ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

New english test requirement from 28 oct 2013 for ILR

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

FMB22

New english test requirement from 28 oct 2013 for ILR

Post by FMB22 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:12 pm

Dear members

I am applying ILR in Nov 13.
I have passed Life in the UK in Nov 12. I have ielts test reprt which was used for entry clearance of student visa in 2007 and later in 2008 for switching from student to work permit and same ielts was used for two extensions in 2010 and feb 2013.
Is Same Ielts Of 2007 could be used for ILR which is due in coming Nov or needs to be passed new test?
Regards

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:30 pm

The issue might be, the certificate is expired is it not? Do you have a degree taught in English? You'll also have to pass the life in UK test.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

FMB22

Post by FMB22 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:03 pm

Thanks for response.
I have used same test till feb 13 regarding extensions.
I don,t have degree in english.
Regards

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:05 pm

Was the certificate used to satisfy a B1 requirement in a previous application?
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

FMB22

Post by FMB22 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:30 pm

Yes i had 6 band in listening and 6.5 in speaking.
I think it is above the required level?

wpilr_nov12
Diamond Member

Post by wpilr_nov12 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:56 pm

D4109125 wrote:...... Do you have a degree taught in English?......
FMB22 wrote:.....I don,t have degree in english.
Please do not send me PM if I haven't sent you one yet.
My ILR, MN1 and kids PP stories.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:20 pm

Do you have any degree which has been instructed in English?

sheraz7
Respected Guru

Post by sheraz7 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:33 pm

Please donot send PM. Write in open forum to facilitate others too.
REGARDS

FMB22

Post by FMB22 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:51 pm

D4109125.

I have post graduate diploma which was taught in english.

Sheraz7.
Thanks for sharing information.
What you think,I don,t need new english test as mentioned in the guidance?

Mind_The_Gap

Post by Mind_The_Gap » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:50 pm

FMB22 wrote: What you think,I don,t need new english test as mentioned in the guidance?
Applicants who already have an English language qualification at B1 level or above will not be required to take another one. For example, someone who demonstrated a knowledge of English equivalent to B1 level when applying for entry clearance will not be required to take a further test in order to qualify settlement.

Source: Changes to the Knowledge of language and life in the UK requirement for settlement and naturalisation

params0073
United Kingdom

Post by params0073 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:55 pm

The question for all is I suppose that when you applied for your entry clearnce, was you degree Masters/Becholer was equivalent to B1? As I applied for entry clearance and got visa coz my degree appeared on PBC so how do you figure out that you met B1 level at entry clearance .Also PBC calculator when awards 10 point doesn’t tell you what level you are comparing against.

SallyW
Newly Registered

Listening Speaking Test - Oct rule change

Post by SallyW » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:10 pm

Dear Forum members,

My spouse will be applying for the ILR late Jan 2014 based on initial 2 year spouse visa.

Questions:-

1. He has a Bachelors degree in Economics from the States does he need to do the listening and speaking test. He has done the life in the uk test. Due to the rule change in Oct wasn't sure if he needs to do it.

2. How far in advance can we make the PEO appt? We will be applying late Jan 2014.

Many thanks for your help. So glad I found this forum !

Kind regards,
Sally

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:37 am

Sally, is your spouse from the US? If so, he is exempt from the new additional English requirement.

Appointments can be booked up to 6 weeks in advance.

SallyW
Newly Registered

Post by SallyW » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:02 am

6 wks in advance thank you

And no my spouse is pakistani but he did his degree
in economics from the states....

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:21 am

That should be fine. Use the PBS calculator and print of the award of 10+ points proof.

Mind_The_Gap

Post by Mind_The_Gap » Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:30 pm

params0073 wrote:The question for all is I suppose that when you applied for your entry clearnce, was you degree Masters/Becholer was equivalent to B1? As I applied for entry clearance and got visa coz my degree appeared on PBC so how do you figure out that you met B1 level at entry clearance .Also PBC calculator when awards 10 point doesn’t tell you what level you are comparing against.
Correct me if I'm wrong - I'm lead to believe that anyone who has already passed thier IELTS to enter the UK does not have to retake it..

Source: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... -tests.pdf
Mind_The_Gap wrote: Applicants who already have an English language qualification at B1 level or above will not be required to take another one. For example, someone who demonstrated a knowledge of English equivalent to B1 level when applying for entry clearance will not be required to take a further test in order to qualify settlement.

Source: Changes to the Knowledge of language and life in the UK requirement for settlement and naturalisation

drdh4
Mood:
Sri Lanka

Post by drdh4 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:28 pm

How is your qualification assessed?

Points will be awarded for a qualification which is assessed and recognised by the UK National Recognition Information Centre (UK NARIC) as meeting or exceeding the recognised standard of a bachelor's or master's degree or a PhD in the UK.

The points-based calculator contains information from UK NARIC on the equivalency of overseas qualifications. We will use the calculator to assess the qualifications you use.

If you cannot find your academic qualifications on the points-based calculator, you may still wish to claim points for it. If so, you should contact UK NARIC directly for an assessment of the level of the qualification and, if UK NARIC confirms it is of the required level, obtain a letter and/or confirmation certificate from UK NARIC. You can find a link to the UK NARIC website on the right of this page. It is an independent website, for which we are not responsible. It may charge a fee for confirming qualifications.

If UK NARIC cannot confirm the equivalence of your qualification, we will not award points for it. In this case, you may wish to use an alternative qualification if you have one.

akhan25

Post by akhan25 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:41 pm

Mind_The_Gap wrote:
params0073 wrote:The question for all is I suppose that when you applied for your entry clearnce, was you degree Masters/Becholer was equivalent to B1? As I applied for entry clearance and got visa coz my degree appeared on PBC so how do you figure out that you met B1 level at entry clearance .Also PBC calculator when awards 10 point doesn’t tell you what level you are comparing against.
Correct me if I'm wrong - I'm lead to believe that anyone who has already passed thier IELTS to enter the UK does not have to retake it..

Source: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... -tests.pdf
Mind_The_Gap wrote: Applicants who already have an English language qualification at B1 level or above will not be required to take another one. For example, someone who demonstrated a knowledge of English equivalent to B1 level when applying for entry clearance will not be required to take a further test in order to qualify settlement.

Is that mean if I have to apply after 28 oct for naturalization I can use my ielts 6 band I used in 2007 for student visa for entry clearance which was expired in 2010 i guess.

SallyW
Newly Registered

Post by SallyW » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:15 pm

Another question my spouse may need to travel for work at around the time of when we apply for the ILR if we do it in person I believe its done on the day but will he need to wait for the biometric card to come thru in the post before he can travel and how long does this normally take

cheers ppl

Sally

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:16 pm

You usually receive a new BRP within 10 working days of approval.