ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Registration for child born in India

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

bqjt
Newly Registered

Registration for child born in India

Post by bqjt » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:42 pm

My son was born in India and came with us to UK. He was granted ILR along with us in July 2013. He is 10 years old now.

I want to know when I can apply for his Registration as BC?

I have searched in the FAQs and other threads but did not find any specific answer related to this topic.

Appreciate your answers.

Thanks
BQ

Jambo
Respected Guru

Re: Registration for child born in India

Post by Jambo » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:58 pm

bqjt wrote:I have searched in the FAQs
Read again Q1 in Citizenship FAQs - Common Questions - Read before posting - children. The relevant part is under the born abroad heading.

bqjt
Newly Registered

Post by bqjt » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:06 pm

Jambo, thanks for pointing it out. I'm confused, can you please tell what is meant by application by discretion ? Would my son not become eligible to apply for BC registration after one year of ILR ?

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:27 pm

For children, there are two types of applications:

* Application by entitlement - no discretion by the HO. If an application is made and the statutory requirements are met, the application must be granted.
* Application at discretion - in other cases.

Entitlement is only relevant if born in the UK or born to UK citizens. In all other cases, this is at discretion i.e. not 100% guaranteed.

Adult applications are also at discretion i.e. you might get refused. It's not 100% guaranteed.

In practice, if the child applies together with parents, the child will be granted BC if the parents are granted BC. The child can't apply without a parent applying.