ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Delay my Ceremony or Not........?? Please advise.

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

ak36

Delay my Ceremony or Not........?? Please advise.

Post by ak36 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:46 am

Dear all,

I have received my British Citizenship approval letter which means I should attend Citizenship Ceremony in a maximum of 3 months from the date of my letter. I have a scheduled trip to abroad for a month which will start in 10 days time. Now my question is can I attend ceremony now and apply for my British Passport when I come back from holidays. My country of origin allows dual nationality but I am rather thinking from the perspective of my new nationality (British). Would it cause any problems if I attend ceremony now and travel on my other passport (country of origin)?

Alternatively, I can just book my ceremony when I come back from holidays as it will still be within 3 months.

Looking forward to your expert advise.

Many thanks,
ak36

VR

Since your country allows dual nationality

Post by VR » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:50 am

Ak36,

Finish off the ceremony and leave for abroad. Comeback and apply for your british passport. Do not take a chance if there is no need and postpone to the end of 3 months.
cheers
vr

neoseal
Member of Standing

Post by neoseal » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:46 pm

I always recommend to finish off this kind of matter asap, before they change their mind or bring in new rules.... :)

ak36

Post by ak36 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:55 pm

Thanks VR and neoseal for your very kind advise.

Cheers,

ak36

dezialien
Newly Registered

Post by dezialien » Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:07 pm

i'm in a similar situation, although, waiting for my acknowledgement letter. except only that my country of origin doesn’t allow dual citizenship and heavily fines if you travel without giving up your original citizenship!

having said that, technically, you are not a citizen until you've done with your ceremony and taken Oath, therefore, my view is, it may be fine travelling before the ceremony but not after the ceremony, after collecting naturalization certificate but without British passport.

Although, however ridiculous unrealistic it may sound, I agree with othres that UKBA still has a right to stop us at port of return and revoke our citizenship!!!

tomo
Newly Registered

Re: Since your country allows dual nationality

Post by tomo » Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:09 pm

Hello everyone!
I'm also in a similar situation.
VR wrote:Ak36,
Finish off the ceremony and leave for abroad. Comeback and apply for your british passport. Do not take a chance if there is no need and postpone to the end of 3 months.
cheers
vr
How does that work if you go anywhere else but to your country of origin? (if that matters at all).

My understanding is, ILR status becomes invalid once you attend the ceremony and receive your naturalisation certificate, right? So you cannot use your current passport solely for the ILR stamp.

I guess you can use it as a normal passport. But what status do they give you if they admit you back in the UK? Will they, say, grant you with a tourist visa?

Can someone please clarify this situation?

Thanks!
T