ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA FAMILY PERMIT REFUSED

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

create
Newly Registered

EEA FAMILY PERMIT REFUSED

Post by create » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:48 pm

I am so pissed and devastated by my refusal.The wordings of the letter is so sickening and discomforting.The 'miscarriage of decision' by the UKBA is very vexing.

Below is the Refusal Letter.

Your Application

You have applied for admission to the United Kingdom by the virtue of European community law as the family member of a European Economic Area national who is exercising,or wishes to exercise,rights of free movement under the treaty of Rome in the United Kingdom.

The Decision.

You have provided a certificate to show that you married a Polish national(Name)on (date).This application follows 2 months after your marriage.

As Evidence that you are in a genuine relationship your have provided some photographs.The vast majority of the photographs are from your wedding day. The other photographs in the absence of other satisfactory evidence merely demonstrates that you have met.

You have not provided any other satisfactory evidence that you are in a genuine relationships,e.g evidence of how,where and when you met or further evidence of how you have kept in contact during periods apart,before or since your marriage.This list is not prescriptive.Whilst you have submitted some e-mail correspondence with your applications.The name of the sender and recipients of these mails is not clear.

You have not provided any satisfactory evidence that you and your spouse are living together or that you have lived together in the past either before or after your marriage,e.g letters,cards,utility bills or bank/other statements addressed to you showing the same address in Poland or elsewhere.Again,this is not prescriptive.

The definition of 'Spouse' in the immigration(European Economic Area)Regulations 2006 does not include a party to a marriage of convenience.In the absence of satisfactory evidence I am not satisfied you are not a party to a marriage of convenience and are therefore I am not satisfied that you are the family member of an EEA national in accordance with Regulation 7 of the Immigration(European Economic Area)Regulations2006.
I therefore refuse EEA family permit application because I am not satisfied that you meet all of the requirement of Regulations 12 of the immigration(European Economic Area)Regulations 2006.

End of Bad Letter.

Now,let me preface my submissions by stating clearly.
I have ne'er read a dumb and irresponsible refusal letter in my entire life until today.
I took along with me for my interview my wedding album and pre-wedding session photographs,my wife's support letter stating our intention and purpose of travel,which was a 5 day visit to the U.K,as she works here in Poland for an American company.she only could afford those few days.My marriage had in attendance over 60 guests,from My family in Africa,my wife's parents and family and friends from the States,Spain and the U.K ,the wedding album speaks for itself.
In addition I reluctantly gave away few emails,dating back to 2012,I met my wife in 2011 on my second visit to Poland from Portugal.
I also included in my application,her 6 months payslips.
Her bank statements.
As regards our email correspondence---my email name which is not my name,but an adopted English name,which I deliberately used after my email was hacked by my ex-girlfriend.I decided to play safe by using a name,which appears on my signature.Besides that,my wife's email bears her name and even her workplace.I'm taken aback by the claims that my email or hers is not clear.
For heaven's sake,our correspondence wasn't an official correspondence.Where in the world will lovers be corresponding to each other and have to state their full names,while corresponding?....the use of pseudonym,nicks,romantic names I believe in my opinion is what one uses,not a full name in corresponding to supposedly ones love.
My wife explained in her support letter,the year we met,got engaged the purpose of travel.To my surprise,this was also mentioned as a reason for refusal.
Needless to say,that in the emails I submitted it showed clearly...how my wife bought my flight ticket online to and fro Poland during my visit and forwarded the tickets to my mails.Also in one of my mails,was our wedding planning arrangements,the no of guests,list of things to buy,everything u can plan for a successful wedding.
Now I have not read anywhere in the so called European Regulations where time frame is a clause or seen as a reason to deny one in exercising his rights.
My applications follows 2 months after my wedding.So what!.Do I have to wait donkey years to prove my wedding is not of convenience.How dumb and insane can such statement be.I have ne'er come across a situation,where I am been subjected to such mockery.A mockery of my wedding,a wedding that took place in a roman catholic Church,where my wife and I went through a mandatory counselling sessions,rigorous checks by the civil authority and months of wait to get a final approval.I am not only perplexed but mad at how they could pen down such pronouncement...'marriage of convenience.'

Well,it's a drafted letter,a non-complimentary statement which I guess is officially used for this kind of purpose.

