ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Marriage in the UK and COA

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

TheApprentice
Newly Registered

Marriage in the UK and COA

Post by TheApprentice » Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:02 pm

Hi All,

I discovered these boards the other day and think it's great that there's a forum like this out there.

Anyway, I have a few questions that have been part answered by other posts I've read, but I think it might be useful just to ask all the questions I have in one post. I am a british citizen and have recently applied for a COA in May for my fiance who is on a Working Holiday Maker with leave until January 08. If anyone can answer some of the following questions that would be very helpful:

1) How long does the COA currently take to be processed? (I know it says 4-14 weeks, but that's quite a large timespan)

2) We have set a provisional date for the wedding of the end of July. When should we book the registry office for the big day?

3) I understand that we need to serve notice at the designated registry in the borough we live in, but do we also need to get married in that same registry office?

4) Does anyone know the sort of questions that we would get asked by the designated registrar, when we have our interview to serve our notice of marriage.

5) What are the current processing times for the FLR(M) after we are married?

Sorry for all the questions, but if anyone has been through this situation I guess they understand how stressful going through this is, when it really shouldn't have to be!

music
Newly Registered

Post by music » Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:37 pm

I can only answer you Q5
which currently they are dealing may FL (M) application forms. but may be diffent by the time you apply.

turquoise
Newly Registered

Post by turquoise » Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:43 pm

We applied for CoA April 23rd and got it back May 16. We then called the register office in the borough we live in and went in to register our intention to marry on May 31st. They asked each of us several questions: what our partners full name was, their date of birth and their occupation. They asked us these questions while we were in the same room although I talked to a coworker who said she and her partner were separated. We were told that on the day we marry, we have to come in early and will be separated and questions asked again. Have no idea what they will be!

So, registered on May 31 and we're getting married next Friday June 15th (Saturdays were booked far ahead, Friday the 15th was the earliest we could get on a weekday and we are in a bit of a rush so we took that). You have to wait 15 days between registering intention and actually marrying.
I'm pretty sure you can get married in another place but don't quote me on that; contact the Register office to find out.
I will be sending the FLR(M) form off on June 16th, the day after we marry. Have no idea how long it will take to process, hopefully within 4 weeks as the website says.
Good Luck!

Rozen
Diamond Member

Post by Rozen » Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:44 pm

In answer to question 3, the answer is yes, you must give notice at the registry in the Borough in which you live, but no, you don't have to get married in that same Borough if you don't want to.

I'm speaking from my own experience, where we gave notice at the Borough in which we live (outside London), but went on to get married in London, where most of our family and friends are.

We were also asked basically the same questions mentioned by Turquoise, separately for no more than 10 minutes each.

Good Luck for the future!

TheApprentice
Newly Registered

Post by TheApprentice » Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:17 pm

Thanks for the above posts. Turquoise, let us know how it all goes. Good Luck. If anyone has any further advice etc. then please post.