ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Question about new KOLL rules after October 28

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

confused_soul
Newly Registered

Question about new KOLL rules after October 28

Post by confused_soul » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:25 am

Hi

I have couple of questions regarding the KOLL requirement

1. I had used my MSc degree (from India) to secure the points for English language during Tier1. But it looks like NARIC doesnt certify MSc degree for English language comparison going by some of the messages I read in the thread. ( I had done an integrated MSc). Any idea whether I can still use my MSc degree certificate?

2. My Wife had done a MBA from a british university. Does she need
a.) NARIC comparibility certificate
b.) can she use this to show her english language skills?

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks,

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:08 am

For B1 you can use the NARIC statement of comparability with a certificate/letter from the institution stating the degree was in English. You can use this for a Bachelor, Masters or PhD degree.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

tipu20

Re: Question about new KOLL rules after October 28

Post by tipu20 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:09 pm

I will suggest you to use Points calculator on UKBA website just like you used for extending Tier 1 G visa and put your degree information to claim the points , in the next couple of steps it will ask you to select about your english language requirements and there see if your selected degree satisfy the english requirements or not , if it does not then you will have to get a certificate of comparability otherwise i don't think you need any other certificate

Regards,
Tipu

confused_soul wrote:Hi

I have couple of questions regarding the KOLL requirement

1. I had used my MSc degree (from India) to secure the points for English language during Tier1. But it looks like NARIC doesnt certify MSc degree for English language comparison going by some of the messages I read in the thread. ( I had done an integrated MSc). Any idea whether I can still use my MSc degree certificate?

2. My Wife had done a MBA from a british university. Does she need
a.) NARIC comparibility certificate
b.) can she use this to show her english language skills?

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks,

isabelilla
Newly Registered

Post by isabelilla » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:03 am

Hi I will be applying for citizenship after 28th October.

I have a "University of Cambridge First Certificate in English, grade B. I took this test in 1996 when I first came to UK as a student.

I also hold this University of Cambridge ESOL Skills for Life(Entry level 3)
in Speaking and Listening
Writing
Reading
I achieved an exceptional level in all of them.

On the same year, I did a Literacy and Numeracy course and I achieved this "City & Guilds Level 2 Certificate in Adult Literacy and Numeracy" which is the highest level and hasn't got an expiry date.

So can the above certificates be enough to satisfy the Koll requirement or do I need something else? please advise me on this.

HSMPLOCHA

Post by HSMPLOCHA » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:23 pm

Hi All,

I am making an application for naturalization. I am here on WP+HSMP+Tier 1+ ILR and I was the primary holder. On the English requirement can you please clarify

1. My wife has a bachelors degree but it does not seem to satisfy the English requirement on the UKBA points calculator. I have done her English assessment of deg from NARIC and it came back as English was medium of instruction BUT it does not meet the requirements of CEFR level C1

Q: does the letter satisfy English requirement or should i do a comparability.

2. I have submitted proof from the university in Mumbai that the medium of instruction was English for my HSMP application. I suppose I satisfy the requirement.

InUkOnHsmp
United Kingdom

Post by InUkOnHsmp » Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:29 pm

I have not got any definitive answer on this yet, probably because its a lot of speculation at the moment, with these changes becoming effective from the 28th of October. We will probably only know once some of the members have gone through the process and got approval.

It may be a bit late for people like me and you I am afraid.

The safest bet at the moment looks to be spend some money and get an IELTS certification, which is what I am planning for myself and wife.
Challenges make life worth it!

HSMPLOCHA

Post by HSMPLOCHA » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:29 pm

thanks InUkOnHsmp. I was just filling in the form for my wife to do her IELTS.

you said you are both doing the test. Can I ask why. If you fulfilled the requirement you should not have to do the test. assuming you were the primary tier 1 / hsmp applicant.

InUkOnHsmp
United Kingdom

Post by InUkOnHsmp » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:38 pm

Hi hsmplocha,

Yes I have been thinking about this too, looking at the documentation at:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... hip/kol-uk

"If you already have a qualification at B1 level
Applicants who already have an English language qualification at B1 level or above will not be required to take another one. For example, someone who demonstrated a knowledge of English equivalent to B1 level when applying for entry clearance will not be required to take a further test in order to qualify settlement."

I did take IELTS at that time, and have the certificate with me, so that should work for me right?

Yes for my wife I am thinking of IELTS too, a quick question on that, we just need to do the general test or the academic one too?

saayinla

Post by saayinla » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:01 pm

In my opinion I think the language of the document is simple and straightforward enough to show that if you have a degree taught in English you do not need to take another test save for the LITUK test which is mandatory for all.

Degrees taught in English
Those who have obtained a degree taught in English will not be required to show a formal
speaking and listening qualification.

Those with an academic qualification (not a professional or vocational qualification) who provide
appropriate evidence that the qualification was taught or researched in English are considered
automatically to meet the English language component of the KoLL requirement and will not be
required to show a formal speaking and listening qualification. The qualification must be deemed
by UK NARIC to meet the recognised standard of a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or PhD in the
UK.
However, they will still be required to pass the Life in the UK test to demonstrate their
knowledge of life in the UK.
So in essence the above statement implies anyone with a Uk Degree up to PH.d would be acceptable to fulfill new requirement and a foreign degree once accredited by NARIC will also perform the same function.

InUkOnHsmp
United Kingdom

Post by InUkOnHsmp » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:14 pm

Well what certifications from NARIC can definitely prove, that the degree was taught in English? I regularly read members getting letters from their respective educations institutions saying the degree was taught in English.

If there is such a thing please do let me know it will save me a lot of hassle.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:59 pm

Institutions usually issue a certificate confirming the medium of instruction was English.
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

InUkOnHsmp
United Kingdom

Post by InUkOnHsmp » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:13 pm

Institutions usually issue a certificate confirming the medium of instruction was English.
Sorry for being unclear D4109125, the chances of us getting this are miniscule as her university is in India, when I said:
If there is such a thing please do let me know it will save me a lot of hassle.
I meant:
Well what certifications from NARIC can definitely prove, that the degree was taught in English?

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:10 am

The English Language Assessment, but will only show if it meets a C1 requirement, if it comes back negative, it's no use.

InUkOnHsmp
United Kingdom

Post by InUkOnHsmp » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:04 am

Right, thanks D4109125, so as I said for us IELTS looks like the safest bet.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:22 pm

It now appears the English Language Assessment may be of use as even if it states that the degree does not meet a C1 level it should still state that the degree was taught in English, providing the specified evidence is provided.

sanjeev211161
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Question about new KOLL rules after October 28

Post by sanjeev211161 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:57 pm

Hi
I had been to the NCS in Hamilton for my family of 4 members on 28 October 2015 to apply for Naturalization.

My son who has already met the English language element of the Knowledge of Life and language (KOLL) requirement in his earlier successful application for Settlement (Known as ‘indefinite leave to remain’) on 23rd May 2014 was asked to include the test results from a recognized English language tests on the Home Office site before NCS accepts his application.

It is clearly mentioned at serial no 1.22 on page 7 of 32 of Form AN Application form (version 05/15) available at https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... 9_2015.pdf
which states that:
I met the knowledge of language and life requirement to qualify for settlement on or after 28th October 2013;
I am planning to apply for him before 12 Nov 2015.
Kindly advise me if he can still use the same evidence for English as used in his Settlement application on 23 May 2014 and tick the box at serail no 1.22 on page 7 of 32.
Thanks
Sanjeev