ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA unmarried partner, dissolution, what is the process?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

intfenix1981
Newly Registered

EEA unmarried partner, dissolution, what is the process?

Post by intfenix1981 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:25 pm

Hi I am writing on behalf of a friend. They are splitting up from a relationship - she's here as an unmarried partner of EEA national on resident permit. They were together for 3 years, with 2 years left on permit. I know unmarried partners don't have the same rights as civil/married partners, but is there any chance for her to appeal? If not, what is the procesure to let the authorities know - and how long does it take? Are you supposed to send a letter but then she can keep working until she gets confirmation? I am trying to advise her but can't find any relevant information describing this process on the internet or these posts. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Ricardo

Post by Ricardo » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:34 pm

Is the unmarried partner leaving the UK? If not, then there is no point informing the authorities.

intfenix1981
Newly Registered

Re: Is the unmarried partner leaving the UK? If not, then t

Post by intfenix1981 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:15 am

Well I think legally she is required to as unmarried partners don't have the same rights as married/civil partners in this case, unless there is evidence of domestic violence. Problem is there is no info to guide this process. How much time does she have before she has to leave country? Does she receive confirmation from HO that they received letter if she ever wants to go back?

If anyone has more information that would be great.

p.s. personally, it seems unfair that unmarried and married couples don't have the same rights when it comes to this - if they in the first place proved a durable relationship, and didn't intend to break up.