ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Advice on How to Interpret SOC Codes - Can Solicitors Help?

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

amerikate
Newly Registered

Advice on How to Interpret SOC Codes - Can Solicitors Help?

Post by amerikate » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:18 pm

Can anyone please advise on what the procedure is for choosing a SOC code with your employer and how to proceed from there?

I have worked as an International Student Advisor with an American education institution for over 2 years. I'm American on a PSW visa (exp Feb 2014) from doing a master's degree. My bosses don't seem to understand much about the SOC codes, and are insisting that my job must match job title and job descriptions of the SOC code listing. They have not gone off advice from a solicitor.

I have determined that my job description qualifies under either 2319 Teaching and other educational professionals not elsewhere classified OR 2449 Welfare professionals n.e.c.

My managers are so worried about doing the application wrong, that they are hesitant to think about sponsoring me because they feel like choosing the wrong SOC code will get the company into trouble.

How should I proceed from here? Will a solicitor be willing to look at my job description and agree/disagree with the potential SOC codes I've chosen? Is this something they can do? Obviously the UKBA always has the right to say no even if a solicitor thinks it's alright, but my managers know so little about the whole system that I'm convinced getting a professional opinion from a solicitor is the only way to go. The UKBA doesn't have any more specific information about the SOC codes to offer, do they?

Bottom line: my company is struggling with the vague information listed under each SOC code and is concerned about doing it wrong.

Any advice on how to proceed from here? Any solicitors in London to recommend for this?

I've been here for over 4 years and am beyond devastated at the thought of needing to leave my whole life here behind...

manci
Respected Guru

Post by manci » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:20 am

An immigration solcitor could certainly advise your employer (who presumably have a T2 sponsor licence) about the choice of SOC code. He/she would need to see your detailed job description. To find one:
http://www.ilpa.org.uk/pages/find-immig ... dvice.html

you could also talk to UKCISA:
http://www.ukcisa.org.uk/International- ... vice-line/

guptapd
Newly Registered

Post by guptapd » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:48 am

Hi, I am currently facing a similar issue around assessment of SOC most appropriate to my job spec. I was advised by my Hr to get consultation from PwC legal. If you havent gotten in touch with any solicitors as yet, then you may want to contact PwC Legal. thanks.