ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

summons for non-payment of CT, effects on ILR application

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

ssf
Newly Registered

summons for non-payment of CT, effects on ILR application

Post by ssf » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:37 pm

Hi everyone,

I saw on the forum somewhere, about a summons for non payment of Council tax is not a problem for an ILR application until one gets a liability order...

I just wondered if anyone can offer me some advice on this;

I am currently on a spouse visa. I have recently been passed on some old letters from my old address (where I left in Jan 2012) and found reminders of council tax bills as well as a summons!!

I wasnt aware of any council tax liability as I was on a full time student when I was living there. I rang the council today and was told my account wasnt closed until Sep 2012 and my student exemption only last until Nov 2011, so it shows on their system that I owe them over a thousand pounds. The lady told me to update my record using the online system and submit prove of my tendency agreement etc and I will then get an update of the balance. I asked if the council has taken any legal action against me, she answered no. Despite the fact that her answer was no, I found a summons.. which I believe is one kind of legal actions?

I have no intention to ignore any tax if I was liable and I will make sure I pay whatever is outstanding, once they have correct my details on their system with the correct amount. I just wanted to know if there was any liability order granted against me, is it likely to ruin my application for ILR? I have read on so many websites that once you have got a summons, the next you would get is the LO...
And how would I find out if there was any LO issued to me? I moved out so long ago and I havent received any letters after I have moved...

I hope someone can kindly advise on this and it will be much appreciated ! I am so stressed out .... THANKSSSS

ayesha11

Re: summons for non-payment of CT, effects on ILR applicatio

Post by ayesha11 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:27 pm

ssf wrote:Hi everyone,

I saw on the forum somewhere, about a summons for non payment of Council tax is not a problem for an ILR application until one gets a liability order...

I just wondered if anyone can offer me some advice on this;

I am currently on a spouse visa. I have recently been passed on some old letters from my old address (where I left in Jan 2012) and found reminders of council tax bills as well as a summons!!

I wasnt aware of any council tax liability as I was on a full time student when I was living there. I rang the council today and was told my account wasnt closed until Sep 2012 and my student exemption only last until Nov 2011, so it shows on their system that I owe them over a thousand pounds. The lady told me to update my record using the online system and submit prove of my tendency agreement etc and I will then get an update of the balance. I asked if the council has taken any legal action against me, she answered no. Despite the fact that her answer was no, I found a summons.. which I believe is one kind of legal actions?

I have no intention to ignore any tax if I was liable and I will make sure I pay whatever is outstanding, once they have correct my details on their system with the correct amount. I just wanted to know if there was any liability order granted against me, is it likely to ruin my application for ILR? I have read on so many websites that once you have got a summons, the next you would get is the LO...
And how would I find out if there was any LO issued to me? I moved out so long ago and I havent received any letters after I have moved...

I hope someone can kindly advise on this and it will be much appreciated ! I am so stressed out .... THANKSSSS

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=145502

ayesha11

Post by ayesha11 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:28 pm

ssf
Newly Registered

Post by ssf » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:33 pm

ayesha11 wrote:chttp://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=145502

check dis link
Thanks for the link!

Just wondered if you might know of any possible impacts on my ILR application if a liability order was granted? thanks

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:30 am

Contact the magistrates court in the applicable area and ensure there was no liability order granted.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

ssf
Newly Registered

Post by ssf » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:45 pm

D4109125 wrote:Contact the magistrates court in the applicable area and ensure there was no liability order granted.
Thanks for your reply.
The council has confirmed they will recalculate the actual amount owed and let me know... the gentleman said as long as they have received the confirmation of when i moved out of the property, the debt recovery actions will be withdrawn.

So say if there was a liability order granted, as long as I settle the amount owed in full, I should be fine with the ILR application? is that correct?