wrote:If the traveller is a foreigner of indian origin, wish to apply for OCI in india and has no intention to leave within 6 months, why do you think a return ticket would be required?
Well, the OP's wife can try explaining all that to the IO, be prepared to be in a limbo for at least a few hours before things get sorted (if they get sorted).

Things work a bit differently in India if I remember, unless things have changed drastically in the recent years!

It's convenience vs. cost (an open return may be expensive than a one way, I don't know).

Ahh .... the webpage you have linked doesn't seem to allow OCI holders into India, only PIOs and visa holders. Should OCI holders stop going to India, based on the information published on that webpage? :wink: