ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

PPS problem and GNIB card.

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Dintras
Newly Registered

PPS problem and GNIB card.

Post by Dintras » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:19 pm

Hi
Yesterday we went to Galway city to ask for PPS number for myself ( non eea ) and for our children ,every things goes well apart form me.AS the officer told me I need to hold GNIB card but I said I don't need to hold GNIB card to apply PPs number and that was state on PPS application also as non eea need proof of address not residency status.And I had contact the local garda and he said I don't need GNIB card to apply for PPS number and I don't need GNIB card right now till the application be finalize event I got a confirmation letter from INIS to issue a GNIB card. WE ran like a rat race this week to sort out this Irish system ,one told me NO without GNIB ,one YES without GNIB .so What should i do? I lived in France and UK and this kind of things is straight forward when my husband did his treaty under EU law.but it seem messy here in Ireland.my husband can't claim emergency tax back cause i don't have PPs number and I can't complete my residence permit without tax certificate of my husband. Can someone point me at this stage what should I do? Anyway I applied under EU law not Irish law.Thank you in advance. ( ps. I even got a wrong stamp on my passport at port of Rosslare ,the officer stamp me a normal tourist visa not eea family and local garda as where i living don't have a clue what eea family permit under EU law is and officer in PPS number they don't even know that NON eea don't need GNIB card to apply for PPS number as It doesn't state on application ,they don't know really or they just want to make our life so messy ?)

loverboy2
Newly Registered

Post by loverboy2 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:34 pm

Hi, u need gnib card to show that you are allowed to work and then they will issue u pps number. Thats my knowledge, best of luck

jerzy
Newly Registered

Post by jerzy » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:54 am

My wife (non-EEA) didn't need a GNIB card. We both applied for PPSN 4 days after we came to Ireland (2 years ago). She had D type visa to join the spouse and a stamp saying something like "no employment" (even though it was against the rules*).

* Both EEA citizens and their family member may take up employment within the first 3 months without any additional requirements - Irish authorities confirmed that after my complaint to SOLVIT. Also, maybe the following High Court of Ireland Decsi & Ors -v- MJELR applies in your case:
30. It will be noted that once the family member “has the right of residence ” he or she has also the entitlement to take up employment. As the right of residence is not dependent upon the issue of the residence card as evidence of its having been exercised, it must follow that the Directive is placing the entitlement to take up employment on the same basis. In other words, the entitlement to take up employment operates in parallel to or as an adjunct of the right of residence . Secondly, it is to be noted that the Article operates “irrespective of nationality”. Thus a non-national of the Member States is placed upon the same footing as nationals of a Member State so far as the entitlement to take up employment is concerned. Thus the Chinese wife of a Hungarian citizen is to be treated in this regard in the same manner as, for example, the American wife of a British citizen or the Spanish wife of a German citizen residing in the State. It follows, accordingly, in the judgment of the Court, that the entitlement to take up employment on the part of a family member of a Union citizen is not dependent upon or postponed to the issue of the residence card .

Dintras
Newly Registered

Post by Dintras » Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:07 pm

Hi
Yes,that's what i thought!! None of paragraph on PPS application had said I need GNIB card to apply for it! But we were told maybe 30 times that I need it but we still confirm that I don't need it , so finally yesterday my husband was told from the officer that he will pass my application to the hard case and see how it goes.

meleryan

Post by meleryan » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:09 pm

Out of curiosity I called
Client Identity Services
Shannon Lodge, Carrick-on-Shannon, Co. Leitrim

Telephone 071 967 2616
LoCall 1890 927 999
and they confirmed to me that GNIB card is not required and also told me that if I will come across any obstacles while trying to apply for PPS for my husband just direct a clerk to give them a call.