ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Divorce and Citizenship Application

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Tafika Bath
Newly Registered

Divorce and Citizenship Application

Post by Tafika Bath » Mon May 20, 2013 9:45 am

I first came to UK in 2006 as a dependent of my wife who was a HSMP holder. In 2010 both of us were awarded ILR. We were eligible to apply for citizenship in 2011, but we unfortunately didn’t.

I am planning to apply for Citizenship now, but I am in a doubtful situation due to the status of our marriage. We had a nice marriage life since we married in 2006. My wife moved to our original country (Indonesia) in early 2012. Unfortunately, she filed a divorce case in mid of 2012 which is still on-going. Decree Nisi has already been issued, but not the decree absolute.

I seek advice for the following things:

1. I am planning for citizenship apply under five year qualification period. It has already been 2 years + 10 months since ILR was granted to us. We were physically together for 1 ½ years since ILR. I wonder if my citizenship application will fail as I am going to divorce from my wife who was the original visa holder and because of her that I got ILR. If someone can provide a good advice in this regard, it will be very much appreciated.

2. I am not sure if I need to mention the status of my marriage in the citizenship application – I mean to mention that there is a divorce pending for the marriage.

Your advice will be much appreciated.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Divorce and Citizenship Application

Post by Amber » Mon May 20, 2013 9:53 am

Tafika Bath wrote:I first came to UK in 2006 as a dependent of my wife who was a HSMP holder. In 2010 both of us were awarded ILR. We were eligible to apply for citizenship in 2011, but we unfortunately didn’t.

I am planning to apply for Citizenship now, but I am in a doubtful situation due to the status of our marriage. We had a nice marriage life since we married in 2006. My wife moved to our original country (Indonesia) in early 2012. Unfortunately, she filed a divorce case in mid of 2012 which is still on-going. Decree Nisi has already been issued, but not the decree absolute.

I seek advice for the following things:

1. I am planning for citizenship apply under five year qualification period. It has already been 2 years + 10 months since ILR was granted to us. We were physically together for 1 ½ years since ILR. I wonder if my citizenship application will fail as I am going to divorce from my wife who was the original visa holder and because of her that I got ILR. If someone can provide a good advice in this regard, it will be very much appreciated.

2. I am not sure if I need to mention the status of my marriage in the citizenship application – I mean to mention that there is a divorce pending for the marriage.

Your advice will be much appreciated.
Your divorce makes no difference as you are not applying as the spouse of a BC. See http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/briti ... uirements/ for the standard requirements
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

Tafika Bath
Newly Registered

Post by Tafika Bath » Mon May 20, 2013 10:11 am

Thank you very much for your reply Guru. Do you think I should still clearly describe the status of my marriage in the citizenship application OR is that OK to go on as I am still married (as Decree Absolute has not been issued yet) without mentioning anything else? In the second option, I can let the UKBA know about change of my marital status if the decree absolute is issued while my citizenship application is processed.

Your advice will be very much appreciated.

Thank You

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Mon May 20, 2013 10:38 am

Tafika Bath wrote:Thank you very much for your reply Guru. Do you think I should still clearly describe the status of my marriage in the citizenship application OR is that OK to go on as I am still married (as Decree Absolute has not been issued yet) without mentioning anything else? In the second option, I can let the UKBA know about change of my marital status if the decree absolute is issued while my citizenship application is processed.

Your advice will be very much appreciated.

Thank You
Your marriage is not relevant to your application and you are not divorced until decree absolute is issued.
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

mealos

Post by mealos » Tue May 21, 2013 8:12 pm

As D4109125 has explained there is no way you can be refused on that grounds. In fact, just to assure you with a practical example: my best friend has earned her citizenship a month ago or so, just in the similar situation as yourself..

By the way, please accept my sympathy for your situation, must be so hard mate.. wish you patience and may things get sorted out as painlessly as possible.

Tafika Bath
Newly Registered

Post by Tafika Bath » Wed May 22, 2013 8:17 pm

Dear mealos,

Many thanks for the information and kind words. Very much appreciated. I of course am passing a hard time in my life.

anush23

Post by anush23 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:30 am

similar question -

What should I write as a status on the citizenship application if my divorce is in progress but I havent got the absolute...

married, separated or divorced ?

Regards

njoy1987
Member of Standing

Post by njoy1987 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:44 am

ur divorsed after decree nisi put divorced

anush23

Post by anush23 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:23 am

Sorry if I was not clear earlier.

I meant if I have filed the petition but haven't got the decree nisi or absolute but not staying with my partner?

Regards

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:48 am

njoy1987 wrote:ur divorsed after decree nisi put divorced
No you're not, it's after the decree absolute!

anush23

Post by anush23 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:29 pm

D4109125,

Thanks

So what will the status be ?

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:56 pm

If you have not been issued a de facto separation by the courts then married, but supply information that your are divorcing and the decree nisi has been granted. That should rebut any assumption that your future intentions are not in the UK.