ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

re-entering the UK - ILR

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

sally1

re-entering the UK - ILR

Post by sally1 » Sun May 27, 2007 8:12 am

I always panic when arriving back in uk...I have ILR and have had this for 2+years...
As my spoken english is limited and i get very nervous i panic...my question is what extra documents should i carry in case i am asked about my status in the uk? should i take council tax bills/bank statements etc with me...+ i have young children with me...

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sun May 27, 2007 9:49 am

Sally, when you re-enter the UK, who long will you have been out of the UK? And given the lack of UK embarkation controls ... no stamp in your passport when you left the UK .... is it clear from other stamps when you left? A stamp into another country?

Assuming that time outside the UK has not been a continuous period exceeding two years, you are perfectly entitled to use your ILR to resume your residence in the UK. Having something like a Council Tax bill and recent bank statement is probably not necessary. However, for your peace of mind, yes why not take those two documents.
John

sally1

Post by sally1 » Sun May 27, 2007 4:30 pm

John...Hello
In total since i got my ILR about two years ago, i have been out of the UK for 10 weeks...ppt stamps confirm this...

This year i have been in the UK throughout but will be traveling towards the end of the year for 7 weeks...

see my ppt is from a Mid eastern country not liked by the UK and i maybe paranoid but i feel uneasy about how we are looked at by the airport authorities here... :(

what if any questions do IO ask?
thanks again

aristo
Newly Registered

Post by aristo » Sun May 27, 2007 4:50 pm

3 questions asked each and every time:
How did you obtain ILR? (4 years WP holder in my case)
Where am I flying in from and how long have I been away?

tekaweni

Post by tekaweni » Sun May 27, 2007 6:36 pm

Sally - you've had ILR a couple of years now, so do you qualify for UK citizenship? A British passport gets no questions when arriving at a UK airport.
If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always gotten