ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying for ILR for child born in UK - Urgent

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

tvnaveen78
Newly Registered

Applying for ILR for child born in UK - Urgent

Post by tvnaveen78 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:22 am

Hi
I wanted an advice for applying an ILR or Citizenship for my Son. Below is the scenario

My son was born in UK in March 2012. He Travelled to India in 9th June 2012 and returned back in 10th December 2012. So He had an Entry clearance applied in India after 9th July 2012.
So my query is whether I can apply for his citizenship after I receive an ILR for me and my partner or Do I need to include him in the same Application form and apply for ILR or Do I need to wait 5 years for applying settlment for him.

regards
Naveen

akhurshid
United Kingdom

Re: Applying for ILR for child born in UK - Urgent

Post by akhurshid » Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:18 pm

tvnaveen78 wrote:Hi
I wanted an advice for applying an ILR or Citizenship for my Son. Below is the scenario

My son was born in UK in March 2012. He Travelled to India in 9th June 2012 and returned back in 10th December 2012. So He had an Entry clearance applied in India after 9th July 2012.
So my query is whether I can apply for his citizenship after I receive an ILR for me and my partner or Do I need to include him in the same Application form and apply for ILR or Do I need to wait 5 years for applying settlment for him.

regards
Naveen
I believe you can register child born in UK as soon you get ILR using form MN under section 1(3) regardless of child's status

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:03 pm

Life isn't fair, but you can be!

rahuls

Post by rahuls » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:00 am

sushdmehta wrote:Q29-Q32
Hi Sushdmehta,

I am trying to understand the circumstances where I should include my UK born child in ILR application. My son has been granted a leave. As the answer to Q32 tells that including my son will give him the same appeal rights. But why is it required to include my son in the appeal if my ILR is refused. How can it affect my son't right to stay. I can only think of scenario where his leave gets expired while a decision is being made and he needs to travel. But I guess I can apply for a fresh leave for my son even after the expiry of his current leave.

Could you please give your opinion on this matter?

Thanks

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:53 am

rahuls wrote:As the answer to Q32 tells that including my son will give him the same appeal rights. But why is it required to include my son in the appeal if my ILR is refused.
Read the answers to Q32 again - carefully.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

rahuls

Post by rahuls » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:30 pm

sushdmehta wrote:Read the answers to Q32 again - carefully.
I tried but could not think of a scenario, if you could explain it would be really helpful.

I can understand the second point of the answer but that is not applicable in my case. Apart from that I am not able to think of a scenario where my son's stay would be impacted in case my ILR gets refused and my son is not included in the application.

Thanks

shahid2000
Member of Standing

Post by shahid2000 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:46 am

rahuls wrote:
sushdmehta wrote:Read the answers to Q32 again - carefully.
I tried but could not think of a scenario, if you could explain it would be really helpful.

I can understand the second point of the answer but that is not applicable in my case. Apart from that I am not able to think of a scenario where my son's stay would be impacted in case my ILR gets refused and my son is not included in the application.

Thanks
Hope this explaination might help. Your son was born in UK so originally he was not subject to immigration control BUT when you applied a dependent visa for him he (technically) came under immigration control. At the end of your son's current leave he must (technically) apply for another leave otherwise he becomes an overstayer. This is just a technical glitch in the process.
Now if you get ILR then its all ok becaue in this case your son will be "entitled" to citizenship meaning it will not be at the discretion of UKBA so it wont matter even if he becomes an overstayer. But in case your ILR is refused and you make an appeal you will not be able to include your son in that appeal making him an overstayer.
I hope this is clear enough for you.

rahuls

Post by rahuls » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:43 am

shahid2000 wrote:Hope this explaination might help. Your son was born in UK so originally he was not subject to immigration control BUT when you applied a dependent visa for him he (technically) came under immigration control. At the end of your son's current leave he must (technically) apply for another leave otherwise he becomes an overstayer. This is just a technical glitch in the process.
Now if you get ILR then its all ok becaue in this case your son will be "entitled" to citizenship meaning it will not be at the discretion of UKBA so it wont matter even if he becomes an overstayer. But in case your ILR is refused and you make an appeal you will not be able to include your son in that appeal making him an overstayer.
I hope this is clear enough for you.
Thanks alot Shahid for the detailed explanation. I could have never make this out from the answer to Q32. I was under the impression that since UKBA allows citizenship to UK born child just on the basis of parents settlement status without mentioning any condition on child's immigration status there is no need for the child to have a valid visa unless out of country travel is required.

Here is excerpt from UKBA website :
Section 1(3) applications - children born in the United Kingdom to parents who are now settled in the United Kingdom
If the child's parent has become settled in the United Kingdom or becomes a British citizen, the child will have an entitlement to register as a British citizen. This registration would be under section 1(3) of the British Nationality Act 1981.

By the way is there a reference for this kind of situation on Immigration Rules.

Anyway luckily I would have more than one year of visa validity left when I am going to apply for ILR. So I guess I can safely skip my son from the settlement application, isn't it?

Thanks

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:57 am

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

tvnaveen78
Newly Registered

Post by tvnaveen78 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:19 am

Thanks for the information

amber19
Newly Registered

Re: Applying for ILR for child born in UK - Urgent

Post by amber19 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:24 pm

Hi Naveen, Were you able to successfully apply for ILR and later register your child for british registration? Any suggestions.