ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA2 Application Timelines - ONLY 1 TOPIC - UpToDate

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

SouthWest1

Post by SouthWest1 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:03 pm

sammi1111 wrote:Yeh but I'm asking that when u submit fresh application again with correct docs den they issue rc quickly ? Coz I heard here that better u submit fresh application with missing docs rather then appeal ..
Every body here would probably advise you to go both routes ( re-apply and appeal). as far as i can see, a fresh application will take its normal time of 6 months.
also what i meant about a registered solicitor is the possibility to send a reconsideration. if that's applicable, then reconsideration time line is normally much shorter than appeal and reapply.
I suggest have a word with your lawyer ( if you still using his/her services) and see what would be better for your case

soniac

Post by soniac » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:33 pm

Residence card for my partner has finally arrived after a successful reconsideration request:))) There are no words to describe this feeling. I wish you all the best of luck in your applications and I wish this incredible feeling upon you all.

sammi1111

Post by sammi1111 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:56 pm

Ur apsolutely right but reconsideration is only available when home office caseworker made mistake den otherwise they dnt accept n its better to reapply with correct docs r missing docs which I cud'nt put last application like original passport of my eu wife dats y they refused me so with fresh application I submitted noow n here too many people been saying that they got rc quite quickly within 2 months after reapplied with missing docs
dfhdkuhgkvhdjkshvguiewhguiewhvgkdkvhwhvgiu

SouthWest1

Post by SouthWest1 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:04 pm

sammi1111 wrote:Ur apsolutely right but reconsideration is only available when home office caseworker made mistake den otherwise they dnt accept n its better to reapply with correct docs r missing docs which I cud'nt put last application like original passport of my eu wife dats y they refused me so with fresh application I submitted noow n here too many people been saying that they got rc quite quickly within 2 months after reapplied with missing docs
Hope it will go well with the new application and you hear back soon.
let us know how you are getting on
Good luck mate

diangelo

Re: RC RECEIVED

Post by diangelo » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:03 pm

shineangel wrote:
diangelo wrote:App sent:03/10/12
Received:03/10/12
COA received:17/10/12
RC:Refused 15/04/13(with right of appeal)
Reconsideration Request:30/04/13
Appealed(Paper):24/04/13
Appeal allowed: 25/07/13
RC Issued: /07/13 (received 29/08/13)
Did you chase ukba after winning appeal or you just wait for rc to come ?

I wrote my MP one week after i got the determination of the tribunal sighting the gross negligence and abuse of my rights but my case has and is still with the EU court

diangelo

Post by diangelo » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:05 pm

diangelo wrote:
shineangel wrote:

I wrote my MP one week after i got the determination of the tribunal citing the gross negligence and abuse of my rights but my case has and is still with the EU court

shineangel

Post by shineangel » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:48 pm

diangelo wrote:
diangelo wrote:
shineangel wrote:

I wrote my MP one week after i got the determination of the tribunal

How did you contact eu court ? I received determination of my appeal nearly two weeks ago and I don't wanna wait too long before I receive my rc.

Sindhana03
Newly Registered

Post by Sindhana03 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:35 pm

So good news is that we got a response the next day saying a caseworker has been allocated and that they will make a decision and send my docs within 2 to 4 weeks!!! But bad news is we want it within two months to travel. No response to the reply we sent yet...lets see. Thanks for the advice :)
bigsale wrote:
Sindhana03 wrote:Thats great! Thank you so much for sharing. I am sending out the email right now!
bigsale wrote:
Sindhana03 wrote:Congrats on receiving the RC!

I had almost given up waiting to reach them on phone until this morning when i got through. The man who answered was definitely not polite!! Technically it will be 6 months in two weeks but i have planned to travel end of this month and the guy on phone could only say that my aplication was incomplete and there is no guaantee when i will get a decision! This has thrown off all my plans including searching for new jobs!!! As i will have no id :(

Eea sent - 19 mar 2013
Coa received - 5 apr 2013
Rc still pending!

