ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

English requirement for ILR since October 2013

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Saanvi

English requirement for ILR since October 2013

Post by Saanvi » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:51 am

Dear All,

I would like to know the English requirement rules for the settlement. I found out from the ukba site that everyone needs to pass two tests from October 2013:
1) Life in the UK test.
2) ESOL test.

I passed IELTS test for my Tier 1 (which expired within two years of taking the test). I also could process my Tier 1 Extension using the same expired results.

Now I am eligibile for ILR next year. I would like to know the following:
1) Is IELTS accepted as the second part of English requirement since October 2013 (rules seem to be changing since October as per the UKBA website).
2) If IELTS is accepted. Am I still allowed to use the Expired IELTS results which I used to Tier 1 extension.

Thanks in advance,
V

kais

Post by kais » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:51 am

Hi

I am applying next year as well and with regards to English requirement, I would like to add or say that it is on UKBA's website that
How do I demonstrate my knowledge of language and life in the UK?
If you are not exempt from the KOL requirement, you must demonstrate a good knowledge of language and life in the UK before you apply for settlement. Most applicants will need to do this by:

passing the 'Life in the UK' test, if they speak English to a reasonable standard, or if they are currently in the UK as skilled or highly skilled migrants; or
taking and passing a course in English and citizenship, if they do not speak English.
So I myself is concentrating over above qoute from UKBA (its copied from UKBA website) . It says yes you got to demonstrate 2 tests

1- Life in UK Test ( We ALL must have to pass it including Skilled and Highly skilled migrant)

2- English Language Ability ( we are not exepmt but it could be DEMONSTRATED by showing that we already have proved it and as well as we are on skilled or high skilled visas.

Saanvi

Post by Saanvi » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:17 am

Hi Kais,

Thanks for your reply and the quote from the ukba website.

I also read that initially, but wanted to be sure so called up the Croydon customer service just now who said that the obviously Life in the UK test is a mandatory requirement.

With respect to the other English requirement, it is still in decision making so we need to wait until end of September/October from when the rules are going to change to have the final decision.
- It may happen that IELTS is not in the considered list anymore. Then I/we have to look into other English qualifying options.
- It may happen that IELTS is considered but it should not be expired. Means, they may want something which is not expired. In that case, I/we would need to take a separate test for it to be accepted.

He also mentioned that Tier1 works in a different way (and ILR is works differently so we can't consider anything until its final) so its better to wait until the final decision comes out.

Did you also use IELTS for your Tier1 and its extension or some other test?

Its better keeping an eye on that. Please post your comments again as soon as you get to know of any change or if you see any confirmation on this.

The best would be that they accept the initial Tier 1 expired qualification (as your pasted quote from UKBA website says). We never forget what we speak or have been tested on. Isn't it :-).

Regards,
V

kais

Post by kais » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:16 pm

Hi

I am not Tier 1 Category I am in Tier 2 (G) and proved English Language Proficiency in the initial Application of Tier 2(G) through a letter from ACCA stating that ACCA 2 stages completed are equivalent to United Kingdom Bacholer Degree and it is taught in English (Obviously in UK and every where else as well ) :D ) So UKBA accepted it that time so I am hoping they should accept it for ILR as well, because of the Previous Qoute from UKBA website and which really makes sense as well and I hope and wish they dont make it happen which will be a silly thing to do. I mean if some one is on skilled or highly skilled migrant visa its very LIKELY and OBVIOUSE that

1- They are working in UK must be proficient in English

2- If they ave proved English Proficiency in initial Application , this SKILL MOST LIKELY must go up and IMPROVE rather going down. ( At least I never came accros some one whose English Skill got worst with the passage of time in the provided situation :lol:)

Lets see what comes out of box after October 2013.

regards

Saanvi

Post by Saanvi » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:28 pm

Yeah very true :-). Lets hope for the best.

FMB22

Post by FMB22 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:29 pm

thebuffy
Newly Registered

Post by thebuffy » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:00 pm

Whatever the new rules will be coming in next months, we all had to work harder on English ability or in school or in work or documents.

It seems that English Language requirement has always come first and priority.