I am a resident in Portugal, in fact. ..2 weeks ago I applied for Polish residence,hoping I could still retain my Portuguese residence as well,because I was told by a Portuguese lawyer,that it's possible to retain my residence and also have a Polish residence,this I have found not to be true,cos just few days ago,the Polish immigration service sent me a letter,and setting a date for an interview,which in fact was the same day I was suppose to travel if I had gotten the Family Permit,which is on 6th of September.I went to the Polish Immigration office and I asked about me retaining my Portuguese residence,having explained I would be eligible for nationality next year in Portugal,and I was advised to contact the Portuguese Immigration service.I was told in principle it is not possible,as it is not possible to have 2 resident permit at the same time,that I have to choose one.
The reason why I am explaining this is simple,I do not have any joint bills with my wife,since I don't live here.Though since January,I have been in Poland,and I registered my presence at my wife's parent home,where she also have her permanent address.In Poland,u barely see people who give house contracts,as a lot of landlords will not want to pay extra tax to the govt.So there are no utility bills in our names,the landlord lives in Ireland,so she pays by bank transfer to his account.

Since 2011,I met my wife,I have been to Poland and spent both Christmas and New year,and Easter,together with my wife at her parent's place.

The definition of marriage of convenience does it also include the family members of my wife,my own family from Africa,the Priest who conducted our wedding,the civil Authority,my guests.

According to the E.U definition and prescription of marriage of convenience.

1. A "marriage of convenience" means a marriage concluded between a national of a Member State or a third-country national legally resident in a Member State and a third-country national with the sole aim of circumventing the rules on entry and residence of third-country nationals and obtaining for the third-country national a residence permit or authority to reside in a Member State.

Factors which may provide grounds for believing that a marriage is one of convenience are in particular:

the fact that matrimonial cohabitation is not maintained,
the lack of an appropriate contribution to the responsibilities arising from the marriage,
the spouses have never met before their marriage,
the spouses are inconsistent about their respective personals details (name, address, nationality and job), about the circumstances of their first meeting, or about other important personal information concerning them,
the spouses do not speak a language understood by both,
a sum of money has been handed over in order for the marriage to be contracted (with the exception of money given in the form of a dowry in the case of nationals of countries where the provision of a dowry is a common practice),
the past history of one or both of the spouses contains evidence of previous marriages of convenience or residence anomalies.
3. Where there are factors which support suspicions for believing that a marriage is one of convenience, the Member State will issue a residence permit or an authority to reside to the third-country national on the basis of the marriage only after the authorities competent under national law have checked that the marriage is not one of convenience, and that the other conditions relating to entry and residence have been fulfilled. Such checking may involve a separate interview with each of the two spouses.

4. Should the authorities competent under the laws of the Member State find the marriage to be one of convenience, the residence permit or authority to reside granted on the basis of the third-country national's marriage will as a general rule be withdrawn, revoked or not renewed.

5. The third-country national will have an opportunity to contest or to have reviewed, as provided by national law, either before a court or a competent administrative authority, a decision to refuse, revoke or not renew a residence permit or authority to reside.

6. The objective of the Resolution is not to introduce systematic checks on all marriages with third-country nationals. Checks will be carried out only where there are well-founded suspicions.

7. The Council will review the implementation of the Resolution once a year, starting from 1 January 1999.

4) DEADLINE FOR THE IMPLEMENTATION OF THE LEGISLATION IN THE MEMBER STATES

5) DATE OF ENTRY INTO FORCE (if different from the previous date)

Not required

6) REFERENCES

Official Journal C 382 of 16.12.1997

7) FOLLOW-UP WORK

8) IMPLEMENTING MEASURES

I have not applied for or wish to apply for a residence permit in the U.K,and I don't intend to...knowing fully well I would loose the opportunity of applying for my nationality in Portugal,Where I have lived for 5 years,and only will complete the mandatory term of 6 years next year.
With all the evidence I had supplied the UKBA,I am not only furious at the reasons they gave,but I intend to reapply and also write a protest letter.
Please,tell me the way forward as regard my situation.I was hoping this was a straightforward issue,I guess I was deep wrong.
Thanks for your anticipated advice.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:30 pm

It is disappointing the ECOs continue to declare marriages of convenience without any evidence.

What do you propose to do, appeal?

