ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

HSMP VISA RENEWD!!!!

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

teeboy
Newly Registered

HSMP VISA RENEWD!!!!

Post by teeboy » Thu Sep 30, 2004 8:32 pm

Hi all,

have just gotten my HSMP visa renewed! I know a lot of you will bombard me with questions but b4 u start i will give you as much information as possible as i will not answer any question that is deemed to be irrelevant.
Meanwhile answers to most of the questions people ask can be found on www.workingintheuk.gov.uk or www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk

I came to UK as a student in 2002 and applied for HSMP after completing my studies in 2003.I got the HSMP Visa on Sept 3, 2003. It was not easy getting a job. I had to continue working in one of the High Street Stores where I was working part-time during my studies.

As the money from that source was not enough, I took a second job with an agency, sometimes i was sent to work with Royal Mail delivering letters! and sometimes i was sent to a factory to pack magazines! But my consolation was that I WAS ECONOMICALLY ACTIVE.

I finally got an IT job in July 2004, 10 months after getting the permit. That job was a contract job paying £10/hr, but in August I had so many interview invitations and I got a permanent job paying just £24k per annum.

With the offer letter, other interview letters, my payslips from the menial jobs i did, i applied for renewal and my application was received on July 30th. I received my renewal letter and passport today, Sept 30th. My visa has been renewed till Sept 3, 2007 (3 yrs).

As for getting an IT job in UK, you may find it a bit difficult, some may not employ u because u've never worked in the UK. Some may not employ you because the client needs somebody in their locality but be patient, u'll get something.

The job i had i didn't apply for it. I posted my cv on the net and an agency called me and link me up with a client. I used the following sites: www.cwjobs.co.uk, www.reed.co.uk, www.totaljobs.com, www.hotrecruit.com, www.jobs.ac.uk (for jobs in academic institutions)

You may not be able to make ur cv to UK standard. In that case, u can contact www.fullercv.com for assistance as I did. I don't know their rate now but I was charged £120, but i don't regret paying that much, it was worth it.!!!

Good luck to you all.

SBS
Newly Registered

Re: HSMP VISA RENEWD!!!!

Post by SBS » Fri Oct 01, 2004 2:47 am

[quote="teeboy"]Hi all,

Hi Teeboy,

Congratulations on your HSMP extension. Can I have a cup of tea now? ha ha..

We are still waiting for the HSMP approval. So there is a long way to reach your status.

Anyway keep in touch with us.

Regards.

Mauhuur
Newly Registered

Post by Mauhuur » Fri Oct 01, 2004 2:58 am

Thank you for pointing to fullercv, I will try them later. But, may be, as a good starting point, somebody can suggest me a good articles (or books) on UK style CV's? I have a feeling that they are quite different from the USA style...

Chess
Diamond Member

Re: HSMP VISA RENEWD!!!!

Post by Chess » Fri Oct 01, 2004 10:16 am

It was not easy getting a job. I had to continue working in one of the High Street Stores where I was working part-time during my studies.

As the money from that source was not enough, I took a second job with an agency, sometimes i was sent to work with Royal Mail delivering letters! and sometimes i was sent to a factory to pack magazines! But my consolation was that I WAS ECONOMICALLY ACTIVE.

Just goes to show the many advantages of HSMP! You can in theory work in a supermarket (economically active) so long as you have letters proving that you have serached for jobs in your field -and obviously accomodation and no recourse to public funds :)
Where there is a will there is a way.

madankumars
Newly Registered

Post by madankumars » Fri Oct 01, 2004 11:15 am

i think this shows exactly how the so called "highly skilled" migrants are not quite what the claim to be!

unless HO increases its treshold again, the HSMP will lost its shine and will be just another backdoor way to come into this country.

tgs

Post by tgs » Fri Oct 01, 2004 11:21 am

Not true. But what will happen is you migth end up with highly skilled ppl doing basic/common work that are not so skilled. Will still increased the skilled labour force for the UK

Chess
Diamond Member

Post by Chess » Fri Oct 01, 2004 11:24 am

Madan

Teeboy eventually got a Job in his field and the economy will benefit

Backdoor or not people ought to be given a chance for 'bettering' their livelihoods...

...I am sure you would be the first person to bring your poorly Father (from Madras) to the UK or Australia to benefit from the 'first Class' health services if there was room for that...

If you reverse the coin - you will see that the UK did benefit alot from the colonisation/imperialism and the 'Scrumble for Africa' - ...

...sorry for diverting away slighly from the OP's good message!!
Where there is a will there is a way.

teeboy
Newly Registered

HSMP VISA RENEWD

Post by teeboy » Fri Oct 01, 2004 11:55 am

am replying to what "madankumars" said

"think this shows exactly how the so called "highly skilled" migrants are not quite what the claim to be!

unless HO increases its treshold again, the HSMP will lost its shine and will be just another backdoor way to come into this country"

I do not know where he is from but I stand tall to tell him that I am Highly Skilled. I hold a Bachelors Degree in Communications Engineering, MSc in Telecommunications and Information Systems from one of UK's topmost universities. I am a member of the IEE, I hold CCNA, MCSE (NT 4.0), MCSE (2000), and I am a Compaq Accredited Systems Engineer. The job am doing now, to me, is a temp job because the pay is low. I belong to the £40 - 50K bracket and that is what am gunning for now.