Please could you advice the format of your letter? I want to send a letter n keep ringing them everyday! Thanks for your help. As you can see iam quite desperate :(

this are the email i sent message to:

EuropeanOperational@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk (europeanoperational@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk); UKBAcustomercomplaints@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk (ukbacustomercomplaints@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk); UKBAeuropeanenquiries@ukba.gsi.gov.uk (ukbaeuropeanenquiries@ukba.gsi.gov.uk); Kirsen.Ferguson@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk (kirsen.ferguson@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk); Serena.Bryant@ukba.gsi.gov.uk (serena.bryant@ukba.gsi.gov.uk); Steve.Long5@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk (steve.long5@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk); Sonia.Dower2@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk (sonia.dower2@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk); Rob.Whiteman@HomeOffice.GSI.Gov.UK (rob.whiteman@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk); NWCSU@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk (nwcsu@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk); rob.whiteman@homeoffice.gov.uk (rob.whiteman@homeoffice.gov.uk); EREC@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk (erec@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk); nationalityprogress@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk (nationalityprogress@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk

message format:

subject: Breach of eea law

content:

My name is xxxx i and my husband submitted application for eea residence cards since January to which we received Certificate of application on 30th January,2013 confirming the receipt of the application and decision to be made with 6 months, its over six months now and nothing has been heard from the ukba, i have contacted them on phone like 2 times now, they said decision has not been made and we need to keep waiting. This is having a strain on our marriage as i am the only person working , my husband needs to get his rc so he can work and support the family, and we have a one yr old baby together born in uk. I am seriously needing any help from anybody. plz help me out, i want to keep my marriage.

My Details Below:
Name: Txxxx Fxxxx
Address: xxxx
DOB: xxxx
UKBA ref: xxxx
Case ID: xxxxxx

thats great, i sent mine like this time as well, but make sure you use your partner email and as if she is the one sending it

masterk
Newly Registered

Post by masterk » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:27 pm

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:26 pm Post subject: EEA Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post
I am a non eu citizen studying in london and my wife is an eu citizen,we got married in africa this year and we have all our documents sent to ukba via our solicitor

we got a letter certifying that they got our application and money has been taken from the account and that it wil be passed to a case worker but

1) the letter was not a COA
2)it was addressed in my wifes name EEA1
3)why didnt i get a letter for EEA2 on my name?
4)Now we have change our house because she got a better job far away and would be expensive travelling

Should we write them that we have change our address and provide her payslips and new bank statements?

Pls i need advise and i dont want this whole change of house and job issue to affect my application as my current student visa runs out in 1 month time and application posted just a month ago

pls advise and thanks in advance guys

blegad
Newly Registered

Post by blegad » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:22 am

masterk wrote:PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:26 pm Post subject: EEA Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post
I am a non eu citizen studying in london and my wife is an eu citizen,we got married in africa this year and we have all our documents sent to ukba via our solicitor

we got a letter certifying that they got our application and money has been taken from the account and that it wil be passed to a case worker but

1) the letter was not a COA
2)it was addressed in my wifes name EEA1
3)why didnt i get a letter for EEA2 on my name?
4)Now we have change our house because she got a better job far away and would be expensive travelling

Should we write them that we have change our address and provide her payslips and new bank statements?

Pls i need advise and i dont want this whole change of house and job issue to affect my application as my current student visa runs out in 1 month time and application posted just a month ago

pls advise and thanks in advance guys
You can simply fill in your new address via an online form through this following link. I did the same as well and they had my new address updated. You don't need to send in all those documents however if they need supporting documents they will contact you.

https://contact-ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/ ... y-details/

Choi Saab

Post by Choi Saab » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:31 am

Today I received the following email from nationality progress

Thank you for your email.

I have checked our records and can confirm the decision has been made on this application, the decision letter and any supporting documents should be with you shortly.

If you do not receive the decision within the next two weeks please contact us again.

I am unable to disclose the decision.

I sincerely apologise for the length of time taken but each case is different and although we aim to process 95% of applications within 6 months there are a small percentage of applications that take longer than this to be resolved.

Later on I called the euro enquiry office but the lady who answered told me that the application is still under process and that a decision has not been made yet. She also 'suggested' that I may wish to ask UKBA in writing wether they require any further documentary evidence about my partners employment. She believed there might be some lack of evidence.

