ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Surinder Singh- UK to Ireland and Back

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Natgeb
Newly Registered

Surinder Singh- UK to Ireland and Back

Post by Natgeb » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:47 pm

I have read hundreds and I'm sure there are thousands of posts on this site about this. However, has anyone on here actually done this? Uk to Ireland and back?

The reason I ask? My wife and I are entertaining the idea of doing this.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:58 pm

Is there anything special / unique about Ireland, that the hundreds of posts confirming "Surinder Singh" route may not be relevant when it is Ireland (as compared to any other EU member state)?
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:05 pm

It could be down to language or linguistic reasons.

OP need to bear in mind that moving could be quite an expensive process.

You will be required to uproot your life and move to another country.

Set up a home, find job or set up a business, especially given the job climate in Ireland, and then returning to the UK.

If you are prepared to undertake this uprotting exercise, and have links to Ireland, then youcan certainly do this.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

Natgeb
Newly Registered

Post by Natgeb » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:42 pm

sushdmehta wrote:Is there anything special / unique about Ireland, that the hundreds of posts confirming "Surinder Singh" route may not be relevant when it is Ireland (as compared to any other EU member state)?
Ireland is close and yes language is an issue, as well as everything Obie mentioned. The reason I ask about Ireland is so I can have a specific understanding of what I need to do when we reach Dublin and of course before we depart.

The posts I have read do not confirm it. Others seem to be in the process or having difficulties exercising their rights.
I would like to post and share my journey(experiences) with others on this site. In order to do so I need a starting point. Maybe you could point me in the right direction or you could continue in a condescending manner.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:14 pm

@ Natgeb,

I'm not sure if you've a specific question about this. Your best bet is to study regulation 9. If you comply with this, you will succeed.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... iew=Binary

Natgeb
Newly Registered

Post by Natgeb » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:54 pm

Eusmile-
Thank you, is this a copy of the directive?

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:33 pm

No, it's the UKs transposition of the directive. Reg 9 describes Singh cases.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:44 pm

Natgeb wrote:I'm looking for only serious advice on this one please.
I applied for a UK visa, it was refused. I filed an appeal. However my wife and I don't want to wait much longer as we see it will be effective to take the SS route. The problem: I never received my passport back. My solicitor said its standard procedure for them to keep it until I depart the UK. Is this correct? I'm thinking my solicitor is incompetent at this point as well. Presuming it has a nice refusal stamp in it, why can't I get it back? I'm going to need it to enter Ireland.

Natgeb
Newly Registered

Post by Natgeb » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:06 pm

Wow, great responses on here! The question still is if the UKBA is going to hold my passport till I leave how do I get it to apply for an Irish visa?

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:38 pm

Natgeb wrote:Wow, great responses on here! The question still is if the UKBA is going to hold my passport till I leave how do I get it to apply for an Irish visa?
Perhaps you hadn't read the response I'd made in your other thread?

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=144561

Natgeb
Newly Registered

Post by Natgeb » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:51 pm

Perhaps your missing my point! I need the passport to apply for an entry clearance visa to Ireland. Therefore if I tell the UKBA I'm leaving from what I understand they will give it to me on my departure from an airport. Now how can I apply for a visa upon departure?

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:33 pm

Natgeb wrote:Perhaps your missing my point! I need the passport to apply for an entry clearance visa to Ireland. Therefore if I tell the UKBA I'm leaving from what I understand they will give it to me on my departure from an airport. Now how can I apply for a visa upon departure?
From what I recall, you are a US citizen. If I've recalled correctly, you are not a visa national. You can simply move to the jurisdiction that is Ireland along with your EU family member.

It is possible to obtain a replacement US passport from consulate in the other jurisdiction. Alternatively, ask that it be returned to you on departure wherever that might be.