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:16 pm

When did you apply for the visa?
When did you do the biometric stuff?
Did the embassy call you for an interview? If so exactly what did they say in the invitation and when was the interview?
When did you receive the refusal?

create
Newly Registered

Post by create » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:57 am

I am reapplying,and I will also add more additional evidence,like my skype log,which to me is unnecessary.To get a visa I'll have to show them what and what we discussed on Skype dating back to 2 years.I will also include pictures dating back to 2 years when when we met.Do I really need to expose my private life for someone to decide the authenticity of my wedding,I had expected a more professional approach than an Arm-chair exercise.I will definitely in my Letter protest their approach and labeling of a legitimate Marriage.Nothing can be further from the truth-If one is from a third world country,there is bound to be a 'Marriage profiling',which is just a huge shame on them.I have ne'er heard of time been a a factor in rejecting a visa application after marriage despite the obvious evidences that I presented.Quite a shame!I have no intentions whatsoever in residing in the U.K for now,cos by next year,I would be eligible for my Portuguese Nationality,I wonder why they are so heartless.

create
Newly Registered

Post by create » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:47 am

I had my bio metric done the same day I went to submit my application in person.I went to the British Embassy roughly 2 weeks ago,and it took them a week+ for them to make a decision and to send my passport back to me.I was not interviewed,I only submitted my documents,nothing was asked.

the hurricane

Post by the hurricane » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:52 am

create wrote:I am reapplying,and I will also add more additional evidence,like my skype log,which to me is unnecessary.To get a visa I'll have to show them what and what we discussed on Skype dating back to 2 years.I will also include pictures dating back to 2 years when when we met.Do I really need to expose my private life for someone to decide the authenticity of my wedding,I had expected a more professional approach than an Arm-chair exercise.I will definitely in my Letter protest their approach and labeling of a legitimate Marriage.Nothing can be further from the truth-If one is from a third world country,there is bound to be a 'Marriage profiling',which is just a huge shame on them.I have ne'er heard of time been a a factor in rejecting a visa application after marriage despite the obvious evidences that I presented.Quite a shame!I have no intentions whatsoever in residing in the U.K for now,cos by next year,I would be eligible for my Portuguese Nationality,I wonder why they are so heartless.
I don’t think re-applying will lead to a better result. If I were you I’d have appealed and request the visa Manager for a reconsideration as their arguments are very subjective. The fact that u guys are married is already strong evidence but saying that it is marriage of convenience based on few samples is ridiculous. I am confident if u appeal/request for reexamination there is a good chance to get a visa! Good luck :)
Last edited by the hurricane on Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

askmeplz83
inactive

Post by askmeplz83 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:22 am

create wrote:I had my bio metric done the same day I went to submit my application in person.I went to the British Embassy roughly 2 weeks ago,and it took them a week+ for them to make a decision and to send my passport back to me.I was not interviewed,I only submitted my documents,nothing was asked.

well always difficult. i heard cases where couple met once after dating online for 3/4 months and within 2 weeks they are married and they are now in the UK with EEA family permit. In other cases even 2 yrs relationship is not enough and refused

but you do have very good chance of getting EEA family permit if you ask for reconsideration.

If you do reapply again make sure you include 2 yrs dating history

create
Newly Registered

Post by create » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:35 pm

I will grudgingly have to include my Skype log,which I found very ridiculous after undergoing a thorough scrutiny from both the catholic church and civil authority in Poland.I am a Pentecostal christian,but had to undergo catholic marriage counselling which was mandatory by the church.If,the state could approve my marriage,I wonder on what authority the so called officer has drawn conclusion from.Beats my imagination to say the least.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:44 pm

create wrote:I will grudgingly have to include my Skype log,which I found very ridiculous after undergoing a thorough scrutiny from both the catholic church and civil authority in Poland.I am a Pentecostal christian,but had to undergo catholic marriage counselling which was mandatory by the church.If,the state could approve my marriage,I wonder on what authority the so called officer has drawn conclusion from.Beats my imagination to say the least.
Complain. Write to the visa section manager in the consulate asking for reconsideration.

