ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Widowed parent to return to live in UK

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

michali
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Widowed parent to return to live in UK

Post by michali » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:38 am

A friend of mine, a Jamaican citizen, would like to settle in the UK where her children have been citizens for many years. She is in good health, has a property in the UK, draws a pension and has considerable savings. She worked here for many years. Does anyone have any knowledge as to how an application for a settlement visa or another appropriate visa might be successful? I know that sponsoring parents has become much more difficult under the new rules, but I would hope her savings might help in positive consideration being given to her application.

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:08 pm

It does not seem possible under the current immigration rules. She would have to be incapable of performing basic domestic tasks, such as washing, without the assistance of another person, and the cost of hiring someone to help her (in the absence of another family member) would have to be unaffordable to either herself or her wider family (you can pay this from the UK). From what you have stated, that is clearly not the case.

michali
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by michali » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:15 pm

That is pretty much what I thought but it is ridiculous! Could they not make a rule that she is not to use the NHS etc? After all she will be bringing money to the UK!

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:45 pm

No.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:07 pm

What was/is the Mother's UK immigration status?

See also, Surinder Singh route (click) and dependent relatives (click)
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

michali
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by michali » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:59 pm

Thanks for the links. Do you mean my friend's mother's status or my friend's status? Her mother had none. My friend has a visitor visa but is not in the UK at the present time. Surinder Singh route would not be a viable option right now. She may have to spend time with relatives in other countries between her visits to the UK if she is not allowed to settle there.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:06 pm

michali wrote:Thanks for the links. Do you mean my friend's mother's status or my friend's status? Her mother had none. My friend has a visitor visa but is not in the UK at the present time. Surinder Singh route would not be a viable option right now. She may have to spend time with relatives in other countries between her visits to the UK if she is not allowed to settle there.
You said she (the Mother?) worked here for many years, did she not settle then?
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

michali
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by michali » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:17 pm

I have no idea when she left the UK but it would have been many years ago. She may have been like my husband who gave up his British passport when his country became independent. He regrets this now as you can imagine!