ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

HSMP, Jobs and Employment Agency

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

darikusa

HSMP, Jobs and Employment Agency

Post by darikusa » Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:48 pm

Hi,

I'm applying for jobs on various online websites. Mostly these agencies are replying. What is the deal with these agencies? Like in US, do they keep a cut out of the pay I will be getting. None have talked to me about any cut. Or they are acting more on behalf of their employers and they get some remuneration for filling a vacancy in another company. If on HSMP, something additional applies.

Any advice, tips and things to watch out for would be appreciated?

Thanks

f2k
Diamond Member

Post by f2k » Fri Sep 24, 2004 1:40 pm

they get some comission alright but it is the emloyer who sorts them out not yourself, but of course if they want you to sign anytingh just check the fine print

hk_007

Post by hk_007 » Fri Sep 24, 2004 2:52 pm

If it is a permanent position then the employer will pay a comission to the agent which will be percentage of your anual salary. You don't have to worry about it. If its a temporary position on per hour basis, they will charge the employer £X and will pay you £X- £Y. £Y represents their cut and they will try to keep as much as possible and ofcourse you will not be told the value of £X. If it is the latter case then know your worth before agreeing to anything !!

Mauhuur
Newly Registered

Re: HSMP, Jobs and Employment Agency

Post by Mauhuur » Fri Sep 24, 2004 6:53 pm

darikusa wrote:Hi,

I'm applying for jobs on various online websites. Mostly these agencies are replying.
You're lucky one. I am not receiving any responce even from agencies, after submitting several hundreds of applications... :(

M.b. someone knows any agency which will work on my CV? Any services providing
guaranteed interview? I will pay as much as they'll want...

darikusa

Post by darikusa » Sat Sep 25, 2004 4:11 pm

I am in the IT profession. I have used cwjobs mostly which is for IT. Depending on your profession, you might want to see which website is catering to your profession.

ameba
Newly Registered

Post by ameba » Sun Sep 26, 2004 1:48 am

The things now are not what they used to be...
One and a half years ago it was a way easier to get to an interview directly - with no agencies involved. Now I have the feeling 99% of all IT job offers are posted by agencies.
Yes, this is true - you do not have to pay anything to these guys, but just keep in mind - the agency is going to charge your prospective employer between 15%-25% of your anual salary! Imagine - if there is at least one decent candidate who has come from the street (not through agency) will lower your your chances for the position.
I had a string of unsuccessful interviews because of that. There was always someone brought either by another employee from the same company or coming directly.
At the end of my last interview I noticed that the employer was interested in me, but still was not so confident in his choice. Then I carefully moved the point to this comission payment. I suggested to him we could share it between me and himself. I did not care at that moment I would have to pay almost a full month salary , because I had been unemployed for 5 months. I desperately needed any job.
Anyway I got that job now, but I had my annual salary reduced by 3k - exactly the ammount my boss paid the agency for me. So that is the whole story :-)

Mauhuur
Newly Registered

Post by Mauhuur » Sun Sep 26, 2004 11:11 pm

darikusa wrote:I am in the IT profession. I have used cwjobs mostly which is for IT. Depending on your profession, you might want to see which website is catering to your profession.
I am an IT professional too. I sent hundreds of applications for jobs found at cwjobs, reed, and several others. No replies. That is why I think that there is no chance to find a job from the other country. No one mail for half a year of every day applications...

But, may be, I am not considered as IT professional at all. That is why I am seeking for
a company which will review my CV and rewrite it in more attractive way.

ameba
Newly Registered

Post by ameba » Wed Sep 29, 2004 9:03 am

During the year prior to my arrivel to UK, I sent about 500 CVs fo me to different companies in UK. I did not get even one reply! Than I removed the lines reading my address and I received some. I guess when employers look at your foreign phone number they don't bother at all even if you seem to be the best candidate for them.

shintu
Newly Registered

Reg Job

Post by shintu » Wed Sep 29, 2004 10:45 am

Hi,
I have also had the similar experience.
If address in the resume is 'foreign', you shall not get the call.
If you remove the address, you may get some initial enquiry.
Again, if you then share your contact information, 99% of time, you do not get the reply.
But atleast, you get some initial point to start with upon your arrival in uk.

f2k
Diamond Member

Post by f2k » Wed Sep 29, 2004 1:54 pm

thats true, employers and agencies are mainly interested in placing pple straight, so at times if your availability is only 3 - 4 months down the line they wont bother with you. i know when you are in the UK you can expect to get a call from an agency within minutes of placing you CV to them. of course a lot depends on how many vacancies they will have on their books at that time

Mauhuur
Newly Registered

Now I wonder...

Post by Mauhuur » Thu Sep 30, 2004 2:52 am

How people gets Work Permits? If all of UK employers are not interested in foreigners...

P.S. Thanks a lot, I will try to remove my address, leaving only e-mail for a contact...

technician

Post by technician » Thu Sep 30, 2004 7:43 am

Well my experience with the placement agencies in UK has been very good. Upon my physically present in London they immediately called for my CV and arranged many interviews. Unfortunately the work permit came in between as I was on a visitors visa. Otherwise things would have materialsied long ago.

Let me see what the HSMP has got to say for me Approval or Rejection.

Can any one tell me whether current employer reference letter on their letter headed pad mentioning the dates of employment and duties performed, very important?? Actually I have sent this information scattered on several evidences in the form of letters and other papers. Will it have effect on the HSMP Decision??

AMEN
Team work- Nurturing Talents