ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA SPOUSE MAKING APPLICATION DURING DIVORCE.... ANY CHANCE?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

judasiscariot
Newly Registered

EEA SPOUSE MAKING APPLICATION DURING DIVORCE.... ANY CHANCE?

Post by judasiscariot » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:06 pm

I am married to a brit national who exercised their EU rights in another eu country 3 years back. I then came back to this country on the back of that but since overstayed. We are divorcing pretty soon. Is there any chance I can make my application inspite of the divorce? I read somewhere that spouses of eea nationals could still have retain the right of residence if the marraige subsisted for a minimum of 3 years and at least one year spent in the eea country. A few questions i have about the interpretation of this are:

1.) Do I have to be legal in the one year spent in the eea county where i am making the application?

2.) If i was legal in another eea country does that count?

Will I have a leg to stand on?

I have tried to beg the spouse not to divorce but seems this is a lost cause.

All advice will be welcome. Thanks for sharing your insight.

SouthWest1

Re: EEA SPOUSE MAKING APPLICATION DURING DIVORCE.... ANY CHA

Post by SouthWest1 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:56 pm

judasiscariot wrote:I am married to a brit national who exercised their EU rights in another eu country 3 years back. I then came back to this country on the back of that but since overstayed. We are divorcing pretty soon. Is there any chance I can make my application inspite of the divorce? I read somewhere that spouses of eea nationals could still have retain the right of residence if the marraige subsisted for a minimum of 3 years and at least one year spent in the eea country. A few questions i have about the interpretation of this are:

1.) Do I have to be legal in the one year spent in the eea county where i am making the application?

what do you mean be overstayed? i suppose you have used Surinder Singh route to come here based on what you said?
if this is the case, then theoretically you never overstayed as you have the right as a family member coz your wife is considered as an EU here under EU regulations.

also, your second question is a bit confusing as you seem to be asking to apply here in UK and you are already here so why going to different country to apply from?
if my assumptions are correct, then i suppose you have retained your rights providing you can submit proof of your EU spouse exercising treaty rights!

judasiscariot
Newly Registered

Post by judasiscariot » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:52 pm

[quote="SouthWest1"]

what do you mean be overstayed? i suppose you have used Surinder Singh route to come here based on what you said?
if this is the case, then theoretically you never overstayed as you have the right as a family member coz your wife is considered as an EU here under EU regulations.

also, your second question is a bit confusing as you seem to be asking to apply here in UK and you are already here so why going to different country to apply from?
if my assumptions are correct, then i suppose you have retained your rights providing you can submit proof of your EU spouse exercising treaty rights![/quote]

Well, I thought I was an over stayer..... as i overstayed the visa put in my passport when i entered. It was a 6 month visa thingy not the usual EEA permit I heard people talk about. It was issued at the port of entry (airport) by UKBA officials after a lot of hassle and arguing with them.

1.) As you mention submitting proof of my ex spouse exercising their treaty rights, i suppose you mean working?

2.) Does studying count? Or being self sufficient?

3.) What documents would be required as proof?

4.) Would i need to persuade my ex to hand over the marriage certificate and their resident registration cards etc? I ask because that would be like pulling tooth.

All i can say we have at the moment by way of documentation are my ex's registration certificate for self employed persons in the other eu country where we lived and their eu citizen resident registration card along with marriage certificate and bank document in our names and my residence card. Would that be enough documentation?

I have lived under this burden for the past couple of years and i am at breaking point. I am considering going back to eastern europe where i still have legal residence status although job prospects are very dire for me there due to language and economic issues.

Thanks for the heads up. Greatly appreciated.

I will also like to add that when I just rang to ask my ex spouse about further documentation now, they told me that they had destroyed or lost some of the remaining documentation to help them move on... hmnnn

askmeplz82
Diamond Member

Post by askmeplz82 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:22 pm

judasiscariot wrote:
SouthWest1 wrote:

if my assumptions are correct, then i suppose you have retained your rights providing you can submit proof of your EU spouse exercising treaty rights!
Well, I thought I was an over stayer..... as i overstayed the visa put in my passport when i entered. It was a 6 month visa thingy not the usual EEA permit I heard people talk about. It was issued at the port of entry (airport) by UKBA officials after a lot of hassle and arguing with them.

1.) As you mention submitting proof of my ex spouse exercising their treaty rights, i suppose you mean working?

4.) Would i need to persuade my ex to hand over the marriage certificate and their resident registration cards etc? I ask because that would be like pulling tooth.

All i can say we have at the moment by way of documentation are my ex's registration certificate for self employed persons in the other eu country where we lived and their eu citizen resident registration card along with marriage certificate and bank document in our names and my residence card. Would that be enough documentation?

I have lived under this burden for the past couple of years and i am at breaking point. I am considering going back to eastern europe where i still have legal residence status although job prospects are very dire for me there due to language and economic issues.

I will also like to add that when I just rang to ask my ex spouse about further documentation now, they told me that they had destroyed or lost some of the remaining documentation to help them move on... hmnnn

1. exercise treaty right ( working, studying or self sufficient ) ?

