ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

degree taught in English certificate

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:04 am

Well the rules seem to be quite clear. NARIC statement of comparability seems to required regardless, the only difference is that this can be either combined with the English Language Assessment or a letter from the institution confirming medium of instruction was English.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

kaneforILR
Newly Registered

Post by kaneforILR » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:48 pm

D4109125 wrote:Well the rules seem to be quite clear. NARIC statement of comparability seems to required regardless, the only difference is that this can be either combined with the English Language Assessment or a letter from the institution confirming medium of instruction was English.
I am on a Tier-1 General and due for ILR in Nov 2013.

Just called up the UKBA homeoffice and they themselves seemed not clear. The lady said, they haven't been given any training on the queries about new rules around English language requirements. However, she said her understanding of the situation would be:

1. English language requirement for main applicant (I have an overseas master degree which I demonstrated for my Tier-1 extension)- Get a letter from the university certifiying medium of instruction and then get UK NARIC to validate that
http://ecctis.co.uk/naric/Individuals/C ... sment.aspx

2. English language requirement for dependent (my wife is a master degree holder from the UK) - She said just a master degree from UK should meet her language requirement.

Again this is her understanding rather than any concrete rules. The rules are still unclear, so we will just have to wait I guess

john353

Post by john353 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:54 pm

A few clarifications needed:

Is this requirement only for dependants or also valid for main applicants applying for ILR? For eg, I am the main applicant (Tier 2) and have already proved the points for English based on PBS calculator based on degree initially. Hope I don't need a NARIC comparability now?

Also if we choose to go for Tier 2 extension instead of ILR, is the english requirement still necessary?

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:14 pm

kaneforILR wrote:
D4109125 wrote:Well the rules seem to be quite clear. NARIC statement of comparability seems to required regardless, the only difference is that this can be either combined with the English Language Assessment or a letter from the institution confirming medium of instruction was English.
I am on a Tier-1 General and due for ILR in Nov 2013.

Just called up the UKBA homeoffice and they themselves seemed not clear. The lady said, they haven't been given any training on the queries about new rules around English language requirements. However, she said her understanding of the situation would be:

1. English language requirement for main applicant (I have an overseas master degree which I demonstrated for my Tier-1 extension)- Get a letter from the university certifiying medium of instruction and then get UK NARIC to validate that
http://ecctis.co.uk/naric/Individuals/C ... sment.aspx

2. English language requirement for dependent (my wife is a master degree holder from the UK) - She said just a master degree from UK should meet her language requirement.

Again this is her understanding rather than any concrete rules. The rules are still unclear, so we will just have to wait I guess
For point 1, you would need the NARIC statement of comparability rather than the English Language Assessment to show the degree is comparable.
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

params0073
United Kingdom

Post by params0073 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:37 pm

This seems rather confusing to me.Excrept from the

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... iew=Binary

Which says applicant seems to meet the requirement if

the applicant-
(i ) has limited leave to enter or remain in the UK, and
(ii) that leave (or a grant of leave which preceded it provided any periods of
leave since have been unbroken) was given on the basis that the applicant
had an English language qualification at a minimum level of B1 on the
Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.

So I think people who got 10 point during the initial application i.e. entry clearance; do not have to prove that again (if the degree appears in PBC and awards 10 points).Because if you get 10 point that means you degree is already comparable to UK’s bachelor/Master degree.

Points-based calculator - help
Qualification database
The information in the database is supplied to us by the National Academic Recognition Information Centre (UK NARIC). You can enter a maximum of ten qualifications and then select the one which scores the highest points.
To score points for your qualifications, your qualification must be the same as a UK Bachelor's degree, Master's degree or PhD.

Again I think we just have to wait for the rules to be clearer.

Param

john353

Post by john353 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:58 pm

So I think people who got 10 point during the initial application i.e. entry clearance; do not have to prove that again (if the degree appears in PBC and awards 10 points).Because if you get 10 point that means you degree is already comparable to UK’s bachelor/Master degree.
I also hope the same..that the requirement is just for dependants and not for main applicants who have already proved the english requirement initially. Amber can you please confirm?

