ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Indian child living in India-Now eligible for British

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

lovekirankumar
Newly Registered

Indian child living in India-Now eligible for British

Post by lovekirankumar » Sat May 11, 2013 7:36 pm

Hi,

My case is totally different. I was Tier 1 during my baby born.

Baby born in UK last march, travelled to India on Indian Passport, last july where baby still living with their grand parents till date. Now me and my wife got ILR and I applied for baby naturalization certificate for baby, which also i got from Home office.

Now i am in confused state, whether to apply for british passport for baby in UK or should i go to India and apply british passport for my daughter.
Can I take british passport in UK and travelled to India and bring my child in UK passport. if I do this, whether Indian immigration will stop me for my child passport, as If i show british passport they will ask for Indian visa which will be not there. As the baby travelled in Indian passport.

Can I able to surrender my daughter Indian passport in India and get her PIO card in India before I bring her to UK.

Could moderator please give me some suggesstion on this?

Thanks
Kiran

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Mon May 13, 2013 9:21 pm

the steps that you (on child's behalf) need to follow are:

1. apply for BP from India
2. on receipt of the passport renounce indian citizenship
3. apply for PIO card
4. on receipt of PIO card, apply for exit permit

you need to contact local FRRO/FRO of your place of residence and enquire the specific process on step 2.
AFAIK, unfortunately there is no published guidance available. Also the overall process will take some long time, so be prepared for that.

Also see this thread - exit visa from india for

PS: few members have been told by FRRO that a child can retain both indian and british passports until age of 18 - i haven't seen any official policy on this and none have reported actual experience so far.

jazb
Newly Registered

Post by jazb » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:49 pm

ban.s wrote:the steps that you (on child's behalf) need to follow are:

1. apply for BP from India
2. on receipt of the passport renounce indian citizenship
3. apply for PIO card
4. on receipt of PIO card, apply for exit permit

you need to contact local FRRO/FRO of your place of residence and enquire the specific process on step 2.
AFAIK, unfortunately there is no published guidance available. Also the overall process will take some long time, so be prepared for that.

Also see this thread - exit visa from india for

PS: few members have been told by FRRO that a child can retain both indian and british passports until age of 18 - i haven't seen any official policy on this and none have reported actual experience so far.
Why PIO card? Isn't OCI better in every way?

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:14 am

Perhaps yes, but unfortunately the catch here is that a child can apply for OCI only when one parent is a foreign national / eligible to apply for OCI.
At the time of creating the topic, both OP and his wife were Indian citizens.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:10 am

jazb wrote:Why PIO card? Isn't OCI better in every way?
for a minor i don't think makes much difference

also see http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=143367