ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Want to Move to England...

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

hell_storm2004
Newly Registered
Mood:
United States of America

Want to Move to England...

Post by hell_storm2004 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:37 pm

Hello,

I was thinking of moving to England. I have spent more than a year in the US now and would like to live and work in England for a while. I was just starting to get some information on moving to England. I was reading that non-EU people are not allowed to get work permits anymore. Is it true? If it is, then it really dents my hope of living there. If it is not, then how do i go about it?

hell_storm2004
Newly Registered
Mood:
United States of America

Post by hell_storm2004 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:51 am

Anyone?

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:01 am

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

anniecc

Post by anniecc » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:52 am

It's become much more difficult than it used to be. Unless you can qualify as an investor or entrepreneur you'll need a job offer, and to be working in a skilled or shortage occupation.

hell_storm2004
Newly Registered
Mood:
United States of America

Post by hell_storm2004 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:13 pm

Sorry i went missing for a while.

Just wanted to know that, do companies in England, provide job offers to people without a valid work permit? If not, then it becomes a little bit of cycle. No permit, no job offer. No job offer, no permit!

inq_1
Newly Registered

Post by inq_1 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:40 am

hell_storm2004 wrote:Sorry i went missing for a while.

Just wanted to know that, do companies in England, provide job offers to people without a valid work permit? If not, then it becomes a little bit of cycle. No permit, no job offer. No job offer, no permit!
Precisely!

anniecc

Post by anniecc » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:42 am

You don't need to have a valid work permit but the company would need to agree to sponsor you to obtain one. For most jobs, companies are only allowed to sponsor a foreign worker if they have advertised and failed to recruit anyone from within the UK or EU. This requirement means that many employers will indicate they are only interested in applications from people with an existing right to work in the UK.

You will get better advice if you post some details of your current situation - nationality, employment field etc.

mulderpf
Diamond Member

Post by mulderpf » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:11 pm

Much of it depends on your occupation and skill level in that occupation. If you are a sought after individual with a scarce skill, then it should be fairly easy to convince a British company to employ you, but if there are other people who can do what you do already in the country with the right to work, then no company will waste their time trying to sponsor you.

It's definitely not impossible though, I just heard of a friend of mine who was head-hunted by a British company, so she will be sponsored.
Do not send me PM's with specific questions - post question in the open forum so others can also benefit from the answers.

inq_1
Newly Registered

Post by inq_1 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:22 pm

She's lucky. It hardly happens. People think it's common.

hell_storm2004
Newly Registered
Mood:
United States of America

Post by hell_storm2004 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:13 pm

Looks like its going to be tough in England. There goes my dream of having a football filled weekend! :(