ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR applied but university is cancelling current visa?

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

abrahman2
Newly Registered

ILR applied but university is cancelling current visa?

Post by abrahman2 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:44 am

Hi there,
I am on tier 4 general student visa (valid till Jan 2016) doing my PhD. On 4th of October I applied for ILR under 10 years rule (came here 4th Oct 2003) and got my acknowledgement letter on 9th October. I have not enrolled for my course this year (2nd year PhD) as I am planning to differ it for the time being. However my university is saying if I do not pay the tuition fees and enroll by 15th October they will withdraw their sponsorship and ask home office to cancel my student visa (I just do not have the £8000 needed to complete the enrollment). Could anyone please advise if this will affect the ILR application I made?

I do not have any other issues as I never over stayed my visa or stayed no more than 70 days in one go, no criminal conviction, did my graduation and masters from reputed university.

I would highly appreciate your thought.
Thank you
Abrahman

sheraz7
Respected Guru

Post by sheraz7 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:55 am

A PHD course normally involve in its 1st phase the course of M Phil, therefore why don't you request them to end this course on that point if as you said that you already completed your first year of PHD. That would be the official way because eventually your visa will be curtailed instead of being cancelled if not enrol for 2nd year. Till getting ILR you must comply with tier 4 rule.
Please donot send PM. Write in open forum to facilitate others too.
REGARDS

manojk005

Post by manojk005 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:39 am

[quote="sheraz7"]A PHD course normally involve in its 1st phase the course of M Phil, therefore why don't you request them to end this course on that point if as you said that you already completed your first year of PHD. That would be the official way because eventually your visa will be curtailed instead of being cancelled if not enrol for 2nd year. Till getting ILR you must comply with tier 4 rule.[/quote

This could be a good approach and could get you additional time for writing by paying very small fee.

abrahman2
Newly Registered

Post by abrahman2 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:09 pm

sheraz7 wrote:A PHD course normally involve in its 1st phase the course of M Phil, therefore why don't you request them to end this course on that point if as you said that you already completed your first year of PHD. That would be the official way because eventually your visa will be curtailed instead of being cancelled if not enrol for 2nd year. Till getting ILR you must comply with tier 4 rule.
Thank you very much for your reply, I will talk to my supervisor tomorrow to see if I could get it finished this way. I will update you all. Thank you again.

nemo999
United Kingdom

Post by nemo999 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:18 pm

Maybe you should have applied in person for ILR and it would have been quicker that way ?

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:22 pm

nemo999 wrote:Maybe you should have applied in person for ILR and it would have been quicker that way ?
An in-person Long residence application is not possible.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:22 pm

You cannot apply for SET(LR) in-person.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.