ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Renewing Indian Passport at HCI - what documents ??

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

jpassport
Newly Registered

Renewing Indian Passport at HCI - what documents ??

Post by jpassport » Wed May 29, 2013 12:58 pm

Hi all,

I went to HCI to renew my Indian passport and my application was rejected :( - because I didn't carry my marriage certificate with me ... When I checked the HCI website nowhere was it mentioned that I would need my marriage certificate !!
I will be going again tomorrow, so can someone please let me know what documents I will require??

Also, the address on my Indian passport is no longer valid. I have a new address in India, but my permanent residence is in UK. There is a section in the form which asks for permanent Indian address - should I provide my old Indian address or my new Indian address. If I provide new Indian address, do I need address proof? I don't have any address proof as my parents live in that house and there are no bills or ration card in my name...

Thanks in advance for all your help :)

rajesh9pl
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by rajesh9pl » Wed May 29, 2013 2:13 pm

There are only two cases when a Marriage certificate required:
1. You want to add spouse name on your passport
2. When wife wants to change her maiden surname to husband's surname

Address:
You can give old address as permanent - no proof will be asked
If you want mention other address - you need to provide address proof (Utility bill, India or UK address, either way).

jpassport
Newly Registered

Post by jpassport » Wed May 29, 2013 2:18 pm

Thanks Rajesh!

I didn't want to add my husband's name to my passport and I didn't want to change my maiden name - they still insisted on seeing my marriage certificate !
I should have just left the spouse section of the form as blank... that way they wouldn't have known that I was married...

Will a copy of the electricity bill from my new Indian address be fine?
How many months bills should I take? Or is the current one sufficient ?

rajesh9pl
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by rajesh9pl » Wed May 29, 2013 3:31 pm

I can't comment why they would have asked for MC.

One recent utility bill is enough.

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Wed May 29, 2013 3:42 pm

jpassport wrote: I didn't want to add my husband's name to my passport and I didn't want to change my maiden name - they still insisted on seeing my marriage certificate !
I should have just left the spouse section of the form as blank... that way they wouldn't have known that I was married...
even though you haven't explicitly asked to include husband's name but as your marital status has changed since previous passport, you need to provide a MC (as this information would be recorded and also printed on the passport). This is in equivalent to a miscellaneous service where you are requesting spouse name to be added onto the passport. During the validity of the passport you have an option to include or not, but during renewal, unfortunately, it's defacto included.

leaving the section blank would have been unlawful/withholding information.

dezialien
Newly Registered

Post by dezialien » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:38 pm

ive had a sort of similar situation. We went to apply for a OCI/PIO for my wife (British) on basis of spouse of Indian national and even though we had marriage certificate with us and other originals with extra copies, they asked me to get her name added into my passport first!.

None of the document checklist on their site specify this. None the less, who can argue with HCI officials? we just gave up as it was afternoon while waiting for OCI/PIO queue and had to stand for dont know how long again for this counter. It was my wife's 1st experience of HCI or India as such as what an experience!

We would rather just have her multiple entry visa through VFS then dealing with HCI officials. I just wished they outsources OCI/PIO to VFS too just like visit visas.