My question is that if the eu partner remains out of employment for maternity(7months) and does NOT claim statutory maternity pay, would it be an excuse enough to refuse the application???
EEA2 sent : 5-12-2012
COA w/right to work received : 2-01-2013
Refused w/right of appeal : 01-10-13
Parliamentary ombudsman got involved, asked for a review : Nov'13
RC received Dec'13

bigsale
Newly Registered

Post by bigsale » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:12 am

wow, that's great news , im happy to hear that, i got exact same email stating 2 to 4 weeks but don't worry it doesn't take that long, my rc arrived 5 days after first complaint email to them

Sindhana03 wrote:So good news is that we got a response the next day saying a caseworker has been allocated and that they will make a decision and send my docs within 2 to 4 weeks!!! But bad news is we want it within two months to travel. No response to the reply we sent yet...lets see. Thanks for the advice :)
bigsale wrote:
Sindhana03 wrote:Thats great! Thank you so much for sharing. I am sending out the email right now!
bigsale wrote:

this are the email i sent message to:

EuropeanOperational@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk (europeanoperational@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk); UKBAcustomercomplaints@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk (ukbacustomercomplaints@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk); UKBAeuropeanenquiries@ukba.gsi.gov.uk (ukbaeuropeanenquiries@ukba.gsi.gov.uk); Kirsen.Ferguson@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk (kirsen.ferguson@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk); Serena.Bryant@ukba.gsi.gov.uk (serena.bryant@ukba.gsi.gov.uk); Steve.Long5@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk (steve.long5@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk); Sonia.Dower2@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk (sonia.dower2@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk); Rob.Whiteman@HomeOffice.GSI.Gov.UK (rob.whiteman@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk); NWCSU@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk (nwcsu@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk); rob.whiteman@homeoffice.gov.uk (rob.whiteman@homeoffice.gov.uk); EREC@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk (erec@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk); nationalityprogress@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk (nationalityprogress@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk

message format:

subject: Breach of eea law

content:

My name is xxxx i and my husband submitted application for eea residence cards since January to which we received Certificate of application on 30th January,2013 confirming the receipt of the application and decision to be made with 6 months, its over six months now and nothing has been heard from the ukba, i have contacted them on phone like 2 times now, they said decision has not been made and we need to keep waiting. This is having a strain on our marriage as i am the only person working , my husband needs to get his rc so he can work and support the family, and we have a one yr old baby together born in uk. I am seriously needing any help from anybody. plz help me out, i want to keep my marriage.

My Details Below:
Name: Txxxx Fxxxx
Address: xxxx
DOB: xxxx
UKBA ref: xxxx
Case ID: xxxxxx

thats great, i sent mine like this time as well, but make sure you use your partner email and as if she is the one sending it

bonita

refused

Post by bonita » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:51 am

My sister timeline
application received by home office 01/03/2013
Coa received: 6th March 2013
refused on 4th September 2013 based that my sister's marriage was issued in ghana and there's no evidence that shows she lives in the UK
After 7 months. This is the decision that was made
Seriously. She wrote 2 the case lead two weeks ago and someone got back to her stating a decision will be made in two weeks time and this is what happens. This is really poor and bad
People any advice on what to do about this

paty35
Newly Registered

Re: refused

Post by paty35 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:48 pm

bonita, am so sorry for the refusal. May I please know whom your sister wrote to and the address she used. She can either appeal or re-apply with enough evidence to show how real the marriage is.

bonita

Post by bonita » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:46 pm

Every document was sent bt because they married in ghana
Dey concluded that she doesn't live in the uk when she's been here since she was 13. Ahe sent a message to marje Clarke

bonita

Post by bonita » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:50 pm

How long would the reconsideration or appeal take. Already a breach of eu law haa been breached by the home office delaying and stretching time when people's lives re shattered

Thetruth007hmm
Newly Registered

Work Permit used as an evidence for EEA2 Application

Post by Thetruth007hmm » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:57 pm

Hello Fighters!

I am just New here and would love to share my story so that could get help.

I am married 3 years now with A Romanian National who initially had work permit visa. He only worked for the company few weeks and had work problem and got sacked. After 3 years He applied for job for the same Company.With a surprise, they agreed to hire her again(am sure she is potential). As her work permit with states that, she should work for this company only and it doesnt state the expiring date of it.

1. Should i use this work permit as a proof that she is exercising treaty right and apply for EEA2? Please Note that Romanian and Bulgarian are treated differently with other EU Nationals till ! january when limitation ends.

