ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Points for Bachleors Degree

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

rrozenson
Newly Registered

Points for Bachleors Degree

Post by rrozenson » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:02 pm

Hi All:

I have my ILR appointment next Tuesday at Croydon and am getting a little bit stressed out as filling out my application I am now lead to beleive I can not claim points for my Bachelors Degree qualification which means I am not able to remain in the UK. A bit of background on myself:

- Initally entered the UK as Work Permit Holder on Oct 22 2007
- Switched to a Tier 1 visa which was initially granted on April 22 2009 and renewed on April 11 2012
- Under my initial application I was able to be awared 30 points for my qualification as I hold a Bachelors Degree.
-I am now applying for settlement in the UK and would like to apply for these same points again however based on the rules on the application form for settlement it would lead me to believe I am not entitled to claim points for my qualifications (see below which I have copied from the application).

* An applicant will be awarded no points for a Bachelor’s degree if:

(a) his last grant of entry clearance was as a Tier 1 (General) Migrant under the rules in place between 31 March 2009 and 5 April 2010, or

(b) (i) he has had leave to remain as a Tier 1 (General) Migrant under the rules in place between 31 March 2009 and 5 April 2010, and

(ii) his previous entry clearance, leave to enter or leave to remain before that leave was not as a Highly Skilled Migrant, as a Writer, Composer or Artist, as a Self-employed Lawyer, or as a Tier 1 (General) Migrant.

CAN ANYONE HELP OUT AND LET ME KNOW IF I CAN CLAIM POINTS FOR MY BACHELORS DEGREE? I have tried using the Points Calculator and it is not letting me input a Bachelors Degree. I am concerned if I can't claim points for my degree I can't stay in the UK.

Can anyone hlep?

UKBALoveStory
Afghanistan

Re: Points for Bachleors Degree

Post by UKBALoveStory » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:32 pm

You have to go back I am afraid. Just joking :). Don't worry, you will get exactly the same points for your degree as you got on your last extension/entry clearance

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:32 pm

Life isn't fair, but you can be!

rrozenson
Newly Registered

Post by rrozenson » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:37 pm

sushdmehta wrote:Q37
Yeah I read the FAQ but didn't quite understand what this meant - so is the date of my application April 22 2009 as this is when I applied for Tier 1? This means I fall within the rules in place between 31 March 2009 and 5 April 2010 so I can't apply for a bachelors degree. I know it is supposed to be plain english but I'm confused.

Can anyone clarify?

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:43 pm

On what date did you apply for Tier 1 (General) application which led to the approval and grant of leave on 22-Apr-09?

The rules in force on "that date" determine everything for you, in terms of scoring points for various attributes.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

params0073
United Kingdom

Post by params0073 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:48 pm

If you applied on 22 April 2009 how did you got 30 points for bachelor's degree ? :shock:

rrozenson
Newly Registered

Post by rrozenson » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:49 pm

I applied before this date however I am checking the confirmation and the only date I have is April 22 2009 - I am not sure how to demonstrate that I applied before this date although obviously if I had missed the cutoff my application would not be approved... Does anyone else know how to check the application date?

params0073
United Kingdom

Post by params0073 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:11 pm

No need to worry. Home office has all the record. If you remember your initial application date then input that into UKBA calculator and take that printout with you while applying for extension.

Param