ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Getting funded by NHS for medical treatment - is it allowed?

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

chary
Newly Registered

Getting funded by NHS for medical treatment - is it allowed?

Post by chary » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:36 am

Hi Senior Members,

I am in Tier 1 and will be eligible for ILR in 6 months time.
Meanwhile, our GP has recommended for a medical treatment for which they apply for funding from the government.

My question is, I am aware that we are not eligible for public funding and benefits. But does NHS treatment come under this ? Note that our GP has suggested a treatment for which they have to apply for funding for our treatment.

Thanks in advance,
Chary

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:02 pm

The Department for Health has its own rules on whether people who are not ordinarily resident in the UK can receive free NHS treatment. NHS treatment does not count as public funds for the purposes of the Immigration Rules whether it is paid or unpaid.

See also, Eligibility for free hospital treatment under the NHS (click)
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

chary
Newly Registered

Post by chary » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:17 pm

Thanks Amber for the quick reply.

I understood that NHS funds does not come under 'public funds' under immigration rules. (Only in case of 'a leave granted for private medical treatment in the UK', similar medical treatment, for which the leave was originially granted, should not be obtained from NHS)

The other link available in the forum talks extensively about the 'public funds'
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... iew=Binary

Thanks again,
Chary