create
Newly Registered

Post by create » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:50 pm

I would love to appeal,however!I have read several threads about appeals.It takes several months for a response from them.I would have actually preferred an oral appeal.Alas!such appeal is done in the U.K,and I will have to pay for the appeal,the reason why I opted for reapplication,since it's free.I will only include skype log,letters addressed to me showing the same address with my wife,and more pictures dating back to 2011,with a long letter debunking their shortsighted judgment and 'Marriage profiling'.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:02 pm

create wrote:I had my bio metric done the same day I went to submit my application in person.I went to the British Embassy roughly 2 weeks ago,and it took them a week+ for them to make a decision and to send my passport back to me.I was not interviewed,I only submitted my documents,nothing was asked.
create wrote:I took along with me for my interview my wedding album and pre-wedding session photographs
I am not sure if I understand. Were you interviewed or not?

create
Newly Registered

Post by create » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:28 pm

No interview.They barely conduct an interview for family permit.u will be asked to submit your application,and also take your bio metrics,and be told u would be contacted within 15 working days.No interview.That's is why I'm so mad with the Embassy,how in the world did they come to such a frivolous conclusion. Very Pathetic!.

SouthWest1

Post by SouthWest1 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:16 pm

I have not applied for or wish to apply for a residence permit in the U.K,and I don't intend to...knowing fully well I would loose the opportunity of applying for my nationality in Portugal,Where I have lived for 5 years,and only will complete the mandatory term of 6 years next year.

if this is the case, why did not you apply for a normal tourist visa instead of a family permit?

FP is a sort of a residence because you can apply for a NIN and actually start to work even before you apply for an EEA2!

create
Newly Registered

Post by create » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:31 pm

Mate!Family permit is not a form of residence permit,it's an entry permit.Besides the option of applying as a tourist do not arise,since I am travelling with my wife,a European citizen,thereby exercising my right as a family member.U only apply for a tourist visa,if u plan or intend to travel alone,and this is not the case here.

SouthWest1

Post by SouthWest1 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:41 pm

i do not mean to annoy you at all.
my understanding is that a family Permit is issued to a non EU whilst his/Her EU partner is exercising treaty rights in UK. your wife does not reside in UK and that's what i am trying to say.

on the other hand, if your spouse lives here and you can manage to pass the airline checks, you can just land in UK and after forward/backward with immigration, you will be admitted in with A1 code (i think), providing she is with you and you have all relevant documents.

i know you are pissed off with the refusal and their description of the marriage but i am just trying to suggest alternative route for you if you want to come over to UK.

create
Newly Registered

Post by create » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:05 pm

Nah Mate!U got the concept of the family permit wrong.It's not meant for only spouse/partner or unmarried partner of an E.U National residing in the U.K.It applies to those wishing to visit the U.K. Below is an excerpt from the UKBA site.

'Do you need an EEA family permit?
A non-EEA family member of an EEA national will need to obtain an EEA family permit before travelling to the UK if they are:

coming to live with the EEA national in the UK.
The non-EEA family member must be travelling to the UK:

with the EEA national; or
to join the EEA national here

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/eucit ... ly-permit/

SouthWest1

Post by SouthWest1 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:33 pm

you said it your self " coming to live with the EEA national in the UK" which is not the case as you say.

FP is sort of residence permit. i had it my self years ago and worked with it and had my driving licence, bank account...etc.

Also, IO in the embassy would not use the term "Marriage of Convenience" unless the person is applying for a residence to UK
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... nience.pdf

hope one of the gurus can advise on that ?

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:26 am

Why did you submit more than your marriage certificate with the application?

ukforever
Member of Standing

Post by ukforever » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:16 am

SouthWest1 wrote:you said it your self " coming to live with the EEA national in the UK" which is not the case as you say.

FP is sort of residence permit. i had it my self years ago and worked with it and had my driving licence, bank account...etc.

Also, IO in the embassy would not use the term "Marriage of Convenience" unless the person is applying for a residence to UK
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... nience.pdf

hope one of the gurus can advise on that ?
u are wrong mate,the FP is an entry clearance,u can come to visit the uk with it or to settle,provided u accompany the eea or join him later,the purpose of the trip is not relevant,wether u come to settle or to visit,its not relevant under eu laws.
The FP is not a sort of "residence permit",it will allow u to reside for 6 month in the uk and u can apply for RC if u wish,u can work,apply for a NINO,but most of the other things like driver license or bank account could be difficult to achieve with an entry visa,u might get lucky and apply for a bank account,but i'm not sure u could apply for driver license,maybe u were lucky in the past,but right now,its not like how it was 5 years ago,if u have a link stating that u can pass a driver license in the uk without proper residence or with an entry visa,be my guest,but i won't believe it till i see a proof.

