ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Permanent Resident Visa Queries

About immigration to Canada, canadian immigration programms.
Skilled worker points calculator | about skilled worker immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

balloonysaintjohn
Newly Registered

Permanent Resident Visa Queries

Post by balloonysaintjohn » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:19 am

I wonder if anyone can help?

A friend of mine, an Indonesian national married (in Indonesia) to a Canadian from Nova Scotia; moved to Canada a few years ago, with her husband acting as her sponsor she applied for a permanent resident visa. They have been married for five years and have lived to together the whole time, in Indonesia, South Korea and now in Vancouver. She is still waiting for her permanent resident visa. But maybe six months ago my friend's husband moved out and now he's met someone else. He was supporting my friend financial but now he isn't. She claims he's informed the authorities in their change of circumstances, but I want to know what rights my friend has, and what obligations my friend's husband has in this situation. Surely you cannot just decide to terminate your sponsorship of someone you joined in matrimony, and brought to your country at the drop of a hat? Has my friend any rights under either provincial or federal law? Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I'm not Canadian.

neoseal
Member of Standing

Post by neoseal » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:37 pm

Just to clarify, husband is Canadian Citizen, married for 5 years to your friend.

Can you tell me how many years your friend has has actually lived in Canada? If she was accompanying a Canadian citizen outside Canada that will be counted towards her residency obligations and may be she can apply for citizenship. Has she appointed a lawyer for divorce?

balloonysaintjohn
Newly Registered

Post by balloonysaintjohn » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:08 pm

Yes, my friend has been married for five years to a Canadian citizen. She arrived in Canada in February 2012, so that's over a year and half. At the moment they are just separated, but I will ask her whether she plans to get divorced. Is divorce costly in Canada because her husband has stopped supporting her? Thanks for the information provided thus far.

neoseal
Member of Standing

Post by neoseal » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:59 pm

Divorce can be costly, however costs can be recouped from other party. Depends on what judge rule. Ask her to contact a lawyer some government organisation who can help for free. Information may be available from service canada or any library. You may want to post on Canadavisa.com forum as well.