ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travel after British Citizenship Ceremony - EU passport

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

fingerscrossed123

Travel after British Citizenship Ceremony - EU passport

Post by fingerscrossed123 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:37 pm

Hi Guys,

Just called the council to book my BC ceremony. The lady was really nice but said that I would not be allowed to travel until I got my British Passport as any ILR would be cancelled from the time of the ceremony.

I then explained to her that I do not have or need ILR at all as I am a EU citizen and have a EU passport and so was planning to attend my ceremony, holiday for a few weeks, come back and then apply for my British passport. She said that she wasn't sure that that would be ok!?

I am pretty sure that it would be ok but she has really worried me with her doubts!

Please can someone confirm that I will be ok to attend my ceremony and then travel out and back in on my EU passport and then apply when I am back in the UK after my holiday for my British passport. I will only be travelling for 2-3 weeks on holiday.

Thank you for your help!

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:38 pm

You will have no problem travelling with your other passport.

In fact, I would not be in a rush to spend money on a British passport at this point (unless it gives you additional benefits such as visa waiver to the US which not all the EU counties enjoy from).

fingerscrossed123

Post by fingerscrossed123 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:43 pm

Thank you for your response, Jambo.

Some people seem to argue (on earlier threads on here) that you "should" leave and enter on the "local" passport if you're a citizen of the country you are leaving and entering on. However, I have not seen any formal guideance on this and it doesn't seem to make any sense for EU passport holders.

Therefore, on that basis, the above is incorrect / doesn't apply to me either does it?

Sorry for being so panicky but this person has really worried me. :(

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:03 pm

fingerscrossed123 wrote:Some people seem to argue (on earlier threads on here) that you "should" leave and enter on the "local" passport if you're a citizen of the country you are leaving and entering on. However, I have not seen any formal guideance on this and it doesn't seem to make any sense for EU passport holders.
Unlike other countries (US, Poland for example), the UK doesn't require British citizens to use a British passport to enter and leave the UK.

fingerscrossed123

Post by fingerscrossed123 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:17 pm

Jambo wrote:
fingerscrossed123 wrote:Some people seem to argue (on earlier threads on here) that you "should" leave and enter on the "local" passport if you're a citizen of the country you are leaving and entering on. However, I have not seen any formal guideance on this and it doesn't seem to make any sense for EU passport holders.
Unlike other countries (US, Poland for example), the UK doesn't require British citizens to use a British passport to enter and leave the UK.
Thank you so much, Jambo. I almost was in bits due to the stress from this lady's comments about travel - I thought it didn't make sense, thank you for your assurance. I feel so much calmer now. Thank you.