ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship query - if child registered as BC turns 18

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

ramu123

Citizenship query - if child registered as BC turns 18

Post by ramu123 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:03 am

Guys,
I tried to search the forum but couldn't find what I am looking for.

I have daughter who will be eligible for UK citizenship under section 1(3) - i.e. she was born before I got ILR / BC. I know that I can register her for British citizenship.
But on UKBA, I found that she will have register or naturalize again once she reaches 18.

Does that mean if she doesn' t satisfy the residence requirement when she turns 18 she will not be able to retain her British Citizenship?

Can you confirm please?

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:11 am

You are misinformed.

ramu123

Post by ramu123 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:17 am

Can you please detail what you mean by misinformed?

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:24 am

Having already registered as British when a minor, there is no need for existing BCs to re-register as British again when they turn 18, if that is what you are asking.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:43 am

The wording on the HO website is not great.

I suspect you are referring to
Can I register a child aged under 18 as a British citizen? wrote:To be able to register as a British citizen using application form MN1 the child must be under 18 on the day we receive the application. Once the child turns 18 he or she will need to apply for registration or naturalisation as an adult.
It should say
To be able to register as a British citizen using application form MN1 the child must be under 18 on the day we receive the application. If the child did not register before he turned 18, then Once the child turns 18 he or she will need to apply for registration or naturalisation as an adult.