Also for dependants, if NARIC gave statement of comparability and english assessment (if one chooses this route instead of letter from institute) in a single certificate, that would save money and time;) At the moment these are separate certificates. If my understanding is correct, this takes 15 working days.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:11 pm

Yes if you were awarded 10 + points then that should suffice, if entry clearance is given on the basis of a B1 requirement as opposed to A1.

params0073
United Kingdom

Post by params0073 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:16 pm

Now the question is ; was entry clearance given on the basis of B1 or A1 because their is no clear indication in PBC that you degree were comparable to B1 or A1 at the time of entry clearance?

femi_4_u
Newly Registered

Post by femi_4_u » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:17 pm

My apologies if my question looks dumb. All the reference for those who are deemed to qualify for English requirement by reason of academic qualification refer to getting either a NARIC statement of comparability or NARIC statement of language assessment. Including this;
iii)
the applicant has obtained an academic qualification(not a professional
or vocational qualification), which is deemed by UK NARIC to meet
the recognised standard of a Bachelor's or Master's degree or PhD in
the UK, from an educational establishment in one of the following
countries: Antigua and Barbuda; Australia; The Bahamas; Barbados;
Belize; Dominica; Grenada; Guyana; Ireland; Jamaica; New Zealand;
St Kitts and Nevis; St Lucia; St Vincent and The Grenadines; Trinidad
and Tobago; the UK; the USA; and provides the specified documents;
Why will someone who has a Master's degree in UK need to get a UK NARIC statement that the degree is equivalent to a UK standard?

params0073
United Kingdom

Post by params0073 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:23 pm

femi_4_u wrote: Why will someone who has a Master's degree in UK need to get a UK NARIC statement that the degree is equivalent to a UK standard?
No need for NARIC certificate.

Param

fslateef

Post by fslateef » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:36 pm

params0073 wrote:Now the question is ; was entry clearance given on the basis of B1 or A1 because their is no clear indication in PBC that you degree were comparable to B1 or A1 at the time of entry clearance?
My confusion is same. How can I find-out that when I applied for initial entry clearance for Tier-1 (General) using HSMP letter (transitional arrangements) the requirement was B1 or something else ?

I remember requirement was at-least 6 or 6.5 in 08/09 (can't remember 100%) of IELTS which is at-least equivalent of B1 of CEFR, right ?

Kirtay

Post by Kirtay » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:10 pm

params0073 wrote:
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... hip/kol-uk

Degrees taught in English
Those who have obtained a degree taught in English will not be required to show a formal speaking and listening qualification.
Those with an academic qualification (not a professional or vocational qualification) who provide appropriate evidence that the qualification was taught or researched in English are considered automatically to meet the English language component of the KoLL requirement and will not be required to show a formal speaking and listening qualification. The qualification must be deemed by UK NARIC to meet the recognised standard of a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or PhD in the UK. However, they will still be required to pass the Life in the UK test to demonstrate their knowledge of life in the UK.

So Naric compatibility and letter from college/uni should suffice.
Hi All,

I am also finding some answers regarding English Language requirement as I am eligible to apply for ILR (after 5 Years on Tier 2(G)) in mid December.

My question is: my wife who has Bachelor and Masters in Commerce (taught in English). In PBS calculator her course and University allows us to score 10 Points. Does that mean we will only require NARIC confirmation only and not letter from University stating the medium of teaching? Also NARIC only confirms C1 level but we just need B1 level. Does that make any difference in possibilities of failing the NARIC confirmation.

Thanks in advance for your time and guidance.

fslateef

Post by fslateef » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:25 pm

Kirtay wrote: Hi All,

I am also finding some answers regarding English Language requirement as I am eligible to apply for ILR (after 5 Years on Tier 2(G)) in mid December.

My question is: my wife who has Bachelor and Masters in Commerce (taught in English). In PBS calculator her course and University allows us to score 10 Points. Does that mean we will only require NARIC confirmation only and not letter from University stating the medium of teaching? Also NARIC only confirms C1 level but we just need B1 level. Does that make any difference in possibilities of failing the NARIC confirmation.

Thanks in advance for your time and guidance.
UK NARIC will give only C1 level (so if degree is less than that like B1 but still UK NARIC will say that your degree is not C1 level); so this certificate of _not_ C1 level is not valid for UKBA as its not mentioning B1 :(

I already tried to get that for me (B.Engg from Pakistan) and they gave me this _not_ at C1 level letter.

I hope this will help.

params0073
United Kingdom

Post by params0073 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:30 pm

Kirtay wrote:
PBS calculator her course and University allows us to score 10 Points
Just take a printout of the PBC as it awards 10 point so no need for naric letter.

Param

Kirtay

Post by Kirtay » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:33 pm

fslateef wrote: UK NARIC will give only C1 level (so if degree is less than that like B1 but still UK NARIC will say that your degree is not C1 level); so this certificate of _not_ C1 level is not valid for UKBA as its not mentioning B1 :(

I already tried to get that for me (B.Engg from Pakistan) and they gave me this _not_ at C1 level letter.

