ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travelling after Applying for British Passport

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

nswapnil
Newly Registered

Travelling after Applying for British Passport

Post by nswapnil » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:13 pm

Hi Friends,

I have tried looking for an answer for this but could not find what I am looking for.

I have got my Naturalisation certificate and I want to apply for my British Passport. I might have to travel to India for some work for couple of weeks and I am not sure if I can travel after applying for British passport because when you apply for a passport you have to submit your Original Naturalisation certificate so while coming back from India what document I can show to India and UK Immigration officer? I have Indian Passport and a Biometric Resident Permit (ILR) but being a BC I am not sure if that will be a valid card/visa to get into UK?

Thanks.

amit_london
Newly Registered

Re: Travelling after Applying for British Passport

Post by amit_london » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:18 pm

Very similar case and would appreciate if someone can help us,

My oath ceremony is in a week and need to travel India in a month which doesnt leave enough time to get the UK passport. I am aware that I can travel to India with the 90days grace period after naturalisation but what about entering back in the UK? I am reading through UKBA website but couldnt find a clear rule which would state that I can still use my ILR after naturalisation until I get UK passport or if I can use my naturalisation certificate to enter the UK.
Can someone please give me a link on UKBA website that would clarify how I enter UK in this situation? (I am aware that naturalisation is citizenship and in a way that gives me right to aboard, but need to see the rule to be sure).

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:55 pm

Though with BC your ILR becomes no longer relevant but HO will not invalidate the ILR vignette or BRP. For an outside agency (e.g. non UK immigration, airlines) these will still be considered valid documents for travel to the UK.
So you can use your Indian passport and ILR for return back to the UK. Unlike some other countries (e.g. USA, Israel, Poland etc) UK don’t mandate a BC citizen to exercise citizenship at the border. Just complete the landing card and enter as you have done in the past.

nswapnil
Newly Registered

Post by nswapnil » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:59 am

Thank you ban.s

ITGraduate
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by ITGraduate » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:36 pm

Thanks Ban.s

So I believe after Oath ceremony, I can still travel to India with my naturalisation certificate, Indian passport and Biometric ILR card

I will then come back ( with in 2 weeks ) and apply for British passport?

Is that a correct assumption?

Thanks

mr_danny

Post by mr_danny » Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:38 am

ITGraduate wrote:Thanks Ban.s

So I believe after Oath ceremony, I can still travel to India with my naturalisation certificate, Indian passport and Biometric ILR card

Thanks
The Govt of India allows you 3 months grace (from date on naturalization certificate) to travel on Indian passport and surrender the same. So you can go and come back.

Don't bother confusing check in or immigration at India, get along with your ILR card and Indian passport.

When you land in the UK, tell the immigration officer before they ask you that you are now a BC, however will be applying for a British Passport soon.

All should be smooth.

ITGraduate
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by ITGraduate » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:38 am

mr_danny wrote:
ITGraduate wrote:Thanks Ban.s

Thanks
The Govt of India allows you 3 months grace (from date on naturalization certificate) to travel on Indian passport and surrender the same. So you can go and come back.

Don't bother confusing check in or immigration at India, get along with your ILR card and Indian passport.

When you land in the UK, tell the immigration officer before they ask you that you are now a BC, however will be applying for a British Passport soon.

All should be smooth.

Thank you very much MR_Danny

I was confused and worried about different conflicting messages and information on this very same topic.

So I'll complete my oath ceremony and travel as usual to India. When I get back to UK, I myself will tell them I am a BC now ( should I show my naturalisation certificate to immigration in UK ? ) and will apply for British passport soon

Final Query - When I come back to Uk and apply for British passport should I submit my indian passport with the passport application? Is that mean I cant travel until I get my British passport

Thanks and Regards for your reply

Thanks,