I have 6 years experience in IT with international companies such as ExxonMobil, defunct Arthur Andersen of USA, and MTN South Africa. I just want to have the experience of working in the UK.

The difficulty in getting a skilled job was due to the perculiar behaviour of recruiters in the UK. But if madankumars is a UK citizen, I want to remind him that the tax i paid from those menial jobs was used to pay benefit to his lazy brothers/sisters and that without foreigners the UK economy will collapse. I am happy the government knows this more than him!

MWazir
Diamond Member

Post by MWazir » Fri Oct 01, 2004 12:10 pm

Agree with teeboy

Initial exposure in the UK market is important and for that reason alone many of the skilled people do not get the kind of remmuneration they deserve.

Also agree on the importance of immigrants in the UK economy. When you see the number of locals on benefits its really appalling. A lot of locals are hard working people but there are far too many aimless drifters. People who come to this country for a better life aim to move up the ladder and thats one of the main reasons why immigrants fare well.

Good luck teeboy!

f2k
Diamond Member

Post by f2k » Fri Oct 01, 2004 2:07 pm

rather unfortunate email from [i]madankumars, i think with Teeboys case is a classic example of how HSMP works. Many will tell you how difficult it is to get the agencies to to look at your CV let alone get a job if you are applying from as far afield as say India or Zimbabwe. the whole purpose of the HSMP is to be able to bring you to the UK and be able to search freely for a job in your sector and the fact that it allows you to do 'menial' jobs is a good thing, cause it means you dont have to go back home early cause you could afford to stay there anymore. many HSMP people i believe are finding way into their favoured fields, it is taking longer for some i know, but fact is the opportunity is there only because that person is Highly Skilled. and i have a lot against people who look down on any job, no matter how manual, or boring it might be, we need to maintain our humility and understand that all jobs are important, and if you can use them to give your family a better life then well done, that is what is important[/i]

madankumars
Newly Registered

Post by madankumars » Fri Oct 01, 2004 3:18 pm

Checkmate wrote:Madan

...I am sure you would be the first person to bring your poorly Father (from Madras) to the UK or Australia to benefit from the 'first Class' health services if there was room for that...
i think you are the only person in this entire country who says NHS is "first class".

to be honest, i think the treatment that my father gets in madras is a lot better, as thankfully, we are able to afford private healthcare with hospitals that are the best in the entire south eastern asian region.

madankumars
Newly Registered

Re: HSMP VISA RENEWD

Post by madankumars » Fri Oct 01, 2004 3:24 pm

teeboy wrote:am replying to what "madankumars" said

I do not know where he is from but I stand tall to tell him that I am Highly Skilled. I hold a Bachelors Degree in Communications Engineering, MSc in Telecommunications and Information Systems from one of UK's topmost universities. I am a member of the IEE, I hold CCNA, MCSE (NT 4.0), MCSE (2000), and I am a Compaq Accredited Systems Engineer. The job am doing now, to me, is a temp job because the pay is low. I belong to the £40 - 50K bracket and that is what am gunning for now.

I have 6 years experience in IT with international companies such as ExxonMobil, defunct Arthur Andersen of USA, and MTN South Africa. I just want to have the experience of working in the UK.

thats pretty strange because when I came here in january '04, i didnt take me more than a week to get a good job that pays over 50k. i am similarly qualified too.

i didnt find anything "peculiar" with the agencies.

madankumars
Newly Registered

Re: HSMP VISA RENEWD

Post by madankumars » Fri Oct 01, 2004 3:34 pm

teeboy wrote:I am happy the government knows this more than him!
hmm.. possibly, but i can definitely say that the government knows better that YOU teeboy

have you seen this?

"UK HSMP to get tougher" - JULY 2004
http://www.workpermit.com/news/2004_07_ ... p_news.htm

Top 10% of the workforce!! ha ha i think the HO has currently sorted their list in descending order

Londonite
Newly Registered

Post by Londonite » Fri Oct 01, 2004 7:59 pm

Well done teeboy. Not bad for someone new to the county.

With any luck, your qualifications should get you a better paying job before too long.

Don't let madankumars bother you. One wonders where he finds the time... :roll:

Congrats on the extension - Londonite
Last edited by Londonite on Fri Oct 01, 2004 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

teeboy
Newly Registered

Post by teeboy » Sat Oct 02, 2004 9:34 am

To madankumars:

i can see that you are selfish and egoistic, so you are praying that the government should raise the threshold so that others wudn't qualify. For your information I got my HSMP when the point requirement was 75. After going thro my form the HO awarded me 90 points!!! I don't know how many points u scored but don't think that you are better than anybody.

As for your getting a job within 1 week of arriving in UK I can see that you naive about certain things. Gaps in cv counts against people at times, I was out of the industry between Sept 2002 - July 2003 because of my MSc course so that counted against me. Most of the recruiters keep on asking d question: "so u've been out of d industry for 1 yr!