I hope this will help.
Thanks for the answer fslateef,

I suppose there is no other option but either to try and waste £60 and time or give english test!! Am I missing any other option?

Kirtay

Post by Kirtay » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:39 pm

params0073 wrote: Just take a printout of the PBC as it awards 10 point so no need for naric letter.
Param
Wow!! There is a ray of hope there.

Thanks Param, but would normal print out be valid document to UKBA along with Degree Certificates?

Many thanks.

nks

Post by nks » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:00 pm

Engineering qualifications come into 'Professional' degree even with PBC. Will that not fall through this:

(not a professional or vocational qualification)

kaneforILR
Newly Registered

Post by kaneforILR » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:03 pm

Hi Amber,

I see your recommendation for going for a "Statement of Comparability + a letter from Institute" confirming masters degree, in order to meet the "knowledge of language requirements". However, is this true even for
Main Applicant with a degree outside the UK, but in a scenario where the Outside UK degree is recognized and exists on UKBA points calculator?

Because, in such scenario I think one wouldn't require to have "Statement of Comparability" as its already there on UKBA website.

Is this correct or am I missing something?

Regards,
Kane

sndp
Newly Registered

Post by sndp » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:31 pm

D4109125 wrote:It should be, subject to the degree being comparable to a UK degree.
Hello.. My wife and I are eligible for ILR from Jan 1st 2014. Both of us have bachelor degrees from India and both our degrees appear in the PBS calculator and lets us take 10 points. Do we still need to get a NARIC statement? Or the fact that it appears on PBS calculator is enough?

t_india

Post by t_india » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:55 pm

Hi

I am in similar situation as sndp
please can this be confirmed whether a printout off PBS score
claiming 10 points be sufficient to prove that the degree is deemed
by Uk nairc; or do we need the comparability certificate from Uk nairc
for both main applicant and dependent

t_india

Post by t_india » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:56 pm

Hi

I am in similar situation as sndp
please can this be confirmed whether a printout off PBS score
claiming 10 points be sufficient to prove that the degree is deemed
by Uk nairc; or do we need the comparability certificate from Uk nairc
for both main applicant and dependent

t_india

Post by t_india » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:45 am

hi,

don't we have a clear information on this?
it will really be great help if some one can confirm this.
From reading "fslateef" post, I understand getting certificate from Uk naric is not going to help, as it would state that the degree's from India /pakistan are not at C1; without indication that it meets B1.

In which case, the PBS points calulator print out seems to be the only option, if we were to use Degree taught in english as an option, without taking the test.

Immigration guru's and Sages, please can you confirm this.

t_india

Post by t_india » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:10 am

t_india wrote:hi,

don't we have a clear information on this?
it will really be great help if some one can confirm this.
From reading "fslateef" post, I understand getting certificate from Uk naric is not going to help, as it would state that the degree's from India /pakistan are not at C1; without indication that it meets B1.

In which case, the PBS points calulator print out seems to be the only option, if we were to use Degree taught in english as an option, without taking the test.

Immigration guru's and Sages, please can you confirm this.
Amber; you are my hope :D

bansal.sb
Newly Registered

Any Clarity on this ?

Post by bansal.sb » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:20 am

Hi Guys,
Has anybody got any clarity from UKBA on this ? I mailed Settlementteam but havent got any reply from them. I am applying for ILR (combination of WP+Tier 1 General) in November. I got my Tier 1 G in Feb 2010 and got 10 points for my Masters from India. I also have statement of Comparibility from UK NARIC which states my Masters is equivalent to British taught Master's. I checked PB calculator and i get 10 points for my Bachelors for english language as well. Not sure if i should get my Bachelor's assessed by UK NARIC for English language ? Any clarity is appreciated

Thanks,
Sachin

vkrao20
Newly Registered

Post by vkrao20 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:43 pm

In the following document it is clearly saying that..the point based calculator contains information from UK NARIC as to which academic
qualification. I think final certificate from university, medium of instruction certificate from university and point based calc printout is sufficient.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... icants.pdf
How can I check if my degree/PhD meets the criteria for the English
language requirement before I make an application?

You can check this using the Points Based Calculator which can be located at
the following UK Border Agency web address:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/pointscalculator

The calculator contains information from UK NARIC as to which academic
qualifications they deem to have been taught to the standard of a Bachelors or
Master’s degree or PhD in the UK. When you start using the calculator input
any answer you wish until you get to the page on ‘English language’. Then
select
I have a qualification that was taught in English

On the following page ‘English language – qualifications’
enter the details of your qualification as requested including country of award;
qualification; institution or body: course length, course subject and year of
award.