ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship application and possibility of address change

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

imran22
Member of Standing

Citizenship application and possibility of address change

Post by imran22 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:54 am

Hello members,

I need some advice from everyone on applying for citizenship and possibility of address change while I made an application.

The situation is that I will be eligible to apply from mid-October, I also need to apply before the end of October otherwise the new law will come into force and my wife need to give this new English language test.

On the other hand I live in rented accommodation and living in the current house for last 3 years. My landlord has placed the house on the market for sale since earlier this year. Now as I am living in current property since last 3 years my rent is still about the same at that time while the rents now have risen considerably and if I move now I would be paying at least £400-£500 more each month.

What I wanted to find out what is everybody’s experience in getting the address changed with home office while they have the application, and use address redirection with post office as a fall back if home office doesn’t change the address.

Please let me know what you guys think I am really confused these days and can’t make a decision whether to leave the property before applying or save some money and stay in the current place with reliability on home office and post office that they will change the address and the redirection will work.

Also some other information I was told that once the price is agreed between the buyer and the seller it takes roughly 2-3 months after that to complete the process. Nobody has agreed to buy yet.

Many thanks for your help.

VR

This is something which you need not worry about

Post by VR » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:09 am

When your application is in process you can inform the Homeoffice about the change of address online. Here is the link.

https://contact-ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/ ... y-details/

cheers
vr

imran22
Member of Standing

Post by imran22 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:37 am

The question is what is other member’s experience on amending the address with home office and do they normally do it within promised 72 hours? Also if the fall back option of redirection with post office works?

VR

You should not worry about other users experiences

Post by VR » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:43 am

Imran,

Postal experiences can vary from place to place, the service level of the Royal mail depot, the person on the given day and so on.

Likewise members experience on giving change of address too. One may contact the right option at the home office, another might contact a wrong enquiry line.

I can tell you for a fact that a couple of my acquaintances have used this link and got the job done. I heard from them in the same week but I believe we did not monitor whether 72 hours to the last second was met.

Hope this clarifies your question.

There is a clearcut avenue for addressing your needs . I suggest
> you make your BC application
>Before you move use the link to notify them of your new address
>Use the Royal mail link to redirect all mail post your move to be sent to your new address (this is just a safety net as you will need to give change of address specifically in any case).

cheers
vr

imran22
Member of Standing

Post by imran22 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:52 am

Hello members

Thanks VR for your post.

A question just sprung to my mind. If someone changes the address it takes a month or couple to get the databases updated. I think I have noticed this when I ordered my Experian report in the past and the data was out by about 2 months. Do you think changing address just before the application might not be a good idea because when home office will run checks for the person and the current address they will not get anything? Does anyone know anything about the case worker guideline on this?

Moderators and experienced members what do you think? I would be grateful if you can comment on my initial question as well about amending address with home office and redirection as well.

Thanks

VR

Not Changing Address

Post by VR » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:06 am

Imran22,

There are a few risks which you need to keep in mind if you dont change your address which could come back to bite your Naturalisation application.

1. Traffic Tickets/ fines / notices could go to the wrong address and you wont be aware of anything and this could go to court.

2. Say if some money you owed some authority remains unpaid because the letters did not reach your hands in time. It could possibly come back to hurt you.

So long as you satisfy all the requirements for naturalisation, you need not worry about Credit checks, them not finding your information and so on. It is highly unlikely that they will not be able to track you down. Do not alter your life because of the naturalisation application. Life as usual is the best approach.
Best Wishes
RV

imran22
Member of Standing

Re: Not Changing Address

Post by imran22 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:12 pm

VR wrote:Imran22,

There are a few risks which you need to keep in mind if you dont change your address which could come back to bite your Naturalisation application.
Thanks again for the post RV.

I think I wasn’t clear enough in my previous post. I meant if it is good idea to move home just before putting in the application.

I think because of the unclear post you probably interpreted my post to be that I actually move home but not update the address with the authorities and banks which is not what I intend to do.

So just to reiterate I meant if it is good idea to move home just before applying for naturalisation.

Comments from other members are welcome as well if they wish to post their experience or advice.
Thanks