ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

How soon can I enter the UK as a tourist after YMS expiry?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

shnell
Newly Registered

How soon can I enter the UK as a tourist after YMS expiry?

Post by shnell » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:28 pm

Hi all!
I have a Youth Mobility Scheme visa that expires December 2013. I lived in the UK for a year last year and moved back home a year early to Canada in December of 2012. (So they should have record of me leaving back to Canada almost a year ago)
I want to go back to visit the UK for a few weeks or so Spring 2014 and I was just curious if there is a waiting period between my visa expiring and returning as a tourist? Can I return as a tourist as soon as I'd like, granted I have sufficient proof I'm returning back to Canada after my visit?
I've done some research and have just found mixed messages- some saying you should wait 6 months and some saying to go for it as long as you have enough proof you're not staying for good. Does the fact I left a year early help my case at all?
I just want to be 100% certain before I start planning, being turned away at customs is never a pleasant experience.
Thank you!

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:29 pm

You can go back as soon as you like provided you can convince the UKBA that you are entering for the purpose of a visit and that it's a genuine one under the visit immigration rules. Why do you need to go back for another six months so soon after a long period of residence? Don't tell us, but have that response handy when you arrive. If you merely wish to continue your current residence in the UK but on the status of a visitor, they have the right to refuse your entry.

anniecc

Post by anniecc » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:06 pm

There is no fixed timeframe for re-entry as a visitor after expiry of a YMS. Provided you're genuinely coming as a visitor, and can convince the border officials of that, you should be ok. I read your post as proposing a visit of a few weeks, not six months.

You should not assume that the border official will have a record of you having left a year ago - UKBA data matching is not that good. If you're worried you may want to carry evidence that you have an established life in Canada, for example a letter from your employer confirming that you're in ongoing employment (and the start date, so you can show you've been back in Canada for some time), mortgage or tenancy agreement etc.