ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

English test for a spouse visa wife living in Morocco

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

friend4u
Newly Registered

English test for a spouse visa wife living in Morocco

Post by friend4u » Fri May 31, 2013 12:28 pm

Hi,

I have just got married recently in Morocco, my wife is living now in Morocco, I am a British citizen (Moroccan origin).

To get the visa for my wife, I understand that the english test is the biggest obstacle.

I would be very thankful if someone had recent experience with english test for a spouse visa in Morocco?
How difficult was it? what was required? was it a test which involved writing as well as speaking,

Thankful for any useful websites for documentations about english test for spouse.

Many thanks indeed,

Amin

Omaricious

Post by Omaricious » Fri May 31, 2013 2:33 pm

Ahlan khay amin

I believe the biggest obstacle is the financial requirements not the english test!
Anywayy the english test is proportional to your wife's studies level!! Has she ever studied english? Whats her study level? Bcoz generally they require elementary level of english. normaly the test include READING LISTENING SPEAKING AND WRITING. Bt the UKBA only take listening and speaking into consideration for entry clearance.

For ur wife she'd better register for preparation courses before taking a test.

If u need any further infos feel free to ask.

Allah y3awen o ysahal omoor inshaalah.

friend4u
Newly Registered

Post by friend4u » Fri May 31, 2013 5:02 pm

Thank you very much Khoya, your comments are reassuring.

My wife has a university level (BAC + 3 Years), she speaks French and Spanish (and Arabic) she has a basic English level and she is taking English now to improve her language level.
From a financial point of view there is no issue Alhamdolillah, I have a good job.

For me the English test is what is going to delay the visa for my wife. I heard that if she passes the test "Succesfully" in July (next test is on 27 of July in Rabat), then she has to wait two weeks to hear the results and up to 3-4 weeks to get the certificate.

I heard that only listening and speaking are considered, what you said confirms that, thanks a lot.

I would be very thankful if you could give me some internet links from UKBA about English tests for wives/husbands or internet links with examples of the tests for people coming from outside the UK (Morocco for example) in case the test is different for people who are already in the country.

Many thanks,
A

Omaricious

Post by Omaricious » Fri May 31, 2013 6:13 pm

Here is the link of approved english test by UKBA: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... -tests.pdf

Indeed i've just passed the TOEFL iBT myself, the online score is given within 10 days, bt the certificate takes 6 weeks to arrive (im still waiting).

Hasn't ur wife studied english @ all in her life?? I mean can't she even count or answer simple questions??

What test did she register for in Rabat?

friend4u
Newly Registered

Post by friend4u » Fri May 31, 2013 10:45 pm

Thanks a lot for the replies, as you know in Morocco you choose the second foreign language as English, Spanish or Germain. My wife has studied
Spanish but she understands basic English like counting, ect... where did you have your test?
All the best

Omaricious

Post by Omaricious » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:08 am

You're welcome khay!! I took the test @ amideast in rabat on May 17th!! Okay u didnt answer my question about which test she registred for?

In all cases as u may have noticed in d link, they require the basic level of english, for example in the listening section she may listen to an academic passage and a campus conversation then answer multiple choice questions!! What i suggest is to join a preparation class for the test she is willing to take if there is one in her city, jst to get used to the type of questions etc..

To cut the story short, if u think she can understand main ideas in d news and can express her opinion about a topic in english then dont worry :)) you gonna make it inshaalah

Best of luck

friend4u
Newly Registered

Post by friend4u » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:15 pm

Thank you very much for your comments Khay, they are very useful indeed. I am now getting a clear idea about this test with your help of course.

My wife is going to send an application form to register for July 27th test (next available appointment in an open centre in Rabat, although she could choose to passe the test in an internal centre but she has to be a student in that internal centre). She still needs to complete the form and pay the fee, she is planning to do that this Monday. She is going to prepare for the test and hopefully the results will be positive inchallah.

If you have examples of internet links you have used yourself to prepare for the test that would be very much appreciated and kind of you.

I would be very thankful if you could also reply to these questions please.

How long it took you from sending the form to get a confirmation that you have been registered to pass the test?

How long was the test?
Was it a computer based test?
What/How was the writing part of the test?
Was the examiner British or Moroccan?
Given your experience, what are the chances of success, for someone who has basic understanding in English though they have a university degree?
Do you get the chance to hear the questions twice (ask the examiner to repeat it), and do you get time to think about the answer?, I guess yes
Do you have a simple example of a question you have been asked during the exam?

Once again many thanks indeed and the very best for your future and a warm welcome to the UK, it is a wonderful country and people here are really wonderful and friendly, you will definitely fell at home here no doubt about that.
A

Omaricious

Post by Omaricious » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:54 pm

Salam khay Amin

you still didn't answer me about the test provider!! what test is she going to apply for??

Here are the answers for ur questions (Chronololgicaly following ur questions):

actually i didn't use any internet website to prepare, i bought a book for toefl preparation and took some preparation courses @ the american center.

Personaly i called the center AMIDEAST and asked them about the TOEFL iBT, they explained that i have to come to Rabat n register by filling a form and paying in cash 1 900 DHS (test fees) this was back in March, on April they sent me the test appointment ticket which was due on 17th May as i told u before.

