ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Claiming benefits

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

aerial
Newly Registered

Post by aerial » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:27 am

Thanks for advising me to claim tax benefits on joint names and we are waiting for claim pack.
I need few info on this for future.

My husband is working 46 hours /week in 2 jobs, and that annual income for April 2012 to April 2013 is £18,500 and they said it is little bit more than the average so he will get very less money, so they said roughly he will get £103.25 per week including both credits.

He plans to leave 1 job and maintain only 1 job and want to do only 24hrs instead of 46 hrs, and obviously the per annum pay will come down to £8540 from £18500.

So approximately the estimated claiming amount will double from £103.25 to £200.00 per week ?

As I am subject to immigration control now, and once I get my ILR will this tax credits money double up or is it based on the annual income?

Now while applying ILR for me, will there be any question, that working income is lesser than the benefit income for adequate maintenance ?

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:06 am

You are entitled to tax thus why the claim must be in joint claims, it'll be the same when you're settled subject to your circumstances. It doesn't matter if benefit income is more providing you're entitled to it without breaching your conditions, which you are.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

aerial
Newly Registered

Post by aerial » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:52 am

D4109125 wrote:You are entitled to tax thus why the claim must be in joint claims, it'll be the same when you're settled subject to your circumstances. It doesn't matter if benefit income is more providing you're entitled to it without breaching your conditions, which you are.
So, you mean to say that I can claim what I am entitled to.
without breaching your conditions, which you are.
Could you kindly explain this? Does it mean that , in that case I will be breaching the conditions?

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:18 am

aerial wrote:
D4109125 wrote:You are entitled to tax thus why the claim must be in joint claims, it'll be the same when you're settled subject to your circumstances. It doesn't matter if benefit income is more providing you're entitled to it without breaching your conditions, which you are.
So, you mean to say that I can claim what I am entitled to.
without breaching your conditions, which you are.
Could you kindly explain this? Does it mean that , in that case I will be breaching the conditions?
I have been very clear, you can claim tax credits as a joint claim it will not breach your conditions.
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

aerial
Newly Registered

Post by aerial » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:47 am

Thanks Guru.

aerial
Newly Registered

Post by aerial » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:14 pm

Guru amber,

My husband is filling the tax claim form right now, on Part 6 payment details It says,

'Child tax credit is paid to the main carer. the main carer is the person who mainly responsible for looking after the children'.

1)Here in my case I am the main carer (Subject to Immigration control)and i am not working.But my husband working , so can I mark X on husband box as main carer. will that make sense.

2) On first page it is asking my NI number, I got one and can i include that NI number, will it cause any difference to my pending FLR(m) or subsequent Set(m)

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:34 pm

aerial wrote:Guru amber,

My husband is filling the tax claim form right now, on Part 6 payment details It says,

'Child tax credit is paid to the main carer. the main carer is the person who mainly responsible for looking after the children'.

1)Here in my case I am the main carer (Subject to Immigration control)and i am not working.But my husband working , so can I mark X on husband box as main carer. will that make sense.

2) On first page it is asking my NI number, I got one and can i include that NI number, will it cause any difference to my pending FLR(m) or subsequent Set(m)
It can be paid to you. That's fine to tick you. Remember where one member of a couple is subject to immigration control and the other member isn’t subject to immigration control, the couple will be treated as if neither of them were subject to immigration control.

Supply your NI number.

aerial
Newly Registered

Post by aerial » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:41 pm

Thanks for the Info. And posted the HRMC tax claim for today the 28th of Aug.

aerial
Newly Registered

Post by aerial » Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:04 am

Good news amber,

Got visa and brp by post today.

My FLR(m) approved on 22nd august the very next day after sending my extra documents on SPl.Delivery with covering letter explaining adequate maintenance and estimated tax credits and explaining that i will forward a copy of award notice once i get it.

I think once the case worker read the covering letter and seeing my extra documents she has approved my FLRm without waiting for tax credits award notice.

Thanks to you again, without you it wouldn't have possible. appreciate your wise advise.

Now booked 25th sep for my SET(M) at PEO.

Thanks again.

aerial
Newly Registered

Post by aerial » Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:04 am

Iam still waiting for award notice.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:25 am

It will take 2-8 weeks.

aerial
Newly Registered

Post by aerial » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:06 pm

D4109125 wrote:It will take 2-8 weeks.
thank you, all done in 2 weeks.(just waiting for award notice, they say it is posted)

Now a quick question, as i am subject to immigration control and it is a joint claim, once i get ILR say in 2 weeks,

1)should my husband need to call HMRC to inform about it ?

2) do we get any extra credits , or the same ?

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:20 pm

No need to inform the HMRC unless you want to start claiming child benefit in your name. The amounts will not increase if you're no longer subject to immigration control.

z18runway

Post by z18runway » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:46 pm

sorry wrong post
Last edited by z18runway on Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aerial
Newly Registered

Post by aerial » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:48 pm

thanks you are very helpful

aerial
Newly Registered

Post by aerial » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:52 pm

Hi Amber,

Thanks got the award notice but with little confusion.

Here my husband earning more than £16000 per annum so he is not paid WTC.

Now the confusion is CTC. According to you and with your advice I ticked the box saying child tax credit will be paid to the main carer and in my case i am the main carer and not working and subject to Immi control.

On the award notice, CTC is paid onto my name saying '' Ms.********, you claimed tax credit jointly with the person named above
and child tax credits to Ms.******** with showing amount £****

Is this ok, shall i enter the amount on SET (m) form under my name ?

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:31 am

Yes that's fine, if asked (they shouldn't) just say it's a joint application as prescribed by law, thus no longer considered a public fund.

aerial
Newly Registered

Post by aerial » Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:34 pm

Thanks