ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

SOC assessment for ILR application

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

guptapd
Newly Registered

SOC assessment for ILR application

Post by guptapd » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:07 pm

Dear members, would someone be able to clarify whether decision on SOC code applicable for my job should be made by a qualified solicitor (example pwc legal) OR an assessment by my line manager at work would be sufficient. For background, I am a work permit holder and will make an application for ILR in October of 2013.

To ask the same question differently, is it possible that the UKBA may challenge the SOC on my letter whilst making an application?

Any help re above will be appreciated.

Thank you

dk2011

Post by dk2011 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:07 pm

What SOC code was used when you applied for WP? Your employer who issued you COS would be able to tell you that. If no SOC code was mentioned then you need to choose one which best suits your role.

guptapd
Newly Registered

Post by guptapd » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:24 pm

Thanks DK, my WP was processed in the era pre SOC codes (Oct 2008). So for my employer certificate, SOC chosen by my manager/employer will be sufficient? Do you think selection of the SOC could be challenged by the case worker as I have been told a SOC that fits my job description but not an exact match.
thanks again

dk2011

Post by dk2011 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:19 pm

SOC chosen by your employer is sufficient and should be inline with your designation on the WP.
e.g.
 Analyst-programmer, Database developer , Games programmer  Programmer, Software engineer can choose SOC code 2136 .
CW won't ask anything if your SOC code is inline with yor job title mentioned in WP.
Obvious cases might be challanged .
e.g.
your job title is S/W Engineer on WP and you have choosen SOC code 1184 Social services managers and directors.

Hope this helps you.

dk2011

Post by dk2011 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:24 pm

[quote="guptapd"]Thanks DK, my WP was processed in the era pre SOC codes (Oct 2008). So for my employer certificate, SOC chosen by my manager/employer will be sufficient?--Yes
Do you think selection of the SOC could be challenged by the case worker as I have been told a SOC that fits my job description but not an exact match. -- Exact match isn't required . You need to choose one which is closest to the work that you do. You will be fine.
thanks again[/quote]

guptapd
Newly Registered

Post by guptapd » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:31 am

Thanks once again DK.

Final question hopefully, my job title is Risk Change Manager, and my manager suggested SOC 1150 Financial Manager (as I am a manager in a financial services company) to be put on my letter. In your opinion is this a good match? (there is literally no other code I could see that comes even close to describe what I do).

Thank you