2. Was she supposed to apply for another work permit(for me i dont think it is necessary as she working for the same company that applied for work permit before to work for this company. And like i said it does not state expiring date. Help Please i need answers before i send my Application.

3. Her new Contract of employment with the same employer, is different as she has new contract now with different date with her work permit issued 3 years ago. Would this raise questions?

GURU and Directive/2004 and others. Help me on this Please as I have till November to send my EEA2 resident application. Note That I am None EEA

shineangel

Re: refused

Post by shineangel » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:29 pm

bonita wrote:My sister timeline
application received by home office 01/03/2013
Coa received: 6th March 2013
refused on 4th September 2013 based that my sister's marriage was issued in ghana and there's no evidence that shows she lives in the UK
After 7 months. This is the decision that was made
Seriously. She wrote 2 the case lead two weeks ago and someone got back to her stating a decision will be made in two weeks time and this is what happens. This is really poor and bad
People any advice on what to do about this
Did your sister attended the wedding ceremony in Ghana or contracted by proxy? Did she submitted proof she lives in same address with husband? reconsideration and appeal can be done at the same time if she have proof of genuine relationship. Reconsideration is very much faster if you have proof to show home office about error of law.

Choi Saab

Post by Choi Saab » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:49 pm

UKBA is messing about big time. The email yesterday confirmed that a decision has been made on my application but I've called them yesterday and today and they say the decision has NOT been made and the magic phrase "you'll have to continue to wait until you hear from the home office". WTF

Question : Out of these 9 months, my EU partner was on maternity leave for 7 months. Unfortunately we did not apply for SMP or Maternity Allowance which apparently makes her 'unemployed' and therefore unqualified. Is it possible for them to refuse even though we notified them about the pregnancy, birth and maternity leave?
EEA2 sent : 5-12-2012
COA w/right to work received : 2-01-2013
Refused w/right of appeal : 01-10-13
Parliamentary ombudsman got involved, asked for a review : Nov'13
RC received Dec'13

Davmck70

HELP NEEDED PLEASE

Post by Davmck70 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:14 am

Hello everyone,
I love to share my pain and I hope someone will help me here. It is a bit lengthy but I plead you read through as this is a case for thought for everyone.

I am married to a Portuguese national who exercises right via self employment as a caterer in UK. Got married in Oct 11, applied for RC in Nov, 11 which was sent back advising that I needed to re-apply due to insufficient documentation. Reapplied in Jan, 12 and received a COA few weeks after. Application refused sometimes in July,12 for which a letter was sent to solicitor to advise him of decision not to issue RC and right of appeal. Refusal letter was not picked up by solicitor and thus returned to HO. I called HO and was advised of decision and also ROA to which another letter was sent to me in Dec, 12.
I got angry with solicitor and thus moved my case to another solicitor to handle with dignity and professionalism. Reasons for refusal included the following:

