ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Question about US Immigration Interview/Questions

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

cashew22206
Newly Registered

Question about US Immigration Interview/Questions

Post by cashew22206 » Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:48 pm

Hello,

I am a US Citizen married to a citizen of the UK. We married in Feb 2006, and have had to live in our respective countries since then. We have visited each other since then, and this August we are going to see an immigration attorney to move my husband here.

I know there will be a questioning and interview process. Would the two of us be questioned about our relationship, or would our family members (such as my mother who doesn't know we're married) be asked questions about our marriage?

Yes, my husband (hammerstein2007) has asked a different question in another post.

My mother is not the type of person who appreciates lying, and should she find out that we lied to her, I will be disowned, even for something as simple as to make myself happy.

Thank you in advance

jennifer

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:21 pm

You are not supposed to have multiple posts of the same issue no matter how much you change the arrangement of the question.
In any case, you really need to use some common sense. You are going to have to tell the immigration officer when you married and if your mother isn't current with the info, then how do you think immigration is going to evaluate it. In the investigation process the officer can rely just on his interview with you and can go to family members. So like I told your husband, you better come clean to the marriage as soon as possible, because this situation is ripe for a backfire.

cashew22206
Newly Registered

Post by cashew22206 » Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:26 pm

actually my question is different than his, I asked about the questioning and interview process. Would the two of us be questioned about our relationship, or would our family members (such as my mother who doesn't know we're married) be asked questions about our marriage?

From what I've read, it's the spouses who go on the interview, but we are looking for farther clarification.

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:44 pm

Your question is very similar.
And I just gave you the clarification

Marco 72
Diamond Member

Post by Marco 72 » Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:52 pm

cashew22206 wrote:actually my question is different than his, I asked about the questioning and interview process. Would the two of us be questioned about our relationship, or would our family members (such as my mother who doesn't know we're married) be asked questions about our marriage?
They are most unlikely to question your relatives. If you need more information, you may want to post in the following forum (US marriage based visas): http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35

Here very few people know much about US immigration.

Marco 72
Diamond Member

Post by Marco 72 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:57 am

By the way, I would advise you not to pay any attention to SYH's messages, as he has no idea what he is talking about most of the time.

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:49 am

Marco 72 wrote:By the way, I would advise you not to pay any attention to SYH's messages, as he has no idea what he is talking about most of the time.
Excuse me Marco, I actually do know what I am talking about as I am a US attorney and have experience in immmigration matters for UK, Netherlands and France.

Marco 72
Diamond Member

Post by Marco 72 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:28 pm

SYH wrote:Excuse me Marco, I actually do know what I am talking about as I am a US attorney and have experience in immmigration matters for UK, Netherlands and France.
An immigration attorney should know there are zero chances that USCIS will look up the address of the the OP's mother and contact her about the marriage. Whether or not the OP decides to tell her mother about the marriage is her own personal business and has nothing to do with immigration. Her potential problem is another one: the longer she and her husband live apart, the more difficult it is going to be to convince USCIS that they have a genuine marriage.

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:40 pm

Marco 72 wrote: An immigration attorney should know there are zero chances that USCIS will look up the address of the the OP's mother and contact her about the marriage. Whether or not the OP decides to tell her mother about the marriage is her own personal business and has nothing to do with immigration. Her potential problem is another one: the longer she and her husband live apart, the more difficult it is going to be to convince USCIS that they have a genuine marriage.
Unlikely doensn't exclude the possibility.
You honed in on what she should focus on, it doesn't give you the right to take potshots at me.
And quite right, the longer they are apart, the less credible their marriage and their words become which creates the possibility of immigration going elsewhere to get colloboration which can lead to their mother.
C a n y o u f o l l o w t h i s l i n e o f t h o u g h t?

Marco 72
Diamond Member

Post by Marco 72 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:35 pm

SYH wrote:Unlikely doensn't exclude the possibility.
You honed in on what she should focus on, it doesn't give you the right to take potshots at me.
And quite right, the longer they are apart, the less credible their marriage and their words become which creates the possibility of immigration going elsewhere to get colloboration which can lead to their mother.
C a n y o u f o l l o w t h i s l i n e o f t h o u g h t?
That's not how it works. If USCIS are not satisfied with the evidence they will simply deny the application. The OP and her husband will need to have an interview (just the two of them, no relatives) and it will be decided there and then if the visa is granted or not. See here and here for many examples of how this works.
Last edited by Marco 72 on Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:58 pm

Marco 72 wrote:
That's not how it works. If USCIS are not satisfied with the evidence they will simply deny the application. The OP and her husband will need to have an interview (just the two of them, no relatives) and it will be decided there and then if the visa is granted or not.
Really Marco, nothing is absolute. I made my point and you can cite great experiences, BRAVO, it does not mean your citations and my point are mutually exclusively.

amzad
Newly Registered

Post by amzad » Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:46 pm

i agree that syh has no clue what hes talking about. he seems like an online gangster.

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:26 am

amzad wrote:i agree that syh has no clue what hes talking about. he seems like an online gangster.
Hey newbie, you aren't so credible yourself, so keep your inflamatory comments to yourself