ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Passport expiring, EEA2 permit valid

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

osiris

Passport expiring, EEA2 permit valid

Post by osiris » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:19 am

My passport is expiring in July 07 and my EEA2 residence stamp is currently valid until 2012.

I will need to renew my passport soon, but will the EEA2 residence stamp be still valid?

The IND website states
Transfer Of Conditions

Transfer of conditions is not a concept in European law. If you have obtained a new passport and wish to have confirmation of your status endorsed in your new passport you will have to make a fresh application submitting evidence confirming that you still qualify for the confirmation that you seek.
ie. can one still use their new together with old passport with EEA2 stamp in, or does one have to apply for a new application?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Docterror
United Kingdom

Post by Docterror » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:06 am

I will take a crack at the question, but I think that you will be better off asking the BIA for the clarification as well.

Firstly, according to the BIA there is no need for you to have a new endorsement in the new passport, because from what they have written,
If you have obtained a new passport and wish to have confirmation of your status endorsed in your new passport you will have to make a fresh application submitting evidence confirming that you still qualify for the confirmation that you seek
it is clearly left to your wish whether you want a new Residence Card if you get a new passport or not.

Secondly, in most other EU member states you would have been issued a real card like the ID card, which would not have the expiry limited by the expiry of your passport which would make it practical for the BIA not to base the validity of the Residence Card on your passport as well. The Residence Card is endorsed in the passports only because we do not have ID cards here.
Jabi

osiris

Post by osiris » Mon May 21, 2007 2:08 pm

thanks docterror for the response!

I called the BIA today, and the kind lady at the end of the line mentioned that I should submit my new and old passport together to get the visa endorsed into the new passport, and I was NOT to submit a fresh application in.......

This kinda contradicts what it states on the website, doesn't it??

:?

Docterror
United Kingdom

Post by Docterror » Mon May 21, 2007 2:36 pm

I don't know what to say! Did they tell you how long they will take to "transfer" the Residence Card onto the new passport?.. the same 6 months, or hopefully a shorter period?
Jabi

osiris

Post by osiris » Mon May 21, 2007 3:01 pm

I did ask, but the lady was so "diplomatic"......she said she couldn't possibly say how long it would take to transfer the visa!

I can only hope for the best!

Docterror
United Kingdom

Post by Docterror » Mon May 21, 2007 3:24 pm

In which case I wouldn't really trust the reply that was given to you as it looks to me like it was a generalised reply, much like the one you got from GMC regarding your registration.
Jabi

osiris

Post by osiris » Mon May 21, 2007 6:03 pm

Cheers

I'll keep that thought in mind! :P

Carlitos
Newly Registered

Post by Carlitos » Tue May 22, 2007 8:09 pm

I had asked the same question regarding what to do about expired passports containing Residence Cards stamps to IND Public Enquiries at INDpublicenquiries@ind.homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk

This was the exact reply of the Border & Immigration Agency:

If you have retained your old passport, you need not transfer the stamp from one passport to another. You may travel with both the old and the new passports.

osiris

Post by osiris » Tue May 22, 2007 9:06 pm

This was the exact reply of the Border & Immigration Agency:

If you have retained your old passport, you need not transfer the stamp from one passport to another. You may travel with both the old and the new passports.
Thanks Carlitos....I have heard this from another source, but wanted to confirm it! :D