You applied for a residence card on 12 January 2012 as the spouse of an EEA national who was exercising their treaty rights in the United Kingdom. You have submitted a Nigerian Marriage Certificate under Section 24 of the Nigerian Marriage Act. All marriages celebrated under this civil marriage act required both parties to be present at the ceremony . .The marriage certificate pertains to a marriage under the Nigerian Marriage Act which precludes marriages by proxy under this Act. Paragraph 11 (1)(a)of the Nigerian Marriage Act states 'before the registrar can issue the certificate he must be satisfied that one.of the parties has been resident within the district in which the marriage is intended to be celebrated at least fifteen days preceding the granting of the certificate' Paragraph 26 of the Nigerian Marriage Act continues by stating that 'The certificate shall then be signed in duplicate by the officiating minister, by the parties, and by two or more witnesses to the marriage' You have signed this marriage certificate and it has also been signed by witnesses... However you have not provided any passports valid from this date for either you or your sponsor with evidence of entry or exit stamps to show that you travelled to Nigeria
It has also been noted that on the marriage certificate provided there is a website address. After investigating the website, it has been highlighted that you can obtain various certificates, such as "'marriage certificates and birth certificates. The website address is (delete were applicable) www.imcnigeria.mysite.com or www.eri-imc.org or www.intergovtmaritcte.org or www.intergovtmaritalete.org or www.intergovernmentalmarriagereg.org which is not affiliated to the Nigeria Authorities.
Further to this it is noted that the certificate contains details of a website shown as www.intergovtmaritallcte.org in the bottom right hand comer in which it is stated that details of registered marriages can be obtained. Domain names such as this are stored within databases such that information on the registered owners of said domain names can be queried and discovered. This is carried out using a search known as a WHOIS search. This can be carried out using a number of internet tools such as the website network-tools.com. On typing the above website into Internet Explorer, in the normal way, does not display anything in terms of what would be classed as a normal website, indeed in this case this is a blank page. Performing the aforementioned "WHOIS" search reveals that this domain name does not appear in records as a registered domain. As such this domain name and indeed website does not exist and therefore cannot be associated with a register of marriages as claimed on the provided certificate.
• Consent of the Parties (i.e. of the spouses, parents, and extended families) • Capacity (e.g. relating to age, subsistence of any other marriage, degrees of relationship and status) • Dowry • Formal Giving Away (of the bride)
The addresses for official Nigerian government are www.nigeria.gov.ng and for the National Population Commission www.population.gov.ng. It would therefore be expected that marriage certificates issued under the Nigerian Marriage Act would bear a website address of an applicable Nigerian governmental body.
The Nigerian COl report 06 April 2011 states that marriage by proxy is not legally valid under Nigerian civil law. Paragraphs 24.19 and 24.21 refer. This means that in order for a marriage under the Nigerian marriage act to be considered legal, both parties to the marriage must have been present at the ceremony at the time the marriage was undertaken. For this reason the UK Border Agency cannot accept the marriage certificate as being lawfully issued and evidence of your relationship and your application fails to meet Regulation 7 of the Immigration (EEA) Regulations 2006. Additionally; according to official UK Border Agency guidance (which is freely available ,to the public), for a customary marriage to be valid in Nigeria the following conditions must be fulfilled:-
You have not provided any evidence that consent was given for the marriage from the parents and extended family of me spouse, you have not provided any evidence of how long the relationship had been subsisting prior to the marriage, you have not provided any evidence that a dowry was provided for the bride as required, and you have not specified how the bride was formally given away. For this reason the UK Border Agency did not accept the marriage certificate as being lawfully issued and evidence of your relationship and your application failed to meet Regulation 7 of the Immigration (EEA) Regulations 2006. You have stated that your EEA sponsor is exercising treaty rights as self employed The accountant letter dated 11 January 2011 (should be the 11 January 12) from accountant states that your EEA sponsor has been trading since Oct, 11. You have submitted a HMRC registration letter dated 30 November 2011 and financial statements dated 31 December 2011. Finally you have submitted bank statements. In order to decide your EEA sponsor is exercising treaty rights as self employed, we require evidence of tax and national insurance to be paid You have submitted no evidence from HMRC confirming that your EEA spouse has paid tax or national insurance. You have submitted bank statements however they do not confirm receipt of services rendered if your EEA sponsor- company is trading. Furthermore, HMRC recommends that National Insurance contributions to be paid via direct debit there is nothing to indicate in the bank statements she is paying NI contributions through her bank account. You state your EEA sponsor is trading as a catering company, HMRC recommends to set up business bank accounts to separate personal banking from business banking. Your EEA sponsor bank account is for a basic cash card account from Barclays. Your EEA spouse accountant letter states her company is trading as ** Catering Services' we can find no trace through internet searches on how your EEA sponsor is advertising for business. You have not submitted evidence that your EEA spouse has paid a tax return for April 2012, according to HMRC, the deadline is the 31 January 2012. Depending on your business and how you trade, you are required by law to'take out certain types of insurance.
The types of insurance you may need are:-
employer's liability insurance. If you employ other people you must have this insurance. It provides cover for claims made by employees who are injured or become ill as a result of their employment
vehicles insurance. Vehicles used for business purposes must be insured even if already insured for private use
public liability insurance. This provides cover against claims by members of the public who have been injured or had property damaged as a result of carelessness at.work by you or your employees
premises insurance. Insurance will be necessary for the premises you work from, even if you work from home and there is already a policy. This is because the insurance will usually only cover residential use
health and accident insurance. These will pay a regular income or lump sum if you are unable to work because of an accident or sickness. You have not submitted sufficient evidence to consider your EEA sponsor as aperson who is self employed. Therefore, it has been decided to refuse to issue the confirmation that you seek with reference to Regulation 6 and 7 of the Immigration (European Economic Area) Regulations 2006. In making the decision to refuse your application consideration has been given to the following: • EEA 2 Application. • Nigerian Passport. • Portuguese Passport. • Nigerian Marriage Certificate. • Evidence of Self Employment. • Representative Letter (they omitted accountants letter and other prove submitted like bills, photographs etc). As you appear to have no alternative basis of stay in the United Kingdom you should now make arrangements to leave. If you fail to do so voluntarily your departure may be enforced. In that event we would first contact you again and you would have a separate opportunity to make representations against the proposed removal. Help and advice on returning home can be obtained etc

