ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travel via Ferry

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Hasaan1
Newly Registered

Travel via Ferry

Post by Hasaan1 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:49 pm

Hoping to travel via ferry to Ireland with non eu parent, probably via Holyhead.

Does anyone have experience of where the passport control is and when officers are there to ensure an entry stamp is made.

If the officers are not there is there somewhere you should go to report your arrival so that an entry stamp can be made.

If any one has experience of travelling with non eu parent via this route, I would sincerely appreciate your comments.

Diomond

Re: Travel via Ferry

Post by Diomond » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:15 pm

Hasaan1 wrote:Hoping to travel via ferry to Ireland with non eu parent, probably via Holyhead.

Does anyone have experience of where the passport control is and when officers are there to ensure an entry stamp is made.

If the officers are not there is there somewhere you should go to report your arrival so that an entry stamp can be made.

If any one has experience of travelling with non eu parent via this route, I would sincerely appreciate your comments.
Normally there are no immigration checks , when u arrive in dublin, you should go to garda immigartion in burgh quay and can get the landing stamp which will be valid for 3 months.

Brigid from Ireland
Member of Standing

Post by Brigid from Ireland » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:19 pm

If you have a job you should also e-mail revenue and ask for the dependent relative tax credit, assuming you will be supporting the parent and they have limited income of their own.
BL

Hasaan1
Newly Registered

Post by Hasaan1 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:30 pm

Thanks appreciate your comments.
Can you clarify if travelling without fp is there not any immigration checks at holyhead or on the ferry.
Do you have address for the guarda so that I know exactly where to go.
H

Diomond

Post by Diomond » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:56 pm

Hasaan1 wrote:Thanks appreciate your comments.
Can you clarify if travelling without fp is there not any immigration checks at holyhead or on the ferry.
Do you have address for the guarda so that I know exactly where to go.
H
yes, there are no routine checks i holyhead or dublin port.
Garda office address is 13,14 burgh quay, dublin 2

Hasaan1
Newly Registered

Post by Hasaan1 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:12 pm

Does anyone have experience of travelling this route and getting entry stamp either port or by going to Garda at the quay.
alternatively has anyone been refused and if so what happened.

What would be the outcome if you are refused entry at the ferry passport control or when you get to Garda.

mred1

Post by mred1 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:13 am

PLEASE do not be misinformed. OFTEN times, well twice that I have traveled to IRELAND via holyhead, I have met an immigration officer at the Dublin port & my passport has been stamped. I understand they are not there every time & everyday, BUT you never know. Also, At holyhead, I have been asked about the visa I have used to enter into the UK at the point of EXIT into Ireland.

Hasaan1
Newly Registered

Post by Hasaan1 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:24 am

I very much wish to go through passport control as I want the entry stamp in the passport to allow subsequent application rc.

I believe that I have all the proofs that anyone would wish to see to justify family member status.

Iam uncertain as to where the passport control people will be so I can specifically look them out. aim also unsure what would be the process if I had to go to Garda to get the passport stamped. Seems that if you have to go to an an office it becomes overly beurocratic whereas resolving the matter at a passport control at the ferry would be my best and more expedient.

I fear the case that entry may be refused although I believe we have all the information anyone could challenge. Not having done this before I am interested to know what would happen if they refused entry. In principle even if they did and we can insist on reasons for refusal to be in writing, I would look to go to appeal and hope to achieve the same end goal. Still iam unsure of what actually happens if they refuse. Would they simply return us on the ferry..

Appreciate any comments from those with experience in the matter.

dalebutt

Post by dalebutt » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:37 pm

Hasaan1 wrote:I very much wish to go through passport control as I want the entry stamp in the passport to allow subsequent application rc.

I believe that I have all the proofs that anyone would wish to see to justify family member status.

Iam uncertain as to where the passport control people will be so I can specifically look them out. aim also unsure what would be the process if I had to go to Garda to get the passport stamped. Seems that if you have to go to an an office it becomes overly beurocratic whereas resolving the matter at a passport control at the ferry would be my best and more expedient.

I fear the case that entry may be refused although I believe we have all the information anyone could challenge. Not having done this before I am interested to know what would happen if they refused entry. In principle even if they did and we can insist on reasons for refusal to be in writing, I would look to go to appeal and hope to achieve the same end goal. Still iam unsure of what actually happens if they refuse. Would they simply return us on the ferry..

Appreciate any comments from those with experience in the matter.
Having an entry stamp or visa gives you no certain advantage over other family members who do not, you have to wonder why you want to go through hoops for something which seems obsolete.

Hasaan1
Newly Registered

Post by Hasaan1 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:49 pm

Sorry I have not understood what you are implying by your last post.

Surely to have an entry stamp is recognition of lawful entry and hence worth having and should help in subsequent application for rc.

dalebutt

Post by dalebutt » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:08 pm

Hasaan1 wrote:Sorry I have not understood what you are implying by your last post.

Surely to have an entry stamp is recognition of lawful entry and hence worth having and should help in subsequent application for rc.
There is no term as unlawful entry when an EU citizen who wishes to exercise their rights, travel to another EU country with their non eu family member, if it was so, trying to obtain an entry permission at the border will in itself be unlawful as every visa required person should apply for visa before travelling.

In essence it does not facilitate RC application if your non eu family member gets entry stamp or not, as your family member will be a legal resident for the first 3 months regardless of stamp and subsequently if you start exercising your treaty rights which is the most important of all, your family member can then apply for RC

jinkazama_11
Member of Standing

Post by jinkazama_11 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:15 pm

read metlock judgement.

Hasaan1
Newly Registered

Post by Hasaan1 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:40 pm

Taking on board your comments I guess you are correct in respect of the principle of having an entry stamp. However the directive does make provision for non eu family members to travel without a visA. Hence to travel without an advance visa can not be unlawful.

In regard the the concept of travelling and not getting an entry stamp leaves the risk that someone else may not agree that the non eu person is indeed a legitimate family member. For this reason I want this to be tested at the earliest opportunity. How do you advise that I do that in an expedited manner.

dalebutt

Post by dalebutt » Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:06 pm

Hasaan1 wrote:Taking on board your comments I guess you are correct in respect of the principle of having an entry stamp. However the directive does make provision for non eu family members to travel without a visA. Hence to travel without an advance visa can not be unlawful.

In regard the the concept of travelling and not getting an entry stamp leaves the risk that someone else may not agree that the non eu person is indeed a legitimate family member. For this reason I want this to be tested at the earliest opportunity. How do you advise that I do that in an expedited manner.
I do not think you have understood your own statement, if you said the directive provisioned travelling without visa how then does having entry permit or not having one negate the provisions? You will in fact be risking arrest for your non eu family member, if you are not fortunate enough to meet a border staff who is competent in this regard.

You will do well to read Raducan anor V Mjelr. If you are anticipating that an officer who will have all evidence of your activities in Ireland , who also will have 6 months to him/herself would not agree that your family member is your family member, how much more a border staff who has a very limited time? You appear as wanting to experiment something which is completely avoidable, whatever the result good luck. Nuff said!

Hasaan1
Newly Registered

Post by Hasaan1 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:34 pm

Can you explain what is the benefit or otherwise of getting a FP before travel. Based on observations it appears that the consulates do not strictly work within the 15 days and often come up with objections which people spend time and expense via channels like solvit to over rule.

I now have a bit more time and hence contemplating to apply for FP rather than face possible hassle at border. I am happy to act on the later on the basis that an instant discussion is available and should there be refusal there is still avenues to appeal, etc. Better still might gain entry to allow straight application for RC.