also wrong when u say the IO in the embassy would not use the term marriage of convenience unless u apply for the residence card,i don't know if u followed the thread but the OP mentioned he applied for a FP not RC,and he applied outside the uk,u can't apply for FP in country(uk),so u can't call it a residence card application,besides,most of the refusals members of this forum get when they apply for the family permit from the british embassies worldwide...and u can only apply for residence card in the uk,not outside of the uk,unless i got your message wrong,correct me please if i wrongly misunderstood your message or what u meant.

i suggest u read the *EEA FAQs - Common Questions - Read before posting* ,u might understand the concept of the FP process better:

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=114867

please check this link,its the gov.uk website stating the requirement to have your first provisional driver license:

https://www.gov.uk/apply-first-provisio ... ng-licence

check this link too:

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/c ... ing_abroad

it depends also on your nationality,maybe because of your nationality u did exchange or pass your full driver license but it doesn't apply to all,hence why u can't say that with a family permit u can apply for a driver license and get it.

i hope this helps.
UK------++++-------****

create
Newly Registered

Post by create » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:44 am

Exactly!the same idea I was trying to convene to him.I guess he muddled up everything.Anyway I am reapplying,with my skype log,though I will still protest in a much subtle manner,without provoking anger on the officer...but to be honest,it's an abuse of his position,disregarding proofs to me is the height of Irresponsibility on part of the ECO officer.

SouthWest1

Post by SouthWest1 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:15 pm

Thanks Create

In all cases , good luck with the new application and i have to say it is impressive that you know all those links & Laws for some one coming over here for 5 days visit.

Please post any updates and let us know how you getting on.

ukforever
Member of Standing

Post by ukforever » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:28 pm

create wrote:Exactly!the same idea I was trying to convene to him.I guess he muddled up everything.Anyway I am reapplying,with my skype log,though I will still protest in a much subtle manner,without provoking anger on the officer...but to be honest,it's an abuse of his position,disregarding proofs to me is the height of Irresponsibility on part of the ECO officer.
hi,i would suggest to take the plane with your wife to france,get the train to calais,and seek admission at port and ask for the 1A stamp,trust me,if u are not interested to stay in the uk for long then,its not worth the trouble to reapply again and risk having a second refusal,after what u just explained in your post,the ECO might still refuse u regardless of the skype log or any other evidence you are going to add,believe me,we have seen so many cases in this forum with people applying up to 3 times and they get refused,so unless u want to go and settle,which is not the case as i understood,otherwise u would loose your residency in portugal and your eligibility to apply for citizenship next year as u pointed out,so,if i was u,i would just turn up at the borders and seek admission,its not woth it reapplying and wasting your time waiting for a reply and if u get refused again,u might appeal and it could take up to 6 months or more to get it overturned.. we have seen so many cases in this very forum and u can do your own home work,u will see and find out yourself that its pointless,anyway,this is what i would do myself if i was in your shoes.
UK------++++-------****

create
Newly Registered

Post by create » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:38 am

Thanks to everyone for all the inputs.I will furnish the embassy with what they need,and if they reject...then I guess I don't have to visit the U.K until I'm a European citizen,which is no distant time.

create
Newly Registered

Post by create » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:28 am

Please can anyone help me out....Should my wife write a covering letter addressing every issue raised by the ECO,or should I write a letter explaining our marriage in details,addressing every issue raised by the ECO officer.In my previous application she wrote a covering letter.So I hope I can get an answer to this question.
I have been able to research on this site cases of refusal,and I find to be interesting this link.

http://www.bailii.org/uk/cases/UKUT/IAC ... reece.html

Can this judgement be attached to my letter,as a guide for the ECO officer,or just to let him know...we know our rights as a family.Hope that won't overdoing it.I just find the piece to be very interesting.Please I need some insights.
Thanks.
Last edited by create on Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

ukforever
Member of Standing

Post by ukforever » Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:32 pm

hi,can u edit please this link,u need to delete the point at the end of your link,because when u click on it the page you get is not found,but if u delete in the browser the last point . then,it will take u straight to the article.
UK------++++-------****