ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Italian citizen and non-eu wife inside UK, how to apply?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

suryadeva
Newly Registered

Italian citizen and non-eu wife inside UK, how to apply?

Post by suryadeva » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:28 pm

Hi,

Me and my wife entered the UK yesterday. We had no problems, since she holds a 5 year Maltese residence card, but that entitles her to stay only 6 months. I'm going to study for a whole year here and she would like to stay and work in that time here.

How can that be sorted? And also, what kind of registration do I need to do here?

Thanks for the help!

fysicus
Netherlands

Post by fysicus » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:07 pm

Just apply for a Residence Card in UK (form EEA2).

First of all, familiarize yourself with EU Directive 2004/38 and The Immigration (European Economic Area) Regulations 2006, which is the UK implementation of this directive. There is an awful lot of info about it on this forum as well as the UKBA website, and your situation looks very straightforward.

suryadeva
Newly Registered

Post by suryadeva » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:14 pm

fysicus wrote:Just apply for a Residence Card in UK (form EEA2).

First of all, familiarize yourself with EU Directive 2004/38 and The Immigration (European Economic Area) Regulations 2006, which is the UK implementation of this directive. There is an awful lot of info about it on this forum as well as the UKBA website, and your situation looks very straightforward.
Hey fysicus, thanks for the reply.

Yes, I spent the afternoon reading that, but after reading more stuff, it seems that this might be a bad option? Doesn't it takes 6 months to get the residence card? And my wife got a leave to remain of 6 months, doesn't that affect her working status once she gets the card?

I was thinking, isn't it better to apply for EEA family permit from abroad (from Malta, as we have friends there and were living there) and once it arrives (I reckon it must takes less than 6 months!) she goes to Malta, picks it up and come back?

Thanks!

suryadeva
Newly Registered

Post by suryadeva » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:31 am

Hi, anyone can help with the above?

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:41 am

A few weeks after applying for RC, your wife will receive acknowledgement letter (Certificate of Application - CoA). This will confirm her right to work in the UK until a decision is made (upto 6 months). There is no point getting a EEA Family Permit if you are already in the UK.

For a EEA FP application she will need to submit her passport. So unless she wants to spend a few weeks in Malta waiting for some thing she doesn't really need, I wouldn't submit an application for EEA FP.

suryadeva
Newly Registered

Post by suryadeva » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:22 pm

Great answer Jambo! Exactly what I needed to know. Thanks a lot.