The test contains 4 sections, technicaly each section is 1 hour so in total it's 4 hours.

an internet based test is a test where there is no human interaction, just the candicate and the PC. all you answers are stored and sent to the test provider to score them

the TOEFL iBT writing section contains 2 question, 1st one u have to listen to a lecture n read a passage n then give the relationship 2nd one is a general question where they ask your about ur own opinion about a given topic. ( i don't think u have to worry about the writing part coz what they require is Listening and speaking)

There is no examiner u answer the question by clicking on the right answer and speaking through the mic.

the required score for spouses in the TOEFL iBT is 5 for Speaking and 9 for listening which r low levels, as i told u if she can understand the main ideas in news and her accent is a bit clear she will get a higher than required score.

No unfortunately u don't have the chance to hear the question or the listening passage twice.

there is no specific questions, for the listening part u listen to a lecture n then u get multiple choice answers for example they ask u : what the lecture is mainly about? u have 4 choices to choose etc... for the speaking they ask you Do you prefer to live in the city or in countryside? give reasons and details to support ur answers!! they give u 15 seconds to prepare the answer and 30seconds to speak (that why she needs to practice a bit)

yess indeed it is a great country i have been there twice as tourist but now i am willing to apply for spouse visa and settle inshaalah Thank you and hope my answers helped.

friend4u
Newly Registered

Post by friend4u » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:57 pm

Your answers are very useful, thank you very much indeed.

My wife is aiming to apply for Key English Test (KET) (equivalent to A1 level) the most basic level which is the minimum required, as I understand for a visa for spouses.
Last week, I called http://www.britishcouncil.org/morocco-exams-efl-ket.htm
and asked them for information, they told me about KET.
My wife is going to complete the registration form and send it on Monday to Britishcouncil (BC) like I said, with a hope she will have a place for the 25th of July available test at the BC inchaAllah.

You have passed TOEFL which is much more difficult than KET, for me I prefer that my wife passes KET because it is more suitable for her level.

Can I ask you if you are from Tangier? I am guessing because you are using Khay which is what Moroccans in the north use for brother, while Moroccans in other parts of the country use Khoya as you know,but they are both very beautiful words.

Many thanks again for your help, it is much appreciated.

Omaricious

Post by Omaricious » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:12 pm

hello again khay hehe and yess i'm from Tangier u're rightt mate. what about you?

i wish all the best to your wife for the test inshaalah

it is a pleasure to exchange posts here with a moroccan.. it's rare when i find one jst to give feedback about how his/her application went on.

anywayy if u have any further questions ur more than welcome KHAY :P

All the best

friend4u
Newly Registered

Post by friend4u » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:56 pm

My guess was right then, we are also from Tangier :lol:

I have some few additional questions if I may.

Where did you get your application form for your test?

Do you agree that KET is the right option for a spouse visa?

Do you know good schools in Tangier to prepare people for KET?

Is your wife a British citizen? I would like to keep in touch to see how long your visa application will take?

All the best,
A

Omaricious

Post by Omaricious » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:23 pm

as i told u i went to the test center n there i filled the form manually. payed the fees n that's it.

yeah sure, the important is to get the required score no matter which test it is.

unfortunately i don't know any school where ppl prepare for KET, indeed one of the reasons i chose to take TOEFL is that it is the only test i found a preparation course for.

yes my wife is british citizen she's tanjawiya too

of course with pleasure mate i intend to apply by july inshaalah hope it goes well :)

friend4u
Newly Registered

Post by friend4u » Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:00 am

Thank you very much Khay dyali for your help,

I wish you the best of luck with your visa application inchaAllah.

Omaricious

Post by Omaricious » Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:23 am

thank you :) wish u the same mate.

check ur PM later

haneen
Newly Registered

Post by haneen » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:15 pm

salams brother.i passed the english test my self and i succeed hamdlillah it was not that hard but for those who never studied english before it may seem tough ut ur wife needs to obtain A1 level in KEY ENGLISH TEST.(KET)

Ayyubi72
- thin ice -

Post by Ayyubi72 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:09 pm

haneen wrote:salams brother.i passed the english test my self and i succeed hamdlillah it was not that hard but for those who never studied english before it may seem tough ut ur wife needs to obtain A1 level in KEY ENGLISH TEST.(KET)
Could you shed some light on what the test is like? I mean how long does it take, and what kind of questions etc? Do they do reading and writing too? (I know only speaking and listening needs to be passed)

My fiancee will need to do the test in Tunis.

haneen
Newly Registered

Post by haneen » Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:19 pm

they pass the test in speaking ,writing and listening.speaking takes about 15 minutes, every 2 condidates pass it together with 2 teachers.one asks questions and the other teacher takes notes on how u speak and how fast u understand and respond.the teacher asks simple question like wot's ur name?how do u spell it,wot r ur hobbies...then writing and speaking take about 4 hours.writing is about vocabulary and simple questions but they r quiet many about 60 but alll simpleshe needs to be quick in answering.at the end of writing they will ask her to write about a 100 word about anything (school,friend'food...).for listening they let u listen to a conversation 3 times then answer question about it in a sheet.good luck to ur wife

Ayyubi72
- thin ice -

Post by Ayyubi72 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:47 pm

Thanks very much for the info.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:05 am

friend4u wrote:Hi,

My wife has passed the English test in Morocco in July 2013, we are still waiting for the certificate.
I would like to ask if there is a telephone number here in in the UK that I can call to ask for information about when my wife will be able to receive her certificate.

Many thanks,

Amin
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:05 am

Contact the test centre, they should be able to advise you.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

yk1978
Newly Registered

Post by yk1978 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:58 pm

the certificate can take upto nine weeks to arrive