ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Mortgage/shared ownership for retained rights

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Guerro
Member of Standing

Mortgage/shared ownership for retained rights

Post by Guerro » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:07 pm

Hello everyone,

I got retention of rights issued October 2012 valid till October 2017, I entered the UK in Feb 2009 and as a result I will get my Permanent residence in Feb 2014.
Anyway, I applied for a mortgage with Barclays Woolwich and the advisor said I quaify then we submitted all docs and heard the most awkward reply "my visa doesn't enable me to buy shared ownership properties, however if I have permanent residence I can or if I apply now with my current visa (they mean the retention of rights) I should buy a freehold and the bank will lend me money!"
How can you give someone 100% loan when you are refusing to give him just a share????!!!! I got another explanation saying I don't qualify for shared ownership properties to start with because I don't have ILR.
I opted for peace of mind and went straight to Halifax but my question is:
Can non EEA with retained rights apply and obtain a mortgage? Is he only entitled to freehold or can he get shared ownership or any other government backed scheme?
Appreciate your answers,

Guerro

askmeplz82
Diamond Member

Re: Mortgage/shared ownership for retained rights

Post by askmeplz82 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:12 pm

I don't think it is the right place to ask this question. You should speak to citizen advise bureau
UK Student Visa : 04/2004 - 09/2009
EEA Residence Card : 07/2010 - 7/2015
EU Settled Status: Confirmed on 16th July 2019
Naturalisation : Confirmed on 02nd Oct 2020
Passport Approval : 21st Feb 2021

Imshzd

Re: Mortgage/shared ownership for retained rights

Post by Imshzd » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:06 pm

Guerro wrote:Hello everyone,

I got retention of rights issued October 2012 valid till October 2017, I entered the UK in Feb 2009 and as a result I will get my Permanent residence in Feb 2014.
Anyway, I applied for a mortgage with Barclays Woolwich and the advisor said I quaify then we submitted all docs and heard the most awkward reply "my visa doesn't enable me to buy shared ownership properties, however if I have permanent residence I can or if I apply now with my current visa (they mean the retention of rights) I should buy a freehold and the bank will lend me money!"
How can you give someone 100% loan when you are refusing to give him just a share????!!!! I got another explanation saying I don't qualify for shared ownership properties to start with because I don't have ILR.
I opted for peace of mind and went straight to Halifax but my question is:
Can non EEA with retained rights apply and obtain a mortgage? Is he only entitled to freehold or can he get shared ownership or any other government backed scheme?
Appreciate your answers,

Guerro
Shared ownership or any other gov. Backed schemes are totally for local peoples.(settled people's)

A person who retain rights of residence is not consider as a settled person in the uk.

Only ILR or PR or British passport holders can enjoy shared ownership or discounted rent etc.

I suggest you,if you want to buy a property on mortgage then try private brokers,they will charge little extra but at least you will get it.

Banks or shared once are difficult on ROR.

Guerro
Member of Standing

Post by Guerro » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:59 pm

Private brokers, how do they work? any further advice on that point please? are you sure I dont qualify for a conventional mortgage?

Imshzd

Post by Imshzd » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:11 pm

Guerro wrote:Private brokers, how do they work? any further advice on that point please? are you sure I dont qualify for a conventional mortgage?

Search private brokers in your local area.
There are hundreds of private financiers offering private mortgages,and easy to get one.

As you already visited some banks and you better know their answeres