From all indications you no longer need to be in this forum, you have achieve all that you wanted, it is people who need answers to some nagging questions about their HSMP application who should be here. I put that post to help people with their renewal. So may u please quit the forum???
[/quote]

madankumars
Newly Registered

Post by madankumars » Sat Oct 02, 2004 9:51 am

hmm interesting.

i got mine too back in september 2003 when the points were 75. i never knew know how many points i got because at that time the HO just issued a letter saying that i qualified.

its a bit sad that the gap counted against you. didnt you have any placement assistance from your uni?

tell you what, its not just the gap, but every hour you work outside of the industry (or in a low paid job) will count against you. so you better start looking for work seriously.

its not me, but the government themselves wish to increase the treshhold, as they have realised that the scheme has become "not so highly skilled". remember they are targetting the top 10% of the workforce. with the current criteria it looks like they targetting everyone except the bottom 10%. you, me and everyone on this board knows that.

you are probably right, i dont need this forum anymore. i just dropped in to find out some tips about my hsmp renewal (i am just looking to stay for a max of 6months more in this country but my visa expires in 3).

everytime I see that the HSMP scheme has become so easy is just provoking me.

good luck on your job search.

catcher
Newly Registered

Post by catcher » Sat Oct 02, 2004 10:04 am

If this is the case,just shut up and logoff from this board.We don't need boosters here. BYW i know u r not even qualified for HSMP as u don't even have a Degree.

madankumars
Newly Registered

Post by madankumars » Sat Oct 02, 2004 10:26 am

catcher wrote:If this is the case,just shut up and logoff from this board.We don't need boosters here. BYW i know u r not even qualified for HSMP as u don't even have a Degree.
hey catch

whats a "booster" got to do in this context? do you speak english?

how typical of the UK government to issue a HSMP visa to people like you! this is exactly the reason i want to get out of this place. this place is infested of people like you.

anyway, i am just having a good time on a saturday morning. thanks for that! are you sitting in your office right now? how productive, this country needs people like you mate...

catcher
Newly Registered

Post by catcher » Sat Oct 02, 2004 10:41 am

do you speak english?

Yes I do, but not in your third class Madrasi style u see.

madankumars
Newly Registered

Post by madankumars » Sat Oct 02, 2004 10:53 am

ha ha you are the 3rd class northie still sitting in 3rd world india - your level of english proves that.

the UK govt. welcomes 3rd class guys like you, which is why i am outta here

catcher
Newly Registered

Post by catcher » Sat Oct 02, 2004 10:59 am

Y better get out of this country fast, otherwise u will be kicked out as u were from Sydney by u r employer after troubling them on u r temporary employment visa.

f2k
Diamond Member

Post by f2k » Sat Oct 02, 2004 11:00 am

please madankumars why dont you stop with your selfish and rather provoking comments. you have had nothing positive to say about the UK and the HSMP visa. we dont need to hear your thoughts like 'HSMP is too easy' its not there are lot of people failing to get thruogh, well done to you if you got in when it 75points, what did you want them to do, close it down after you got in, how selfish can one get really. and if you are so clever then why do you need us 'bottom 10%', or is it "not highly skilled" people to help you with your renewal. if you are as wise as you claim to be then you dont need any heolp from anyone. i dont know what your background is but as you claim to be from 'first class' background maybe it is really eating you to see people you used to look down upon doing as well as if not better than you. This forum is for people to share experience which in turn help those going thruogh the process. its not for people to look down upon other people and to show off. so why dont we all be grown up about it. also the link that you give give for 'UK to get tougher on HSMP' is not from the HO, it merely is speculation. i think even yourself with your high IQ should have noted that. so lets stop these childish games and have positive and helpful discussion please.

madankumars
Newly Registered

Post by madankumars » Sat Oct 02, 2004 11:17 am

catcher wrote:Y better get out of this country fast, otherwise u will be kicked out as u were from Sydney by u r employer after troubling them on u r temporary employment visa.
well atleast i came to london after i left sydney, but if ur employer kicks you out you will be on a platform in india.

f2k wrote:please madankumars why dont you stop with your selfish and rather provoking comments. you have had nothing positive to say about the UK and the HSMP visa.
f2k,

i think everyone is having a rosy picture of the uk, so why dont you not want to hear an alternative view.

i am not looking down upon people who get this visa, but the uk government which reminds me a lot about its indian counterpart.

please, dont deny the fact that the currrent hsmp criteria is not quite adhering to the aim of this program.

look at the previous posts, i did not say anything bad about the people. it was the other poster who started this nonsense... nevertheless, if this continues, i am just having some fun on a saturday morning. dont take offense.

catcher
Newly Registered

Post by catcher » Sat Oct 02, 2004 11:25 am

remeber u r employer did not even apply for your PR.Since he knew that y were kick out material.

madankumars
Newly Registered

Post by madankumars » Sat Oct 02, 2004 11:28 am

obviously you dont know australian immigration rules, shut all your open holes please