So I appealed the decision Jan, 13 via my new solicitor with some more evidence to show we went to Nigeria (attached spouse passport that had a Nigerian visa endorsed in it, tickets for flights to Nigeria, stamps in spouse passport showing arrival in Nigeria and also in UK, some more pictures from Nigeria, bills, spouses voter’s card, prove of NI contributions etc ).
The First Tier Tribunal promulgated in June, 13 that the HO should approve RC based on all evidences produced as case worker failed to see that spouse passport had Nigerian visa endorsed in it, did not check provided tickets, did not confirm with HMRC.
HO appealed the decision stating that the First Tier tribunal judge had made a material error of law and did not see the physical spouse EEA passport before concluding the case.
I sent another appeal to the Higher Tribunal in July 13 and while awaiting a hearing date, HO wrote to inform me of an oral interview sometimes in Oct 13.

Please can you all help me out with ideas, comments, questions I should expect and any other things i can look forward to. Thanking you all in advance

shineangel

Re: HELP NEEDED PLEASE

Post by shineangel » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:02 am

Davmck70 wrote:Hello everyone,
I love to share my pain and I hope someone will help me here. It is a bit lengthy but I plead you read through as this is a case for thought for everyone.

I am married to a Portuguese national who exercises right via self employment as a caterer in UK. Got married in Oct 11, applied for RC in Nov, 11 which was sent back advising that I needed to re-apply due to insufficient documentation. Reapplied in Jan, 12 and received a COA few weeks after. Application refused sometimes in July,12 for which a letter was sent to solicitor to advise him of decision not to issue RC and right of appeal. Refusal letter was not picked up by solicitor and thus returned to HO. I called HO and was advised of decision and also ROA to which another letter was sent to me in Dec, 12.
I got angry with solicitor and thus moved my case to another solicitor to handle with dignity and professionalism. Reasons for refusal included the following:

You applied for a residence card on 12 January 2012 as the spouse of an EEA national who was exercising their treaty rights in the United Kingdom. You have submitted a Nigerian Marriage Certificate under Section 24 of the Nigerian Marriage Act. All marriages celebrated under this civil marriage act required both parties to be present at the ceremony . .The marriage certificate pertains to a marriage under the Nigerian Marriage Act which precludes marriages by proxy under this Act. Paragraph 11 (1)(a)of the Nigerian Marriage Act states 'before the registrar can issue the certificate he must be satisfied that one.of the parties has been resident within the district in which the marriage is intended to be celebrated at least fifteen days preceding the granting of the certificate' Paragraph 26 of the Nigerian Marriage Act continues by stating that 'The certificate shall then be signed in duplicate by the officiating minister, by the parties, and by two or more witnesses to the marriage' You have signed this marriage certificate and it has also been signed by witnesses... However you have not provided any passports valid from this date for either you or your sponsor with evidence of entry or exit stamps to show that you travelled to Nigeria
It has also been noted that on the marriage certificate provided there is a website address. After investigating the website, it has been highlighted that you can obtain various certificates, such as "'marriage certificates and birth certificates. The website address is (delete were applicable) www.imcnigeria.mysite.com or www.eri-imc.org or www.intergovtmaritcte.org or www.intergovtmaritalete.org or www.intergovernmentalmarriagereg.org which is not affiliated to the Nigeria Authorities.
Further to this it is noted that the certificate contains details of a website shown as www.intergovtmaritallcte.org in the bottom right hand comer in which it is stated that details of registered marriages can be obtained. Domain names such as this are stored within databases such that information on the registered owners of said domain names can be queried and discovered. This is carried out using a search known as a WHOIS search. This can be carried out using a number of internet tools such as the website network-tools.com. On typing the above website into Internet Explorer, in the normal way, does not display anything in terms of what would be classed as a normal website, indeed in this case this is a blank page. Performing the aforementioned "WHOIS" search reveals that this domain name does not appear in records as a registered domain. As such this domain name and indeed website does not exist and therefore cannot be associated with a register of marriages as claimed on the provided certificate.
• Consent of the Parties (i.e. of the spouses, parents, and extended families) • Capacity (e.g. relating to age, subsistence of any other marriage, degrees of relationship and status) • Dowry • Formal Giving Away (of the bride)
The addresses for official Nigerian government are www.nigeria.gov.ng and for the National Population Commission www.population.gov.ng. It would therefore be expected that marriage certificates issued under the Nigerian Marriage Act would bear a website address of an applicable Nigerian governmental body.
The Nigerian COl report 06 April 2011 states that marriage by proxy is not legally valid under Nigerian civil law. Paragraphs 24.19 and 24.21 refer. This means that in order for a marriage under the Nigerian marriage act to be considered legal, both parties to the marriage must have been present at the ceremony at the time the marriage was undertaken. For this reason the UK Border Agency cannot accept the marriage certificate as being lawfully issued and evidence of your relationship and your application fails to meet Regulation 7 of the Immigration (EEA) Regulations 2006. Additionally; according to official UK Border Agency guidance (which is freely available ,to the public), for a customary marriage to be valid in Nigeria the following conditions must be fulfilled:-
You have not provided any evidence that consent was given for the marriage from the parents and extended family of me spouse, you have not provided any evidence of how long the relationship had been subsisting prior to the marriage, you have not provided any evidence that a dowry was provided for the bride as required, and you have not specified how the bride was formally given away. For this reason the UK Border Agency did not accept the marriage certificate as being lawfully issued and evidence of your relationship and your application failed to meet Regulation 7 of the Immigration (EEA) Regulations 2006. You have stated that your EEA sponsor is exercising treaty rights as self employed The accountant letter dated 11 January 2011 (should be the 11 January 12) from accountant states that your EEA sponsor has been trading since Oct, 11. You have submitted a HMRC registration letter dated 30 November 2011 and financial statements dated 31 December 2011. Finally you have submitted bank statements. In order to decide your EEA sponsor is exercising treaty rights as self employed, we require evidence of tax and national insurance to be paid You have submitted no evidence from HMRC confirming that your EEA spouse has paid tax or national insurance. You have submitted bank statements however they do not confirm receipt of services rendered if your EEA sponsor- company is trading. Furthermore, HMRC recommends that National Insurance contributions to be paid via direct debit there is nothing to indicate in the bank statements she is paying NI contributions through her bank account. You state your EEA sponsor is trading as a catering company, HMRC recommends to set up business bank accounts to separate personal banking from business banking. Your EEA sponsor bank account is for a basic cash card account from Barclays. Your EEA spouse accountant letter states her company is trading as ** Catering Services' we can find no trace through internet searches on how your EEA sponsor is advertising for business. You have not submitted evidence that your EEA spouse has paid a tax return for April 2012, according to HMRC, the deadline is the 31 January 2012. Depending on your business and how you trade, you are required by law to'take out certain types of insurance.
The types of insurance you may need are:-
employer's liability insurance. If you employ other people you must have this insurance. It provides cover for claims made by employees who are injured or become ill as a result of their employment
vehicles insurance. Vehicles used for business purposes must be insured even if already insured for private use
public liability insurance. This provides cover against claims by members of the public who have been injured or had property damaged as a result of carelessness at.work by you or your employees
premises insurance. Insurance will be necessary for the premises you work from, even if you work from home and there is already a policy. This is because the insurance will usually only cover residential use
health and accident insurance. These will pay a regular income or lump sum if you are unable to work because of an accident or sickness. You have not submitted sufficient evidence to consider your EEA sponsor as aperson who is self employed. Therefore, it has been decided to refuse to issue the confirmation that you seek with reference to Regulation 6 and 7 of the Immigration (European Economic Area) Regulations 2006. In making the decision to refuse your application consideration has been given to the following: • EEA 2 Application. • Nigerian Passport. • Portuguese Passport. • Nigerian Marriage Certificate. • Evidence of Self Employment. • Representative Letter (they omitted accountants letter and other prove submitted like bills, photographs etc). As you appear to have no alternative basis of stay in the United Kingdom you should now make arrangements to leave. If you fail to do so voluntarily your departure may be enforced. In that event we would first contact you again and you would have a separate opportunity to make representations against the proposed removal. Help and advice on returning home can be obtained etc

