ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

BEST WAY FORWARD

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

hopeful2003
Newly Registered

BEST WAY FORWARD

Post by hopeful2003 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:34 am

I am currently an overstayer with a National Insurance Number married to an Indefinite Leave to Remain holder. We are both from Africa and living together in the UK at the moment.

I am hoping to make an application for human rights/family visa once my child is born. My questions are:

1. Should my wife naturalize before I make an application to give it weight?

2. What problems can my presence in the UK cause my wife in her bid to naturalize in the future? ( I realise there is a section for partner's details on the Naturalization application form).

3. Should my wife say she is single if she wants to apply for benefits? I am not working now but I used to work in my own name and therefore have a National Insurance Number. I don't want her claiming of benefits to affect future application for me or her but we need the money now.

Please I need your advice as to the best way forward. Thanks very much.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:59 am

1. That may be wise.

2. No it should not, I assume they're aware of your location and status. Bare in mind future intentions requirement for naturalisation.

3. No it must be a couple claim if you are a couple.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

hopeful2003
Newly Registered

Post by hopeful2003 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:07 pm

Thanks Guru for your prompt reply? What I am thinking about is that maybe I might be asked to show my visa when my wife includes me in the benefit application. Also, the amount awarded may be higher than what she is entitled to. Thanks once again.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:11 pm

They'll request your passport. As your partner has ILR s(he) is entitled to benefits and for tax credits a joint claim must be made.
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

hopeful2003
Newly Registered

Post by hopeful2003 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:19 pm

Please Guru, I don't understand point 2 of your earlier reply. I doubt if the HO Know my whereabouts.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:49 pm

Unless you're married or in a civil partnership or divorced/dissolved you would indicate single/never married for form AN and you would not need to declare any of the partner's details.

hopeful2003
Newly Registered

Post by hopeful2003 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:13 pm

Proxy marriage-We are from the same country.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:39 pm

hopeful2003 wrote:Proxy marriage-We are from the same country.
Proxy marriage in UK?
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....