ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Schengen visa query

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Irishman30
Newly Registered

Schengen visa query

Post by Irishman30 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:35 pm

Hi,

My wife, non-EU on stamp 4 has gotten a multi-visit Schengen visa to allow her to travel in Schengen countries over the next 3 months. We have one trip planned to go to Italy in the next month which we are looking forward too.

Further to this, she has friends in Switzerland and would like to visit them.
I would travel with her but have little holiday leave remaining, so she would like to travel alone to meet them there.

So my question is, is there any restriction for her to travel alone without, me, her EU spouse (Irish)?
She got the Schengen visa for free, on the basis that she is married to an EU citizen. I do recall that some embassies mention the non-EU person needs to travel with their EU spouse but other embassies do not mention this.

If anyone has experience or knowledge in this area, please let me know.

Thanks.

courny

Post by courny » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:16 pm

good question.
i would like to know this aswell.
also, do they grant vsa's with longer validity, like 1,2 or 5 years?

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:24 pm

On application for a visa, she would need to pay and demonstrate that she has sufficient funds, insurance, accommodation, etc.

Given that she has a visa, she should be able to use it without problems, but will need to satisfy authorities that she meets the requirements I've mentioned above.

Travel together - no issues.

courny

Post by courny » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:14 pm

also if anyone know.
if the non eu wife of an irish citizen is applying for a french/other EU visa to travel with him is there alot of documentation to be given like hotel reservation, fights, insurance etc etc???

ive just been looking at the french embassy and they are asking for alot of stuff.

http://www.ambafrance-ie.org/Requirements,1248

jeupsy

Post by jeupsy » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:29 pm

They are not legally allowed to require a lot of the documents listed on their website. But if you don't have all the documents on their checklist, good luck to argue with the French administration! (Coming from a Frenchman :-))

courny

Post by courny » Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:22 pm

Wrote to the European Commission about this. Lets see what they have to say about it.

Dubin 8
Newly Registered

Schengen visa query

Post by Dubin 8 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:11 pm

Hi Irishman30,

As far as I know the multi-visit Schengen visa is allowed your wife to travel in all schengen countries accompanied with you as EU citizen, if she want to travel only her self she need to apply for separate visa, she will need to provide a lot paper work , such as hotel reservation , or invitation from friend, bank account to prove that she has sufficient funds, insurance, etc.

but she still can risk it and travel, she can still pass through no problem but she can be returned where she come from! some countries are more easy going then others, and this is also depends to the immigration officer in the boarder gate, they can be thick sometimes.

This is happened to me twice, in Valencia airport, I had 6 month multiple Schengen visa as spouse of Irish citizen, the immigration officer asked me where is my wife who she was just behind me , so was no problem and in I Stansted airport 2 months a go , I had entry clearance to uk as spouse of Irish citizen, the immigration officer after checking my visa asked me where is my wife , I reply that she is in Dublin and I am here only for 2 days to visit my brother who is in intensive care in hospital, after talking to her superior in about 5 minute, she back to me and she said this time we let you pass but next time if you are not traveling with your wife you need different visa .

this is only what I can say from my own experience , good luck to your wife.

Irishman30
Newly Registered

Post by Irishman30 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:20 pm

courny wrote: also, do they grant vsa's with longer validity, like 1,2 or 5 years?
I have read that you can get a 1 year with 90 days. A work colleague from India confirmed this with me.
EUsmileWEallsmile wrote: On application for a visa, she would need to pay and demonstrate that she has sufficient funds, insurance, accommodation, etc.
Yes she would have all this with her.

I brought a lot of documentation to the Italian Embassy - hotel reservations, flights booked, copy of marriage cert (as well as original), proof of address, GNIB card, passports (both), letter from my employer, bank statements, etc.
I know the list is probably overkill but I preferred to be prepared rather to be turned away. I collated this list from reviewing requirements from several Schengen embassy websites. Turns out they were not really interested in them but they took them anyway. The Italian official took some basic info and our documents. He didn't want to see the originals. The visa was ready the following week. We waited around 20 minutes. Thursdays are open without appointment but only to those with EU family.

As we are traveling to Italy soon, I think we will see how successful my wife is going to the officials alone, while I hang a few steps back. If she needs assistance, I'll step in to help.

@Dublin8 - Thanks for your input. Interesting account in Valencia. In terms of UK - they are not in the Schengen - wouldn't apply exactly to my situation. But still interesting all the same.

I think I might email the Swiss Embassy - see if they can provide a definite answer.
From looking at the Schengen visa in her passport - nothing indicates to travel with her EU Spouse. But of course a quick scan of her passport would show she is married to a EU citizen - and naturally other questions could follow....

Thanks for the replies so far.

Dubin 8
Newly Registered

Schengen visa query

Post by Dubin 8 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:46 pm

Well i am sorry Mr Irishman 30 to inform you about the bad experience i had but this is the matter of fact , your wife is in same situation as myself, i have been in this route before and i dealt with many consulates, I have 8 schengen visas stick on my passport and 6 uk visas (entry clearance) as well, I traveled to most EU countries in the last 4 years, as far as your wife is traveling with you to schengen states or uk (same law apply) ,its is very easy and simple to get her visa, most consulate they just aske for proof that you are traveling together, application form, some time travel ticket and photo ID and there is no fee, if your wife want to travel by her self its need different visa and she need to provide lot paperwork and she must to pay for the visa fee.

Usually FAMILY EU or ACC EU FAMILY wrote down on the visa which issued to husband or wife of irish citizen when they are traveling together, if the visa issued to that person when he/she traveling alone the only extra comment wrote in the visa is a letter C. which means tourist short stay.

As i said in my previous response ,she can still enter the country with no problem but she can be returned where she come from! every country is diffrent even they still under EU law, some immigration officer in the border gate can be easy going and other can be stick to the book.

Good luck

Irishman30
Newly Registered

Re: Schengen visa query

Post by Irishman30 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:54 pm

Dubin 8 wrote:
Usually FAMILY EU or ACC EU FAMILY wrote down on the visa which issued to husband or wife of irish citizen when they are traveling together, if the visa issued to that person when he/she traveling alone the only extra comment wrote in the visa is a letter C. which means tourist short stay.
Thanks Dublin 8 for the feedback. It is always appreciated.

I had a look at my wife's Schengen visa sticker and it makes no mention of "Family EU" or "ACC EU Family". It does say the visa is of type C.
So it would appear then she should be ok to travel alone based on what you are saying above?

Have you gotten both types of Schengen visas? Ones with FAMILY EU / ACC EU Family and others with just the C comment on it?

Like when you had issues in Valencia airport - did your Schengen visa sticker say type C or "Family EU" or "ACC EU Family".
Same question also to your travel in the UK.
Thanks.

Dubin 8
Newly Registered

Schengen visa query

Post by Dubin 8 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:57 pm

No problem Irishman 30,

Yes I had both Schengen visas types , when I applied to travel with my wife to Spain (Valencia) they issued visa for me with EU FAMILY comment and when I applied to travel just by my self the letter C was mentioned. that was Czech Republic consulate.

Regarding the UK entry clearance I applied all time as my wife is traveling with me.

As your wife got her Schengen visa issued and there is no Family EU" or "ACC EU mentioned on it , I think there is no problem at all.

but please try to confirm this information with the official authority and make sure to print their response and take it with you.

All the best and have nice travel.