So I appealed the decision Jan, 13 via my new solicitor with some more evidence to show we went to Nigeria (attached spouse passport that had a Nigerian visa endorsed in it, tickets for flights to Nigeria, stamps in spouse passport showing arrival in Nigeria and also in UK, some more pictures from Nigeria, bills, spouses voter’s card, prove of NI contributions etc ).
The First Tier Tribunal promulgated in June, 13 that the HO should approve RC based on all evidences produced as case worker failed to see that spouse passport had Nigerian visa endorsed in it, did not check provided tickets, did not confirm with HMRC.
HO appealed the decision stating that the First Tier tribunal judge had made a material error of law and did not see the physical spouse EEA passport before concluding the case.
I sent another appeal to the Higher Tribunal in July 13 and while awaiting a hearing date, HO wrote to inform me of an oral interview sometimes in Oct 13.

Please can you all help me out with ideas, comments, questions I should expect and any other things i can look forward to. Thanking you all in advance
You already won your appeal against ukba decision about your marriage certificate, however ukba challenged decision of first tier tribunal. To the best of my knowledge you need not to appeal again, you just have to wait for upper tribunal to check if there's material error of law in first tier tribunal decision. Anyway you will expect a tough questions as to how you met your spouse, where, how long ago, colour of your your bedsheets etc be fully prepared for cross examination. Good luck

Thetruth007hmm
Newly Registered

Re: HELP NEEDED PLEASE

Post by Thetruth007hmm » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:36 am

I would advise you to go the Oral Interview as they would want to prove if your marriage is Genuine and that you have cohabited Well with your Partner.

Gather all information, Plus events and holidays you went together. Do not forget things your partner likes etc Then when you pass all these you would be granted RC

GoodLucky

Thetruth007hmm
Newly Registered

Post by Thetruth007hmm » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:47 am

If its EEA application for RC, why did they take money from your account? for what? I thought it is still free of charge application?

Write a letter to them stating ''Request for COA'' while you are still processing my application. As far as they have all your documents and they have confirmed that as you pointed out...Then you are in good position of getting your COA with right to work straight away. Address the letter to adress you submitted your application, Use the reference number that it is in your wife's letter.

Regards

SouthWest1

Post by SouthWest1 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:16 pm

Davmck70: what was your immigration status prior to marriage? reason why i am asking is if you breached immigration rules prior to marriage, then you should expect a tough, lengthy interview. also check with your lawyer possibiltiy of not attending such interview and consequences. from what you wrote, HO appealed against court ruling so i think they are trying to find evidences to support their case ( wrong answers to questions in the interview...etc).

Thetruth007hmm: all EU applications cost £55 from July 2013

Davmck70

Post by Davmck70 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:42 pm

Thanking everyone for their reply and contributions.

@Shineangel: Yeah I won the appeal at First tier tribunal and HO has challenged that knowing that they will lose they thus have requested for an oral interview which I may say the Upper tribunal is not even aware of. I have not had any hearing dates yet for this hearing. I can prepare for the oral interview. As we speak I will be evicted from my house by the Housing Association by the end of the month due to no money as I have not worked for over a year now.

@Thetruth007hmm: All I can do is prepare as adviced

@SouthWest1: I was on Post Study work visa. I have never breached any immigration rules before. I will speak to my solicitor as advised to seek a judicial review as I understand what they are up to. Do you think it is a nice idea to speak to my local MP as this situation has almost cost me my marriage as spouse moved back to Portugal few months ago due to me not working and able to sustain family but is happy to attend the hearing with me.
Mind you, am also losing my house by month end.
Last edited by Davmck70 on Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.