2. Studying count but you need health insurance with that too

3. Your residence for one year in the UK after you arrived in the UK + exercise treaty right during divorce + 3 years marriage . if you can prove all those you will retain your right of residence here in the UK

4. I think marriage certificate you can get one from registry office even if you don't have one so that's not difficult but you will need exercising treaty right from divorce proceeding - decree absolute , 1 year UK residence proof for both of you

even if your EEA family permit expired you were not illegal here in the UK under EU law so don't worry.
Last edited by askmeplz82 on Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UK Student Visa : 04/2004 - 09/2009
EEA Residence Card : 07/2010 - 7/2015
EU Settled Status: Confirmed on 16th July 2019
Naturalisation : Confirmed on 02nd Oct 2020
Passport Approval : 21st Feb 2021

askmeplz82
Diamond Member

Post by askmeplz82 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:36 pm

[quote="judasiscariot"][quote="SouthWest1"]
Last edited by askmeplz82 on Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UK Student Visa : 04/2004 - 09/2009
EEA Residence Card : 07/2010 - 7/2015
EU Settled Status: Confirmed on 16th July 2019
Naturalisation : Confirmed on 02nd Oct 2020
Passport Approval : 21st Feb 2021

SouthWest1

Post by SouthWest1 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:44 pm

askmeplz82 wrote:
judasiscariot wrote:
SouthWest1 wrote:

1. Your EX exercise treaty right for one year in the UK after you arrived ? ( working, studying or self sufficient ) ?

2. Studying count but you need health insurance with that too

3. Your residence for one year in the UK after you arrived in the UK + exercise treaty right during divorce + 3 years marriage . if you can prove all those you will retain your right of residence here in the UK

4. I think marriage certificate you can get one from registry office even if you don't have one so that's not difficult but you will need exercising treaty right from divorce proceeding - decree absolute , 1 year UK residence proof for both of you

even if your EEA family permit expired you were not illegal here in the UK under EU law so don't worry.
As askmeplz said, you would need all possible documents to support your case here.
as for the stamp, my be you are referring to 1A stamp here?

Also, if you need good advice in this forum, you might supply more info on how long you have been here and been with your ex exactly...etc, so gurus and other members with experience can provide good info.
i suppose you were married abroad? if this is the case, then try to get a duplicate for the marriage certificate as it will help with your application. if this is causing too much stress, i would suggest to use a solicitor ( a good one who understands in EU laws) to get your application sorted and remember, keep it civilised with your ex as you will definitely need some documents from her to support your application.

SouthWest1

Post by SouthWest1 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:48 pm

also to add, for UKBA a marriage is still valid until a decree absolute is issued even if you both leaving in 2 different address.
and a quick divorce will take usually 3 months to be finalised so its a bit of time to get all papers ready and sorted

good luck

judasiscariot
Newly Registered

Post by judasiscariot » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:29 pm

[quote="SouthWest1"]also to add, for UKBA a marriage is still valid until a decree absolute is issued even if you both leaving in 2 different address.
and a quick divorce will take usually 3 months to be finalised so its a bit of time to get all papers ready and sorted

good luck[/quote]

Thanks everyone.... to clarify,

we got married outside the EU as i am a third country national.

We then lived in an eastern european country for a year then came back to the UK. Marriage deteriorated pretty fast after that.

We came back about 2 years ago. I have never heard of the A1 visa mentioned earlier... maybe thats what i had on the passport. The ink is terribly smeared and barely legible anyway. It clearly states the date of issue and duration though.

SouthWest1

Post by SouthWest1 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:43 pm

An A1 stamp will be similar to stamps on page 40 onwards

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... iew=Binary

judasiscariot
Newly Registered

Post by judasiscariot » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:20 am

[quote="SouthWest1"]An A1 stamp will be similar to stamps on page 40 onwards

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... iew=Binary[/quote]

Yes!!! that's the stamp i have in the passport! So is that the one they call A1? I see. Thanks for the insight. :) :D :lol:

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:27 am

judasiscariot wrote:I am married to a brit national who exercised their EU rights in another eu country 3 years back. I then came back to this country on the back of that but since overstayed. We are divorcing pretty soon. Is there any chance I can make my application inspite of the divorce? I read somewhere that spouses of eea nationals could still have retain the right of residence if the marraige subsisted for a minimum of 3 years and at least one year spent in the eea country. A few questions i have about the interpretation of this are:

Your case is not so simple in my view. You are not a "normal" spouse of EEA national in the UK but a spouse of a UK national under the Surinder Singh route (i.e. returning after working in another member state). As far as I know, retention of rights following a divorce doesn't apply in your case.

Have you got any children? You might be able to make an application based on the children.

judasiscariot
Newly Registered

Post by judasiscariot » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:35 am

[quote="Jambo"][quote="judasiscariot"]

All advice will be welcome. Thanks for sharing your insight.[/quote]

Your case is not so simple in my view. You are not a "normal" spouse of EEA national in the UK but a spouse of a UK national under the Surinder Singh route (i.e. returning after working in another member state). As far as I know, retention of rights following a divorce doesn't apply in your case.

Have you got any children? You might be able to make an application based on the children.[/quote]

No we do not have any children together.... the only child was from their previos relationship and that's not mine biologically. The point you made is one of the areas i was trying to clarify by posting here as it seems a grey area to people in my circumstance (third contry spouse of surrinder singh type EU national).

Thanks for clarifying.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:26 pm

Jambo wrote:

Have you got any children? You might be able to make an application based on the children.
I don't this is right at all.

The rationale behind Surinder Singh, is to give family member the same rights as Union Citizens and their family members in the Directive/Regulation.

In those circumstances, i cannot see any logical reason why regulation 10 will not apply to family member who benefit from Surinder SIngh.

It was the invocation of Diatta, that got Mr Singh's case to the ECJ.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors